Anyone got a parcel stuck at a border recently?

Soldato
OP
Quite a few of us in the thread have been stung now it seems, a lot of posters mentioning Germany too.

There is another thread here now called "Postage prices to Europe sky rocketed?" (posted by Craterloads) and it seems to be a similar issue but other other way round. Seems like on that thread that it's a supply vs demand issue.

Caporegime
Quite a few of us in the thread have been stung now it seems, a lot of posters mentioning Germany too.

There is another thread here now called "Postage prices to Europe sky rocketed?" (posted by Craterloads) and it seems to be a similar issue but other other way round. Seems like on that thread that it's a supply vs demand issue.

Yeah I've seen at least 3 mentioning Germany and having zero issues. Mine got here from the other side of the world through Germany in a day.

Just seems like bad luck on your end tbh.

Associate
Most of my stuff outstanding is one supplier in China and according to tracking are all here
  • 到达英国 UNITED KINGDOM,local sorting centre
  • UNITED KINGDOM,local sorting centre
they've been there for over one month but still not due until Feb5th to 15th
Several parcels sent at different times so it's odd they're all at the same place.

I'll be surprised if they turn up.

Caporegime
I've just had an Amazon parcel arrive from Germany, it's taken a little over three weeks. A refund was approved a couple of days ago so now I have to try and sort out payment again.

Soldato
Had a parcel sent from Hungary that just made it past the German border as this all kicked off. It was delayed a day or two as well, so any further delay and it may have been stuck/lost.

Associate
That was something the HMRC proposed mid last year but I can see no recent articles on it.

I just checked some of the Chinese sites and they're showing 20% vat to be added.
Very few though, I can't see how the GOV will collect Vat from China or know it's been paid.

Just noticed post prices have increased by around 23p on the small items I'm looking at that could account for the VAT increase.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not uk related but i ordered a replacement keycap to my G910 keyboard. It shipped from China to Holland in 5 days then sat in limbo from there to Sweden for 6 weeks......
I started a missing package post claim, $5 hardly worth it, then it came back to life on the tracking app and appeared 3 days later....
Said international priority air mail shipping on the jiffy bag... I lold.

Soldato
I had a parcel from eastern Europe stuck in the post for almost 4 months over the summer lockdown :/

Many cargo flights got grounded for ages over there. Then when they started up there was a massive backlog.

Soldato
I just checked some of the Chinese sites and they're showing 20% vat to be added.
Very few though, I can't see how the GOV will collect Vat from China or know it's been paid.

Just noticed post prices have increased by around 23p on the small items I'm looking at that could account for the VAT increase.

Well **** that then.

Soldato
I saw on the Lego site they were not shipping to the U.K. a few days ago, seems to have been swapped for a ‘delay’ message while they clear the back log of orders. They normally come DPD via truck.

Well **** that then.

There’s a reason why cheap stuff from China is cheap. Put it this way, it isn’t because it’s been produced ethically and someone pays the price somewhere whether it’s dodging taxes to awful working conditions or even child/slave labour...

Associate
I'm expecting a few parcels from the UK, they were shipped several weeks ago and were expected before Christmas. However there is no sign of them as yet. From hearing from other expats I think this is quite common at the moment.

Soldato

The price hikes are because no couriers are taking parcels that will be delivered by road - they have a backlog to get through the port as it is.
They're only quoting for air freight which is a lot more expensive.

As for the rest of the thread, 99% is down to the France - UK border issue due to new strain; the capacity of this link for parcels was always quite stretched and the backlog from the short closure has meant a lot is still held in warehouses until there's capacity to clear them.

I've had an absolute nightmare with this at work; air freight was never affected (spare capacity down a little due to less passenger flights and some of the 'held' parcels mentioned above being replaced by air freight) but anything by road sent since mid-December has been glacial.

Soldato
I had a replacement Unifi Dream Machine get stuck from the Czech Republic before Xmas but luckily the reseller in the UK sent me one from their stock as it was going to them anyway.

Soldato
I ordered some water cooling bits from Germany (Aqua tuning) on the 21st of Dec, I picked UPS Prime, strangely this was cheaper than the economy service. It arrived on the 29th of Dec without issue.

Soldato
Quite a lot of my amazon deliveries were coming from Germany, they all got delayed badly by the port closure when the french government blockade us.

Back
Top Bottom