• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to beat the scalpers and get a 3080/6800xt

Associate
Got a link to a good discord for this?

Also, is there a way to add payment details to the nvidia site? Can't see a way to do this.

The Nvidia site links to the retailer's sale page (competitor site, there's only one uk retailer that sells FE cards).

I was blindingly lucky on 23/12 and managed to bag a 3080fe a full 18 minutes after the sale links went live.

Caporegime
The Nvidia site links to the retailer's sale page (competitor site, there's only one uk retailer that sells FE cards).

I was blindingly lucky on 23/12 and managed to bag a 3080fe a full 18 minutes after the sale links went live.
Ah just figured out who that is now. Thanks.

So then since they are selling that and not nvidia itself, does that mean they will also gouge then? Or is the FE a set price regardless?

Would prefer a 6800 but given that there is no ETA whatsoever on them and the chances of getting them for their £550 price is highly unlikely anytime soon, if possible, a 3080FE at £650.... makes the most sense.

Associate

So then since they are selling that and not nvidia itself, does that mean they will also gouge then? Or is the FE a set price regardless?

Would prefer a 6800 but given that there is no ETA whatsoever on them and the chances of getting them for their £550 price is highly unlikely anytime soon, if possible, a 3080FE at £650.... makes the most sense.
Nah they don't gouge on the FE although I had to pay a tenner shipping so £660.

The discord I used was partalert, just google "partalert discord" and there should be an invite on the first result. By far the best discord checker for GPUs/CPUs, I had several others like stockinformer and stockdrops who were always late or didn't show most of the drops at all.

Associate

The FE's are fixed price, £649 + shipping for the 3080.

Soldato

The discord I used was partalert, just google "partalert discord" and there should be an invite on the first result. By far the best discord checker for GPUs/CPUs, I had several others like stockinformer and stockdrops who were always late or didn't show most of the drops at all.

UK Stock Alert was the best discord for me. Alerted me to the 6800XT.

Caporegime

The FE's are fixed price, £649 + shipping for the 3080.

Thanks both!

Soldato

Same here, I had quite a few discords running but eventually turned all the others off because PartAlert was always a few minutes - 30 minutes ahead. Or the others never reported it at all.

Got a 3080 FE at MSRP+delivery on the 23rd.

Caporegime
If I hadn't had problems with the 6900 XT I'd be all over those, yeah it's expensive but where are you going to find one any cheaper?
I guess AMD really did price the 6800XT too cheap if people are ready and willing to spend £800 to £1000 on them.

And the 6700XT could probably sell for £600.

Clearly gamers are very flush with cash these days. Too rich for me, but clearly not for most people.

Associate
Apologies if you're being ironic and it's gone sailing over my head, but isn't that a bit of a stretch? People who work at OCUK are salaried employees, and are entitled to hobbies / interests aren't they?

Unless their hobby is literally 'flaunting wealth in their signature when communicating with their customers', then yes I think they should be able to be a hobbyist of whatever they please.

From what I gather, OCUK's reputation in the context of scalping is declining. I might be wrong about this as I'm an infrequent visitor. Personally it sickens me that any purchase I make on OCUK directly funds a super car hobby, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Perhaps I am the thing that needs to extinguished for having this mindset, rather than the masses who boot lick and worship their betters that directly profit off of them and proceed to gargantuan displays of their wealth off their customers.

Personally, if I had such wealth, I'd be rather more discreet about it. I consider it a feather the in the cap of all of OCUK's competitors that I won't have '0.1% elitism you just funded' rubbed in my face.

Caporegime
Couldn't really give a fig what OcUK's employees do with their cash, tbh.

The only thing that matters is, "Are they cheaper than their competitors?"

The answer, mostly, is "no", so mostly I buy elsewhere.

Occasionally they will have a good deal on something, but it's getting to be quite rare these days.

I seem to recall they were generally cheaper before the takeover. Their new parent company aren't known for being competitive either. They are mostly thought to be pretty dear in Germany.

Associate

Occasionally they will have a good deal on something, but it's getting to be quite rare these days.

I seem to recall they were generally cheaper before the takeover. Their new parent company aren't known for being competitive either. They are mostly thought to be pretty dear in Germany.

We can stop beating about the bush regarding 'employees' and that it's the 'big cheese' we're talking about here.

I recall ******** (I think they were called something else previously) and theoverclockingstore in the time that OCUK survived mediocrity. Personally am starting to wish some of the old competition hadn't died going by what's happening now.

EDIT: ROFL they've got the name of their ancient enemy censored on this forum in 2021.

Soldato

up until about 5 years ago I used to check the homepage for the offer of the day. Bought a few bits every now and again.

eventually became pointless looking

Caporegime
up until about 5 years ago I used to check the homepage for the offer of the day. Bought a few bits every now and again.

eventually became pointless looking

As said in the quoted post, the prices etc went up after the Buy Over, just look at the prices caseking.de have up for 3090's etc, even the radeon 6800 non xt is stupidly priced.

Associate
Unless their hobby is literally 'flaunting wealth in their signature when communicating with their customers', then yes I think they should be able to be a hobbyist of whatever they please.

From what I gather, OCUK's reputation in the context of scalping is declining. I might be wrong about this as I'm an infrequent visitor. Personally it sickens me that any purchase I make on OCUK directly funds a super car hobby, as amply demonstrated on this forum.

Perhaps I am the thing that needs to extinguished for having this mindset, rather than the masses who boot lick and worship their betters that directly profit off of them and proceed to gargantuan displays of their wealth off their customers.

Personally, if I had such wealth, I'd be rather more discreet about it. I consider it a feather the in the cap of all of OCUK's competitors that I won't have '0.1% elitism you just funded' rubbed in my face.
Gibbo was fairly blunt about this; he says in many cases they’ve sourced grey market options which have dramatically reduced their margins, so as to be able to fulfils pre orders around Christmas. This has pushed up the prices of some items.

Arguably that’s giving in, arguably that’s just doing right by their customers, but at least it’s not funding supercars.

Associate
Gibbo was fairly blunt about this; he says in many cases they’ve sourced grey market options which have dramatically reduced their margins, so as to be able to fulfils pre orders around Christmas. This has pushed up the prices of some items.

Arguably that’s giving in, arguably that’s just doing right by their customers, but at least it’s not funding supercars.

Really don't see what that has to do with what I said. I'm now having to rather overtly insinuate that maybe the OCUK overlords should remove pictures of their supercars from their forum signatures. If there was actual stock / good value demonstrable on OCUK over their competitors, maybe my perspective would soften on that.

I'm sure it'd be a horrible tear in the fabric of reality for the enthusiasts of the motor subforum to lose one of their own's forum signatures, but as I suspect 90% of this forum and even less of OCUK's customer base ever visits there, I think we can all bear that tremendous loss. Y'know, bit of sensitivity in the scalping season, bit of professionalism, might go a long way to not building up resentment amongst us huddled penniless peasant masses (in comparison with the super car 'our personal wealth is COVID-immune' crowd).

Associate
Really don't see what that has to do with what I said.
It has to do with this bit of what you said:

...From what I gather, OCUK's reputation in the context of scalping is declining.
It's not so much (allegedly) that they're scalping, so much as being scalped.

I'm sure it'd be a horrible tear in the fabric of reality for the enthusiasts of the motor subforum to lose one of their own's forum signatures, but as I suspect 90% of this forum and even less of OCUK's customer base ever visits there, I think we can all bear that tremendous loss. Y'know, bit of sensitivity in the scalping season, bit of professionalism, might go a long way to not building up resentment amongst us huddled penniless peasant masses (in comparison with the super car 'our personal wealth is COVID-immune' crowd).
Yeah I can see what you mean, but then again they're usually pretty good value and presumably they didn't just buy these cars? Either way I'm going to check this sub-forum out, I love cars :D

Associate
First post, built my first PC last year. Lurked here reading advice, ended up with a rx590 and a 3600. Had planned a 2600x but got a super deal so. Also running 16gb 3200mhz all going great but could see the 590 as the bottle neck.

Then fell in with a 35" ultra wide. Stuck it in roof space. Sitting watching the GPU stock/ pricing since late November.

Was thinking 5700xt, then 3060ti/3070 just depending on price.

Signed up to discord partalert about a week ago. Yesterday it started going mad. But a lot was Amazon. It, Es, De and currently they won't ship to Northern Ireland.

Was looking at a competitor sit with kfa2 3070 sitting in stock from yesterday evening until today. Was so tempted. But then a 3070fe alert appeared. So have just ordered.

Anyone who wants a 3070 there are loads of alerts on discord right now.

Soldato
Really don't see what that has to do with what I said. I'm now having to rather overtly insinuate that maybe the OCUK overlords should remove pictures of their supercars from their forum signatures. If there was actual stock / good value demonstrable on OCUK over their competitors, maybe my perspective would soften on that.

They're not running a charity. They're not selling necessities like medicines or staple foods. They're selling high value luxury goods, and we're free to buy or not buy them.

If people running a decent size business like OCUK can't afford themselves some nice cars, frankly I'd be wondering at their competence.

Back
Top Bottom