What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Associate
After a 5+ year hiatus, I reinstalled Simbin Race 07 and Legends. Installed all the addon's (Injection, Race On, Retro Experience). I used to race online but even against the AI, it has its flaws but oh, such great games!
Take GT Legends for instance, racing a small Lotus Elite against a big big block US muscle Chevrolet; you will demolish the Chevy in the turns, only for the Chevy to come charging back on the straight... every lap... (the AI driver is unrelenting, they are a machine :eek:). Makes for such good and tactical racing. Yep, AI has its flaws, first turn, they are slow, but once they spread out, it gets so much better.

Tonight I was thinking that the racing elite will turn their nose up, only playing Simbin Race and GTL, even after all this time, by gum, they are such good games! The cars give so much feedback, oversteer and under, you feel it happen, clip a curb and you spin, you know next time to avoid the same curb. For 2009 graphics, with bumped up AA, it looks (to me) awesome, none of the overdone blur effects, simply clean and crisp.

Caporegime
I play up close with a 40 inch at 4k and this isn't a problem for me. In fact I think it's better as you can see players and movement from further away due to the size.
That's a very subjective opinion, because obectively speaking and following the laws of physics it is not better for your peripheral vision to be sitting so close to such a large screen. You see less of a scene at once and need to move your head more often and so your reactions are slower.

A 32" at normal desktop viewing distance is pushing it for the limit of when a monitor gets too big for basic ergonomic principles. When it gets bigger than that, you should be moving further back from the screen.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Just finished the single player campaign for Creeper World 4. Very good game and looking forward to getting my teeth into the rest of the levels

Caporegime
That's a very subjective opinion, because obectively speaking and following the laws of physics it is not better for your peripheral vision to be sitting so close to such a large screen. You see less of a scene at once and need to move your head more often and so your reactions are slower.

A 32" at normal desktop viewing distance is pushing it for the limit of when a monitor gets too big for basic ergonomic principles. When it gets bigger than that, you should be moving further back from the screen.
Or you can just create a 1:1 3440 x 1440 window in the centre of the screen and have the best of both worlds / adjust to suit application and preference.

Associate

Absolutely love this thread. Just went away from gaming for ages due to mega kids duties swimming football etc but lockdown made me think of what I was missing ( last computer build was core2due with gfx 5850) so ordered some new kit and like lots waiting for it to turn up...

Anyway echo comments re competitive online as can’t spare the hours.

I liked Homeworld, dawn of War, Starcraft 2, Baldur’s Gate, FTL - much new like that? Seems to me indie can be decent.

is Star Wars squadrons like X-Wing (I’d prefer) or Rogue Squadron (like less)? Any decent strat around?

Soldato
Star Wars squadrons like X-Wing (I’d prefer) or Rogue Squadron (like less)

More the former, you play entirely from the cockpit and dictate the balance of your ships attributes. That said they've dressed it up a little for the modern audience, boost drift mechanics, perks level unlocks, but nothing too overpowering or unbalancing.

There's a single player story mode, i wouldn't say it as rich in the lore as the lucas games from back in the day. The game is more focused on the multiplayer aspect, which is a lot of fun and quite spectacular in virtual reality.

Soldato
I liked Homeworld, dawn of War, Starcraft 2, Baldur’s Gate, FTL - much new like that? Seems to me indie can be decent.
Pillars of Eternity will scratch the Baldur’s Gate itch in terms of looks and gameplay. People will say Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 but they aren’t a patch on Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 in my opinion. I really didn’t enjoy them much.

Associate

played Quake III, Quake live, World of Warcraft for many years

more recently
GTA V = loved and finished single player, not interested in multiplayer and would happily pay decent money for single player missions
RDR2 = played about 50%, but went on holiday in summer and never went back to it (great game, but not sure If I found it a bit too slow)

contemplating
dusting off rarely used Oculus to find active games so i can lose lockdown weight
Cyberpunk 2077

Associate
More the former, you play entirely from the cockpit and dictate the balance of your ships attributes. That said they've dressed it up a little for the modern audience, boost drift mechanics, perks level unlocks, but nothing too overpowering or unbalancing.

There's a single player story mode, i wouldn't say it as rich in the lore as the lucas games from back in the day. The game is more focused on the multiplayer aspect, which is a lot of fun and quite spectacular in virtual reality.

Pillars of Eternity will scratch the Baldur’s Gate itch in terms of looks and gameplay. People will say Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 but they aren’t a patch on Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 in my opinion. I really didn’t enjoy them much.

thanks to both! Yeah due to my old rig I’ve been playing old games mainly apart from non resource hungry stuff like FTL and I’ve not really been looking at new games. Much in the way of strat around (Sc2 esque maybe) ?

Associate
Mostly Valorant atm, was playing Borezone but that got way too infuriating.
Before my xb gp ran out I was also running through Doom Eternal
Add a smattering of DayZ and that's about it!

Associate
Hades - GOTY for me, hope they add more content
Kindom rush vengence - loved these on iOS and now steam
Immortals Fenyx rising - got hooked on this, what a nice surprise, ran great too.
Doom eternal - got a bit annoying, very high tempo and more frustrating than 2016
Cyberpunk - didnt read into it too much and avoided the drama, a good game so far but not hooked me just yet.

Caporegime
FS2020 although can't get it to run in VR,Star Wars Squadrons - epic in VR.... ??? RDR2 Battlefield 2, Battlefield V and I worked through all the Campaign / Single player in BF 1,3,4 & V over Christmas at Hard which I thoroughly enjoyed my Favorite "modern" Battlefield game is Bad Company 2, Love that almost as much as Battlefield 2..... and still waste hours on GTA V.

Also still play Acornsoft Elite,Aviator, Revs and Starship Command regularly on a BBC Micro Emulator, I love modern PC gaming but still enjoy the 8 bit stuff as much as I did back in the early 80's.

I'm 50 in 12 days... :(

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Pffft 30+ years I arrived with Pong ;) Donkey Kong was Next Gen!

After the xmas deals and Epic freebies....

Tropico 5 - tremendous game really enjoying that, was on a to do list for a long time.
Stranded Deep - not bad idea not bad
Snowrunner - really relaxing time sink

Recently finished Dishonoured which I really liked and makes me really want a new Thief game. Or a Tenchu/Thief style game.

Still have Jurassic World to look at and Arise.

Have a shed load on standby waiting for a 3070 to boost me up a bit. It probably has not even been built in Taiwan yet!

Annd for the OP

Warzone is probably the best BR shooter for sure on multiplayer at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom