what to do with these SFF PCs?

Associate
I used to love the small form factor PCs and so I kept hold of them even though they are end of life. Any ideas for what I should do with them? can the cases and PSUs be used with mini itx boards maybe?
or is the truth that they should be thrown away now?

The PCs are shown here https://imgur.com/a/qAOcZMe
and are
1. Shuttle XPC SN21G5
socket 939 Athlon 64 CPU, nForce 410 chipset, 250w PSU

2. Shuttle XPC SN27P2
socket 939 Athlon 64 CPU, nForce 570 chipset, 400w PSU

3. Soltek Qbic EQ3702M
Socket 462 Athlon XP CPU, nForce 2 chipset, 250w PSU

Last edited:
Permabanned
Isn't it crazy once upon a time these machines would have been the best on the market for matx systems and now a lot of people who have them don't know what to do with them as they not powerful enough to run certain things.

I owned a 939 shuttle back in the day and used it for a desktop. They would be good little nas boxes I would think.

Associate
OP
I thought about a nas but they take IDE drives and the 4GB, 14GB and 40GB drives that I have won't go far in today's digital world!
a retro arcade PC might be an interesting project, I have mame and roms on my main windows PC, not sure what I'd use for an operating system, whether all the drivers will be available etc...

Associate
OP
The motherboards are all custom for these models. checking the chipset specs it seems that the Soltek is PATA but the two Shuttle models each have 2x SATA. Found another 80GB drive and a DVD writer in one...woo hoo!

Soldato
I'd suggest the electronics in them is pretty worthless - but if they'll taken a modern ITX board they'll still have use. But those PSUs are ~14 years old now...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I decided to put them up for sale in the members market. Surprisingly 2 of the 3 sold quickly. Maybe I priced too cheaply but that's fine, it's much better than just throwing away.
Thanks for the advice people

Associate
I thought about a nas but they take IDE drives and the 4GB, 14GB and 40GB drives that I have won't go far in today's digital world!
a retro arcade PC might be an interesting project, I have mame and roms on my main windows PC, not sure what I'd use for an operating system, whether all the drivers will be available etc...

Give recalbox or lakka a go on the remaining one if you fancy trying an emulation box, both linux based.

Associate
I feel like old sff pcs will always be well sought after. I've a couple of Shuttle G2 cases which I need to get around to modding to bring up to spec. It's for this reason which I think they'll hold value. I'm surprised there's not more people modding them really, would make a good YouTube channel for instance. With the advent of cheaper 3d printing, it makes it easier to get super clean results.

Back
Top Bottom