• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Same - £470 all said and done isn't an unfair price for a 3070 - maybe £100 on top of that for a high end cooler and decent factory OC - even taking the current situation into account £700 for a 3070 is disgusting.

FEs run cool and quiet and it’s not difficult to Chuck on a safe overclock with AB.

With 8gb, £469 is the most anyone should have to pay for one of these. £500 was my grudge top end but fortunately didn’t have to go there.

Soldato
Has anyone with a 3070 FE played about with the core voltage slider in AB? I assume it wouldn’t make much difference given I’m power limited anyway?

Also, which version of Afterburner are people using? The 4.6.3 Beta 2 unfortunately doesn't let me use a custom fan curve.

Soldato
Just seen there's a lot of undervolt talk here - I was just wondering if anyone has a PNY XLR8 3080 and has had good success with it (I know it's an FE thread!)

I'm running mine at 806mv boosting to 1815mhz which I'm happy with, however noise levels are a little on the high side for my liking if I want to keep the temps at around 65c - I don't know if I have unreasonable expectations for noise or whether the cooler is just pretty crap on this card? It's going to be underwater within a month or so (parts ordered, but will take their time), so I shouldn't worry too much really.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Had similar with my 3070FE - after a lot of playing about the best results were simply whacking the power slider to max and giving it +135 on the core (originally said +150 but eventually found it wasn't 100% stable without backing it down a little). Undervolting accomplished nothing. Likewise mine maxes out about 68-70C so probably partly why undervolting doesn't accomplish much compared to the people who were seeing 70-80C at stock.

Yep, guess it’s just the silicon lottery.

Managed to get +190 but needed +20% core voltage so have settled on +160 for now as I don’t know what any long term effects might be otherwise. I say +20% core voltage but it was still peaking at considerably less than the 1116mV indicated on the curve editor so I’m not overly concerned, just erring on the side of caution.

Getting sustained boost in Timespy at 2160Mhz though so not bad at all on air TBH.

Now I keep eyeing up 5950X’s as not convinced my 2700X is helping. The numbers say different but it’s giving me an itch. :D

Soldato
I've finally decided to try undervolting my 3080FE and have settled on 825mV at 1800 clocks. I was able to get the voltage slightly lower but settled on going a touch higher for stability. At stock I was getting about 1800 at 320W, now getting the same at ~265 - 270W, so a very nice drop drop in power. I used Cyberpunk for the testing.

Though to be honest most games hit my FPS limit of 58 which is set to keep within my 4k monitor Freesync range of 33-60Hz.

Soldato
Has anyone with a 3070 FE played about with the core voltage slider in AB? I assume it wouldn’t make much difference given I’m power limited anyway?

Also, which version of Afterburner are people using? The 4.6.3 Beta 2 unfortunately doesn't let me use a custom fan curve.

Try beta 4 it also now supports Ryzen CPU's.

Also I walked into a right pants storm on Guru3d forum. I saw EVGA had links to beta 4 then asked the question in Guru3d forum and walked into a bit of a tirade by accident asking an innocent question.

Turns out the current Author Unwinder has adopted 0 tolerance policy over there as he's had to deal with EVGA nicking Afterburner and reskinning it claiming its their work amongst other things that seems to have gone on for a while. Also he has been getting a lot of idiots posting stupid questions from all corners and kind of shut up shop of the new releases of Afterburner Beta and threads are closed when people start getting slightly obnoxious or repeatedly asking dumb questions.

Unwinder also lost a family member due to Covid and this has kind of contributed to the "closed shop" type of attitude which was totally understandable. Poor person.

Beta 4 is here https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D]-MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta4Build15910.rar

and latest post from Unwinder

Thanks for your condolences everyone. But life is going on, I'll return to development in nearest days. According to info from MSI my 6800XT sample is finally approaching Russia so I'll be able to work on finalizing Big Navy support in beginning of January then release new MSI AB beta. There will be also new RTSS beta, which will address stealth mode compatibility with some old 32-bit games (reported by @Astyanax here). Also it will fix crash on screenshot capture issue in CP2077 when in-game HDR is set to scRGB (reported by @Haldi here). Also I'll add optional graphs range autoscaling in RTSS overlay editor plugin.

Stay tuned, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

P.S. Sorry, but I cleaned recent repeating questions about 30x0 fan control from a few search haters and will do so silently in future. This thread is not intented for that, I mentioned a few times that it is intended for development news only. Everything you need to know about 30x0 fan control was posted in details before. So no need to be lazy.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-141#post-5871175

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks. You can get the 3DMark demo for free on Steam, which includes Timespy.

I’m not saying that you aren’t getting a better score than stock, just that for me I get better scores with the brute force of a simple overclock using the core slider in afterburner.
Just downloaded and ran it with my settings. I got 12,097 with a 3600 CPU and 32GB of RAM. It looks like it was boosting to 2070MHz at 0.975mV.

Edit - oh that's the combined score. Graphics score was 13,558. GPU reached 76C. CPU reached 85C apparently :o.

Going to run it again with power limit maxed and a +80 on the core and +1000 mem, nothing else changed.

Ok so +80 core resulted in exactly the same score as above...weird coincidence.

+100 score and +1050 memory gives me 13,645. If it's stable in MSFS I'll stick with that. GPU temp reached 77C. I'm glad actually, as those undervolting graphs were a bit erratic and annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just downloaded and ran it with my settings. I got 12,097 with a 3600 CPU and 32GB of RAM. It looks like it was boosting to 2070MHz at 0.975mV.

Edit - oh that's the combined score. Graphics score was 13,558. GPU reached 76C. CPU reached 85C apparently :o.

Going to run it again with power limit maxed and a +80 on the core and +1000 mem, nothing else changed.

+100 score and +1050 memory gives me 13,645. If it's stable in MSFS I'll stick with that. GPU temp reached 77C. I'm glad actually, as those undervolting graphs were a bit erratic and annoying.
Do you have the power slider at 109%? That should give you a slightly higher score too and hopefully push you over 14k :)

The cpu temp seems high and could be throttling too. Are you using the wraith stealth?

Associate

They are a little bugged alright but like my last experience having to use afterburner many years ago if you report an issue all hell breaks loose.

Associate
Yeah I was trying to find a link to Afterburner change log for beta 2/3/4, thanks for links, I'm not sure what 4 gives over 2. All I know is my 3070 zero fan isn't working, not sure if that's Afterburner or not, but at 30% I'm not sure I can hear it anyway.

I actually use Argus Monitor I bought for fan control. My GPU, CPU, case fans all based on what my average 10 sec GPU temp is. There may also be a clash, but since other people report the same zero fan issue maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom