Won't POST... cant POST

Associate
Right, so before now my comptuer has been running fine. Having bought a new chip to give me a little upgrade, I needed to update my BIOS. However, this is where the issues started.
The computer shut itself down mid BIOS update and wouldnt restart. Now when trying to turn the computer on, I get a red CPU light on the QLED display. If I put the newer chip in, I get a RAM QLED display. Either way, I can't get it to boot and so can't update the bios.

The motherboard has the CrashFree BIOS ability, so if I can get it to POST, it should be recoverable...if I can get it there.
I have tried removing and inspecting the old chip, but theres no dirt or signs of damage to either the pins or the socket. Still getting the CPU warning. I've also tried the CMOS clear by removing the battery but no effect.
I have tried using all 4 slots for the ram using either of the two sticks, again, still getting the yellow RAM warning light.
Like I say, this was a fully working system but I'm styarting to draw a blank on what to do next.

System specs:
Mobo: ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming
CPU: (Old) Ryzen 1600 (New) 3700x
RAM: Team Group T-Force Vulcan 2x8GB 3000MHz
PSU: Seasonic Focus PLus 650W
GPU: GTX 1070

Any help would be appreciated - not how I envisioned new years!

Soldato
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process. You can restore a corrupted BIOS file using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive that contains the BIOS file

Recovering the BIOS To recover the BIOS:1. Turn on the system.2. Insert the motherboard support DVD to the optical drive, or the USB flash drive containing the BIOS file to the USB port.3. The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility reads the BIOS file and enters ASUS EZ Flash 3 automatically.4. The system requires you to enter BIOS Setup to recover the BIOS setting. To ensure system compatibility and stability, we recommend that you press <F5> to load default BIOS values

Associate
OP
Would the computer even look at the BIOS if it won't pass the POST? I'm looking at it as more of a hardware issue than a software issue at the minute. I'd have thought that if it was the BIOS being corrupt for example, it would POST but not boot into windows?

Soldato
From a bit more research it seems the Crash Free BIOS thing is pretty useless. As a last resort I would try removing GPU and all other components apart from the CPU and one stick of RAM and try again. Make sure the USB is formatted in FAT32 and the BIOS file is in the root directory. Try a CD/DVD too if you have that option.

Failing that, your board is pricked unless you're any good at BIOS chip swapping!

Associate
OP
OK, cheers guys for the education. I'll start from barebones and ensure that the flash drive is FAT32. Sadly I don't have a cd drive, so that's not an option.
Otherwise, what looked like a cheapish upgrade might well be a full one coming up..... Oh no....,

Man of Honour
OK, cheers guys for the education. I'll start from barebones and ensure that the flash drive is FAT32. Sadly I don't have a cd drive, so that's not an option.
Otherwise, what looked like a cheapish upgrade might well be a full one coming up..... Oh no....,
Just replace the motherboard if its dead b450 or b550 if you want pcie4.

Soldato
I think the Bios file included on your motherboard Disk is named in the correct way try dragging that on to the usb stick and plug your usb stick it in your motherboard back panel usb port.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are trying to flash bios with your old CPU installed?

Have 1 stick of RAM in slot A2.

Try another USB 2 drive.

There is this warning on bios version 4602, so you may have had to do it in stages.

ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom