***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Genuine questions? Does nobody ever buy a box of Lego pieces and make things themselves any more, using their own imagination? Then take it apart and make something else? Is it all about kits for specific things?

I’ve seen huge kits that are massive and take weeks to build. What happens to them when you’ve built them, do you leave them out to get kicked and knocked so parts come off and you’re continually repairing them or do you take them all apart and put them back in the box? If so, how difficult are they to build again with all the parts merged together?

Yep. Used to do that a lot before the kids came along. Technics kits were bought solely for parts and those were meticulously sorted into boxes.

I used to build robots, cranes, trucks and guns. Walking robots are HARD and hugely frustrating. Tracked vehicles, on the other hand, are easy.

Today, I am sentenced to building a Lego friends cupcake cafe with the girls...

Soldato
Genuine questions? Does nobody ever buy a box of Lego pieces and make things themselves any more, using their own imagination? Then take it apart and make something else? Is it all about kits for specific things?

I’ve seen huge kits that are massive and take weeks to build. What happens to them when you’ve built them, do you leave them out to get kicked and knocked so parts come off and you’re continually repairing them or do you take them all apart and put them back in the box? If so, how difficult are they to build again with all the parts merged together?

No kids in this house so they stay built and displayed. The Millennium Falcon is safely tucked away on the corner of the room so it's not on the way.
I've finally rebuilt stuff over the last 2 weeks after we moved a few years ago. Not a problem with merged pieces, just takes a bit longer.
We have some general lego for the nephew so that's the only time I get creative these days.

Last edited:
Soldato

Nothing gets kicked or knocked over. They are all on shelves, out of the way of anyone. If ever taken apart I use the instructions in reverse and put parts back in bags just like when you buy the sets.

Soldato
Nope, not done that since I was a kid.

Leave them as they are, mostly in my bookcase or on some shelves. If I take them apart they will just be pull down, either in one big bag or sorted by color, per set, not everything together, I aint that crazy ! :p When I built the Bugatti I opened all bags and sorted them after colors then built it, was more fun then doing them per bag as the instructions.

Soldato

I tend to build them then stuff them up on the loft on display occasionally taking apart to build the B model. I actually like following instructions rather than building from scratch as I find it quite therapeutic, something to occupy and relax the brain, especially with a glass of wine. :p

Associate
Relatively new to Lego. 5 or 6 years. Buy it , build it, flog it has always been the mantra.

Never been one of those "investor" types. Not in my nature.

Soldato
Relatively new to Lego. 5 or 6 years. Buy it , build it, flog it has always been the mantra.

Never been one of those "investor" types. Not in my nature.

I was amazed when a mate tells me his brother buys sets and puts them up the attic, unopened, in the hope of making a stack of cash selling them on in the future.

Soldato
I have enjoyed building the 1989 Batwing with my son over the last few days. Completing the set now with the 1989 Batmobile we did last Christmas.
I would say the Batmobile was more enjoyable to build as it has front wheel steering and the pop-up machine guns when you twist the rear flame exhaust, which adds to the technicality.

50789897248_5d13795436_o.jpg

50790763902_9124675b06_o.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for that, I’ll get in touch soon to request them.

I only have 2 bags left on my batwing!
Wuss, mix them all together it makes the models much better value for money:D. I'm really tempted by the batwing, boobile and Saturn v. Would you say the batmobile and batwing are sturdy enough to be played with, I'm getting close to the end of my UCS falcon build and theres no way I'd let the kids loose with it, but I might do with the batman ones.

Soldato
Wuss, mix them all together it makes the models much better value for money:D. I'm really tempted by the batwing, boobile and Saturn v. Would you say the batmobile and batwing are sturdy enough to be played with, I'm getting close to the end of my UCS falcon build and theres no way I'd let the kids loose with it, but I might do with the batman ones.
The Batwing can be played with but the Batmobile has too many elements which easily breakaway. The two rear fins, upper front light areas and engine parts come off easily.
The main car is rock solid though.

Soldato
The Batwing can be played with but the Batmobile has too many elements which easily breakaway. The two rear fins, upper front light areas and engine parts come off easily.
The main car is rock solid though.

i agree with this, the bat mobile is the better of the two I think. That said, I have my bat wing wall mounted now and it looks pretty impressive.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I may have just nabbed the Empire State Building as it was on Amazon.de for just over £60 :o

This is such a dangerous habit :(
Waiting for some bargains to come up in the January, but no dice..

Soldato
Amazon.de is my go to for Lego that isn’t exclusive these days. They often have 30% of the sets I like.

I picked up ‘the sith’ art picture for under £80 delivered in November. £115 on lego.com. Architecture is regularly discounted which is good as not many places stock it here that do discounts.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Amazon.de is my go to for Lego that isn’t exclusive these days. They often have 30% of the sets I like.

I picked up ‘the sith’ art picture for under £80 delivered in November. £115 on lego.com. Architecture is regularly discounted which is good as not many places stock it here that do discounts.
If you don't already, you should use https://www.brickwatch.net/en-GB/

You get a much wider selection if you change the country, but I guess they can't guarantee that those retailers ship to the UK.

Back
Top Bottom