Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Why would you get a new router? You will still have to use the Virgin hub as your modem so it won't fix any of your issues and if you want better wireless LAN you'll probably be better off with an access point.

A better router is always suggested though isn't it. The superhub 3 isn't very good at anything. I'm aware it might not fix my speed issues, I've got an engineer that will hopefully resolve that

Associate
A better router is always suggested though isn't it

Not for VM service speed issues, just when the SH3 lacks features you need for routing (WiFi is a separate issue often best solved by dedicated APs).

I've had many speed issues with VM over two nearly two decades and several properties, but none of my contention or speed issues was ever due to the SH2 / 3 working as a router. I've always used a separate router but every issue has been the same no matter whether I switch back to the superhub being a modem/router or just modem.

Soldato
Just set up the new superhub 3 that VM sent me, it's all working fine, however the light on the bottom of mine is yellow instead of white. Any ideas?

Associate
Soldato
Thanks

This is the same pattern every night

jeN3HjD.png

SpllGvD.png

As you can see, the speed drops around peak time, but starts to increase around midnight

Last edited:
Soldato
... here is my post and speed test from April when I was officially on M500..
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33515929

... which tends to disprove both your points. ;)

As pointed out speedtest results can be inaccurate and in some cases wildly so, for a number of reasons - just look at the VM speedtest page vs normal speedtest vs the desktop app, above a certain point the web based clients are less accurate. One thing that isn’t variabke is the date in VM’s press release, 20th of November, other than closed trials (and believe me, you’d know if you were on one) they weren’t secretly piping you with an extra 150Mbit over provision on a 500Mbit service before that.

Soldato
Thanks

As you can see, the speed drops around peak time, but starts to increase around midnight

Just to ask the obvious, but have you got anything using it at that time? Left a game downloading updates, Sky grabbing a load of OD stuff that it thinks you may like etc. just that would obviously affect the available bandwidth.

Soldato
Just to ask the obvious, but have you got anything using it at that time? Left a game downloading updates, Sky grabbing a load of OD stuff that it thinks you may like etc. just that would obviously affect the available bandwidth.

Nope nothing like that. I disconnected every single device and just left the ethernet in on each of my PC's. No difference

Like I said above, the pattern is the same every day. From about midnight to 5pm I get full speed. After 5pm until midnight it's all over the place

Soldato
Nope nothing like that. I disconnected every single device and just left the ethernet in on each of my PC's. No difference

Like I said above, the pattern is the same every day. From about midnight to 5pm I get full speed. After 5pm until midnight it's all over the place

Could be local congestion, tbh as most places were closed over the dates shown and kids off school etc. I wouldn’t have expected the peak to be 5pm onwards, but people have a nasty habit of ‘following the routine’, so perhaps.

Associate
Thanks

Assuming these results are consistent across several speed tests sites then as others have mentioned in simply looks like congestion. I had this issue for several years and it made a 200Mbps connection at the time reduce to 10Mbps at peak times and worse still a single connection could only achieve 1 - 2Mbps of that which ruled out most streaming video.

So all told your connection isn't too bad by VM standards in some areas, but I would suggest posting on the VM forums and request a discount until fixed (unless you have another fast option available).

In my case I had to wait it out as the only other option was FTTC at sub 12Mbps and VM eventually fixed it and since then speeds have been 80% plus of the applicable level most of the time.

Soldato
As pointed out speedtest results can be inaccurate and in some cases wildly so, for a number of reasons - just look at the VM speedtest page vs normal speedtest vs the desktop app, above a certain point the web based clients are less accurate. One thing that isn’t variabke is the date in VM’s press release, 20th of November, other than closed trials (and believe me, you’d know if you were on one) they weren’t secretly piping you with an extra 150Mbit over provision on a 500Mbit service before that.
Why are you being so obtuse? I'm not new to this as I had worked for quite a few years as an I.T engineer so when I say they were giving me 150Mbit over 500Mb/s that's exactly what was happening. Why? I have no idea and didn't really care, I didn't even contact them just in case it changed and just enjoyed the extra speed.

Actually they were giving me more than 150Mbit because I can see what my actual sustained and average speed is using DUMeter, which I have had running on my computers desktop probably for over 20 years!
https://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

Speedtest actually under valued my real speeds which where usually ~679 Mb/s. Which is what was my sustained maximum speed.

This has been pretty much my modem status page since last April.
50794390143_0674fb5abf_o.jpg

There you can see my that my Max Traffic Rate is 690000278, which explains why I was getting ~679 Mb/s and also shows you were also simply wrong when you categorically said that you can not get 650 Mbit on M600 or M500 for that matter.

You're suffering from congestion, which I had many years ago on VirginMedia. Actually now, my speeds have dropped off over the past week and I'm only getting around 400 M/bs sustained speeds so the network in my area is also bogged down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What are Virgin like with home moves? I'm on PlusNet FTTC topping out at 60 Mbit and have been for around 6 years. VM are currently installing into the estate and once I can I'll be ordering M500 (it says M600 is available but I can't seem to select it). I've had an offer on a house accepted pretty local to me which can also get VM. Ideally I would just wait and order it when I know when I'm due to complete, but due to how busy the market is, Covid putting a spanner in the works and being out of contract with PlusNet I'd rather not wait. If it makes any difference I'll get getting broadband only as I'm locked into a Sky contract presently.

Also, those on M500, what kind of upload are you seeing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom