Switching from a gaming chair to ergonomic £1,000+ Herman Miller mesh chair or alternatives?

Associate
It's Arrow for me, so assume that's what they picked. I live on second floor so I hope they will help to move it upstairs

Associate
mfavour Ergonomic Office Chair Mesh Chair Heavy Duty Office Chair with Adjustable Headrest, 3D Armrest and Padded Lumbar Support, Tilt Function and Lock Position: I bought this chair for £135 eight months ago after seriously considering Herman Miller and it's really comfortable super adjustable and big. I'm 185cm (6'1") and 93-95kg (15 stone). I could buy a Herman Miller but I can also buy a very decent GPU for the difference. Gets very well reviewed but seems you've already sorted the seating.

Associate
OP
Got my Herman Miller Aeron Gaming Edition Size C chair today...

I gotta say, I'm ******* thrilled!!! I'm soo I bought it and I understand what people say when they mention a floating effect.

Hopefully the mesh stays in place and doesn't break

Soldato
Got my Herman Miller Aeron Gaming Edition Size C chair today...

I gotta say, I'm ******* thrilled!!! I'm soo I bought it and I understand what people say when they mention a floating effect.

Hopefully the mesh stays in place and doesn't break

Nice, glad you're happy with it as well. Having had it for a week or so, I love it.

Soldato
I'm interested in a used/refurbished Aeron mainly de to Sciatic pain and the hope that it would help compared to my cheapy 'gaming' chair.

Edit: Also looking at the Humanscale Freedom I should have mentioned.

Which would be recommended out of the two?

Last edited:
Soldato
I only recognise these chairs as we have several Herman Millers in the office, which were all ordered for people with back problems... or who cry-bully HR about VDU/desktop safety stuff until they get given one.
All of them are broken in some way or another, usually on the adjustment mechanisms.

IME, the best chairs are the ones designed for 24hr use, like in security/reception and dispatcher type roles.

Weird, at my work anyone who complains about back issue gets a level raising desk so they can stand, they don't get a new chair they get to stand

and by the way, modern ergonomics now recommends that chairs should not have backrests as it makes you lazy, the chair should be only the base designed to make you sit upright and in good posture. So something like this is now considered more ergonomic than those expensive Herman Miller chairs https://www.vari.com/active-seat/ST-ACTV.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I like to lean back and slouch in my chair a lot when watching movies or shows and stuff. - Not sure if you can do this in a Herman Miller?

You can, watch some videos to check the range of motion.

Personally I find the aeron incredibly comfortable.It doesn't have the longest back which may make leaning back less comfortable for some.

Associate
Missed this until it was quoted above. With the Cosm, if you lean back, it goes back with you. It's designed to not require any adjustments at all, which was one of the reasons I went for it over the Embody. I'm quite tall (6'1) so an Aeron was out for me, as I want full back support.

It also looks better than any of the other HM chairs IMO. And got comments from the missus about how it's a "grown up chair" in comparison to my DXRacer chair that I had before :D

(picture could do with cropping I realise)

This is what I need to replace the crap Ikea Markus one. Can't see to find a lot with headrests but this is very similar and probably a million times better for my back! Shame no tilt lock function!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’ve come to the conclusion that my Noble gaming chair is causing me a few issues and it’s far from comfortable. I’ve been looking at the Herman Aeron and I can get 20% off the RRP directly from them.

There does however seem to be some refurbished ones for £450 or so, is it worth the extra to get new and the 12 year warranty? I work from home so I don’t mind spending the money.

Associate
OP
I’ve come to the conclusion that my Noble gaming chair is causing me a few issues and it’s far from comfortable. I’ve been looking at the Herman Aeron and I can get 20% off the RRP directly from them.

There does however seem to be some refurbished ones for £450 or so, is it worth the extra to get new and the 12 year warranty? I work from home so I don’t mind spending the money.
If you can get a refurb in good condition, then go for it! I know though that i'll be using mine for many years and take it with me every place I move so bought a new one on Black Friday.

Associate

Hi do you mind me asking how you get the 20%? I've been looking at an Aeron and they dont seem to want to budge on the price for an Aeron Gaming and offering 10% off anything else.

Back
Top Bottom