What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

V F

V F

Soldato
Am Guessing i was playing this with my Geforce4 TI 4400 or ATI 9800pro AIW back when it was released in 2003
I can't remember that far back :D

To think, Windows XP was nearly 2 years old and the year of Return of the King. :D Half-Life 2 wasn't even out yet.

Caporegime
I just finally finished HL2 (Half Life 2), HL2E1 and HL2E2. Blast from the past but I never finished it so went back and did so then bought Ep1 and Ep2 in the Steam sale. Ahh, memories, it still looks acceptable and is so tense. That's how you make epic story-driven games with brains.

Currently playing a lot of undemanding strategy games like Stellaris and Total War not only because I love it but because my "temporary" 1660 Super isn't good enough to play the games I want even at 1440p maxed out and I never expected that I would be waiting months for things to become available. As soon as I get my new hardware (5900x/3080) I will be making the time to play through the following games in 4k with everything maxed out:
  • Witcher 3 (fully modded)
  • Skyrim (fully modded)
  • Fallout 4 (fully (fully modded)
  • Jedi Knight Fallen Order
  • Shadow or War.
  • Control
  • GTAV
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Dishonored 2
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
I rarely play games on release and usually like to wait until they are mature, patched and have some good mods out. Plus, I don't spend as much time overall gaming as I used to as I have a lot of hobbies. There are such a big back catalogue of utterly amazing PC games that I will likely be selectively picking my way through them all for some time.

I would have loved to be playing CP2077, but definitely no point touching that for 6-12 months until it's fixed.

As you can see, I love epic story-driven and/or open-world games... it's kind of like the video game equivalent of a good novel. :D

I find a lot of modern games lack depth. Or they require so much time to be competitive its not viable.
I just don't have the time or patience for anything 'competitive'. I play games to relax and enjoy myself and playing multiplayer against people who spend many hundreds if not thousands of hours getting better at a game than you an ever hope to is not my idea of fun. Of course I am generalising and there are some exceptions to this, such as co-op and team-based multiplayer, but for me single-player vs good AI is where it's at for 99% of my needs.

Last edited:
Associate
Chipping my way through Assassin's Creed : Valhalla and MS Flight Simulator 2020. When I finish the former I'll turn my attention to Red Dead Redemption 2 ( which I played a bit on PS4 but prefer keyboard & mouse for shooting etc ) and finishing Control. Splitting my time between PC & consoles - having fun with Demon's Souls and Immortal Fenyx Rising on the PS5.

Associate
Finishing up Cyberpunk 2077 in the next week or so, really enjoyed it despite the odd bug.

On the list...

- Finish the Foundation DLC for Control
- Finish Assassin's Creed Origins
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Quantum Break
- Remember Me
- Greedfall
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Soldato
Currently in progress of the following:
Witcher 3 (Again)
Shadow of War (again)
Kingdom Rush : Vengeance (love this type of games)
Horizon Zero Dawn (on Hold, maybe indefinitely)
Control (On Hold, due to other games)
Cyperpunk 2077 (on hold for 1 year)
Vahalla (Paused So bored of tis after 60 hours)

I much prefer Single Player games now days, Mainly due to getting a LG 48CX (4k 120hz) as a main monitor, not exactly great for FPS :D.

Soldato
Just picked up The Division 2 & Expansion for £4.99! and I'm really enjoying it, 10hrs in and the gun play is far more enjoyable than the first game, which I gave up on after about 4-5hrs, Though it has to be said I prefer the setting of the first game, a snow covered NY is far more atmospheric & nicer looking than a spring/summer Washington DC.

Soldato
Currently in progress of the following:
Witcher 3 (Again)
Shadow of War (again)
Kingdom Rush : Vengeance (love this type of games)
Horizon Zero Dawn (on Hold, maybe indefinitely)
Control (On Hold, due to other games)
Cyperpunk 2077 (on hold for 1 year)
Vahalla (Paused So bored of tis after 60 hours)

I much prefer Single Player games now days, Mainly due to getting a LG 48CX (4k 120hz) as a main monitor, not exactly great for FPS :D.
Why isnt the CX good for FPS? Latency is low and refresh rate is high?.....

Permabanned
Tried modding a few of the older Total War games. Not quite as good as MTW2 mechanics but recovered enough to be fun again. I'd prefer to play RTW2 but that 'pick a card' upgrade is absolutely loathsome, so settled with Attila.

I genuinely resent CA for such an abominable, ignorant change.

Soldato
And size is large, people pop up around corners out of your perception. you need to be quite far back to see the entire screen
I play up close with a 40 inch at 4k and this isn't a problem for me. In fact I think it's better as you can see players and movement from further away due to the size.

Soldato
I play older COD games once they become cheap for the campaigns (can't do the multiplayer stuff on modern FPS games). In fact nearly all the games I play are a few years old and single player - got a couple of the newer(ish) Tomb Raider games to have a go at next.

Quite into No Man's Sky as well, and before that I was working through The Division solo side of things.

Back
Top Bottom