Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
I've been using adblock and dozens of custom host file entries to drop ad servers for so long now i literally cannot use the web without adblock as the bare minimum, i've got my family so use to browsing with adblock they instantly think something is broken when web content loads in it's natural state (which makes me pretty proud to be honest).

Soldato
I used it a long time because its so customisable with css and I love that, there is a but, I recently went back to chromium browsers because its just faster imo, I don't think anybody can dispute that. I still mess about with it, customising, but its not my main browser anymore.

Associate
I have both three browsers, Chrome, Firefox and Tor.

Tor is useful for blocked websites, firefox has better / more useful plugins, Chrome for basic stuff.

Associate
Used Firefox for years but gave Edge a chance a few months back and haven’t looked back since.

To the point I’m on auto pilot when I open up a browser, it’s always Edge.

I know Edge is based on chrome but prefer it a lot, my previous experiences with chrome with slow and crappy. But has been a while since I’ve used Chrome so unsure if it’s different now

Soldato
So my issues with Firefox is simply because this PC (3570k with a GT 710) is under powered.

I have been using a work laptop with modern hardware and it is very zippy, as zippy as Chrome.

Boot the older computer with Ubuntu Live from USB and see if you get a different experience running Firefox?

Man of Honour
I've tried Firefox so many times and I just don't get on with it. I now use Edge (Chromium) and DDG as the search engine. I really wish Safari was on Windows 10.

Caporegime
Could be something my end though lately, Firefox with Amazon is a pain to use when going to checkout.

Chrome = no problem. Haven't tried others.

Soldato
Stick to Chrome, as I said before I love the fact I can customise the UI of Firefox but chromium based are just so much faster, I really don't see a reason to use FF over chromium based browsers. Just my opinion of course.

Associate
I use Firefox still (and Brave) and once you've got ads blocked on your network (e.g. Pi-hole) there's really not much difference between browsers in terms of speed in my experience.

One feature that Firefox still has that most (all?) Chrome browsers don't have is the ability to set a browser-specific proxy. All Chrome browsers I have tried seem to rely totally on the system proxy setting.

Soldato
OP
Updated to FF 85 just now. May not be related but just noticed that ESNI is no longer working.

Anyone else with it enabled able to confirm here.

Last check remains red where it used to be green.

---

OK, so it seems 85 does indeed change something to removes ESNI.

On this PC which was running 84.0.2 ESNI was working, upgrade to 85 and it is not.

---

OK, I can find this. It seems like ESNI in it's current form has been replaced by ECH. But I have no idea if that is enabled yet on ff or even if servers out there support it.

Last edited:
Soldato
@opethdisciple Several, including myself, complained in a bug report with Mozilla about this months ago. They have marked it wontfix and are rolling out ECH instead. Unfortunately nobody (not even Cloudflare) supports the ECH draft yet. They say Cloudflare will 'soon' but for now ESNI (in any working form) is absent for Firefox users. To be fair it's absent for everyone else as well, as Firefox were the only browser to implement the draft early. If you want to continue using ESNI for now, install Firefox ESR and hope Cloudflare et al. catch up before ESR catches up past v85-release.

Soldato
OP
@opethdisciple Several, including myself, complained in a bug report with Mozilla about this months ago. They have marked it wontfix and are rolling out ECH instead. Unfortunately nobody (not even Cloudflare) supports the ECH draft yet. They say Cloudflare will 'soon' but for now ESNI (in any working form) is absent for Firefox users. To be fair it's absent for everyone else as well, as Firefox were the only browser to implement the draft early. If you want to continue using ESNI for now, install Firefox ESR and hope Cloudflare et al. catch up before ESR catches up past v85-release.

:(

Back
Top Bottom