Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Aren't the cheap nucs an atom z5 or something similar? A lot slower than a Pi4

A 5th gen i3 with 8GB is available for under £85, same seller knocks out 7th gen i3's for not much more or elsewhere you can get a a decent spec (and easily upgradable) Dell/HP/Lenovo SFF. I paid more for my 4GB Pi and NESPi4 and while it does the job I got it to do, it's not really any better at it than the 3B. If it wasn't for the NESPi4, I wouldn't have gone this route, and as it turns out the NESPi4 has some pretty annoying issues.

Soldato
Fantastic idea. It's more of a shame that they didn't launch this earlier in the year, at a time when schools needed to do remote learning and not having enough laptops/tablets for every child to use at home. A bulk purchase of these could have probably bought the purchase price down to £35-40. Chuck in a hdmi convertor, usb mouse and the sd card to bring it to around £50.

Soldato
Would make a great cheap terminal for a network comms room. PoE powered too. Wonder if they'll make an 8GB version..

I would almost bet on it.

I actually just looked on RS site at the current Pi4's, i'm sure on launch the Pi4 came in 1Gb, 2Gb, and 4Gb. But looks like they're now only selling the 4Gb and 8Gb versions.

Soldato
Been thinking about an idea but unsure how possible it would be...

We recently picked up a spin bike which we have in our garage, it's good quality but doesn't have an on-board computer. I've got this little Garmin cadence sensor which attaches to one of the crank arms and can transmit data via bluetooth (e.g. to a phone app)

It works nicely, but has a few irritations - having to have the phone visible the whole time which is annoying if you're also using it to listen to music. So I was thinking whether you could get something like a big segmented display on the wall which is connected to a Pi and will communicate with the sensor, something like:

1. Display is showing a clock with the time
2. When person starts cycling the bluetooth sensor fires up and the Pi detects it
3. The Pi switches the display to show the cadence (rpm) value
4. It also replaces the clock with a timer that starts from 00:00:00
5. Once the cycling is done and the sensor stops transmitting, it resumes just being a clock

I'm happy enough dealing with the software side of this but unsure about the hardware side - likelihood of being able to do this?

Soldato
Official Pi 4 case fan and heat sink is available, it attaches to the standard case.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-raspberry-pi-4-case-fan/

Still think a FLIRC is the best way to go though.

I wonder how well that'd work if not using it for a case.

I've just had a friend print me out a modular racking solution for a few of my pi's, but they have to be mounted without a case. My pi4 has a fan shim which keeps the temps down, and i've got another on the way that i'll have to figure out a cooling solution for.

Associate
I'm happy enough dealing with the software side of this but unsure about the hardware side - likelihood of being able to do this?
Not a hardie myself either but I would have thought it easier/cheaper to use something like an Arduino. Use a hall-effect switch or light switch to count rotations via an interrupt on a digital pin and then display the results on a cheap SPI display. If you can do the interrupt counting on the Pi then by all means use that, I've no idea how that sort of realtime input works with Linux.

Soldato
Just ordered a couple of the 4GB Pi 4's (v 1.2) for presents as they were only £38 and it seemed rude not to :cool:

Whilst waiting I decided to dust of one of my old trusty OG's and see if I could sort out the annoying issue with them not being able to be powered up via IR remote! Managed to find an old NowTV box which I robbed the IR receiver and remote from and after a bit of fighting with ir-keytable I managed to get it to work :D
That said the standby current using this method is still annoyingly high, but I've seen a method that uses a Nano 3 & 5v relay which should be about a quarter of the standby current. Ran out of 5v relays so can't build that until they arrive sadly :-/

Associate
Santa duly delivered a 8Gb Pi 4 yesterday. My first Pi and I am quite impressed.

My Mum bought me a dinky Pi Keyboard and a 2 part aluminium case/heatsink, my partner bought me the Pi itself, a ps, the os and some cables.

It's quite impressive really, have it running at 1080p on the tv and it seems quite snappy for basic tasks, so far have installed Gimp, Firefox and Inkscape with no problems at all and Quake III which is not running very well at the moment, a few tweaks needed.

Amazingly my old gaming mouse is actually bigger than the Pi so it looks very silly on the coffee table.

Out of idle curiosity I will try a few different versions of Linux on it, possibly via a M.2 SSD and a USB 3 adaptor.

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting a RP4 and an SSD or two to be a very basis NAS running Open Media Vault. I'm not sure how much RAM I need for this kind of thing. Should I get the 8GB model or would 4GB be more than enough? There won't be any RAID implemented.

Back
Top Bottom