*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
To be fair he may not be getting a chance to do anything useful, a while back I read something about the working conditions at UI. It sounds like a complete cluster. Teams being told to change direction regularly, entire depts getting terminated etc etc. All at the whim of the owner.

When he arrived it was all going to be unicorns and gravy. He added Suricata to the USGs as IPS/IDS and thereby probably cost UBNT thousands of sales because all of a sudden perfectly good gigabit capable routers were running at 115Mbps processing pointless firewall rules. Maybe we all had too many expectations. His first major project was the USG-XG-8 and we all know what a success that was(n’t). Then he masterminded the UAS-XG (a Supermicro server rebranded to UniFi running a switch, a copy of the controller software and had hard disks to record from UniFi Video cameras - sound familiar?) which flopped, then he (and I do believe it was him) told Robert Pera that the old Vyatta USG system had to go and was cleared to start rewriting it as UnifiOS or UBiOS. And that’s kind of where we are now. We have the UDM which is good as far as it goes, but for the money it looks expensive. We have the unadulterated mess that is the UDM-Pro (I see they killed another bunch of units with the 1.8.5 certificate firmware update) and the UXG might be his first truly successful project. If it launches and it works properly. So far it is looking pretty hopeful.

Now, none of this was probably helped by UBNT moving the Controller team to Kraków in Poland last year and losing a bunch of developers in the process or the pandemic ruining production of UXG EA units but you’d have to say right now he needs a win in the results column. He still has massive goodwill and he’s living off past credibility but how long can UBNT survive without a proper UniFi router?

Soldato
So as it currently stands, not a good start at UI for him...

They moved to Poland for a race to the bottom re costs then...

No, I think they REALLY wanted two new staff. One was an American living in either Holland or Germany and the other was a Polish national. So to get the guys they wanted they moved the whole team to Kraków. I think it would have been much less disruptive and cheaper to bring the new guys to Utah but if the mountain won’t come to Mohammed, then Mohammed has to go to the mountain.

Caporegime
Their product ranges are hilarious though, it shouldn't be too surprising that they're a mess of an organisation. I've never seen another company that has LED lighting under the same division as a 48 port SFP28 switch.

Soldato
I sometimes get the impression that Robert Pera phones up some team leader and says something like "I'm building a new house - what do we have in terms of LED lighting for my garage? And I need a video doorbell!" and the Team Leader says = "Yes, no problem we can do that right away..." and then they make it for him and try to sell it to everyone else.

Soldato
No, I think they REALLY wanted two new staff. One was an American living in either Holland or Germany and the other was a Polish national. So to get the guys they wanted they moved the whole team to Kraków. I think it would have been much less disruptive and cheaper to bring the new guys to Utah but if the mountain won’t come to Mohammed, then Mohammed has to go to the mountain.
That sounds ridiculous. Why can’t they just work out a way to work remotely around the shifts?

Soldato
Saw a YouTube video, not that is was very informative of someone's early access UXG-PRO, wonder how this device is going, will it arrive or is it already a lame duck..?

Soldato
Saw a YouTube video, not that is was very informative of someone's early access UXG-PRO, wonder how this device is going, will it arrive or is it already a lame duck..?

Well, imagine a UDM-Pro without the Protect, HDD or switch and that’s basically where you are with the UXG-Pro. The firmware is fairly stable (same as or better than UDM-Pro) and it’s VERY fast. Our leased line in our Salford Quays office is 2Gbps and it might be able to process IPS (slightly harder than IDS) at the full line speed. Thats if we had one. Ahem!

That’s VERY fast. Is it worth $500+import duties? No. We have a Supermicro Xeon D Superserver that costs about the same and will process the same routing and edge protection functions through Untangle at the same speed. There is a ‘hope’ on the UBNT forums that the UXG-Pro has been priced UP to stop hobbyists buying it and focus the development work with ‘professionals’. The extension of that ‘hope’ is that when it launches it launches at $275 to directly replace the USG-Pro.

Soldato
Well, imagine a UDM-Pro without the Protect, HDD or switch and that’s basically where you are with the UXG-Pro. The firmware is fairly stable (same as or better than UDM-Pro) and it’s VERY fast. Our leased line in our Salford Quays office is 2Gbps and it might be able to process IPS (slightly harder than IDS) at the full line speed. Thats if we had one. Ahem!

That’s VERY fast. Is it worth $500+import duties? No. We have a Supermicro Xeon D Superserver that costs about the same and will process the same routing and edge protection functions through Untangle at the same speed. There is a ‘hope’ on the UBNT forums that the UXG-Pro has been priced UP to stop hobbyists buying it and focus the development work with ‘professionals’. The extension of that ‘hope’ is that when it launches it launches at $275 to directly replace the USG-Pro.

Interesting info again, shame it's just a faster UDM-PRO without the other bits, although there were utterly pointless lol.

I've got Untangle on a PondDesk at the moment for my 70/20 ADSL connection, but I have a Dell PowerEdge R220 to go into the loft in the rack when it gets done this year. It's got Sophos XG on it at the moment all setup nicely. May move it to Untangle. Prefer the FW rule structure on Sophos XG.

2Gbps connection, very nice lol bigger than most corporate connections I've worked on including FTSE 100 companies.

Soldato
Interesting info again, shame it's just a faster UDM-PRO without the other bits, although there were utterly pointless lol.

I've got Untangle on a PondDesk at the moment for my 70/20 ADSL connection, but I have a Dell PowerEdge R220 to go into the loft in the rack when it gets done this year. It's got Sophos XG on it at the moment all setup nicely. May move it to Untangle. Prefer the FW rule structure on Sophos XG.

2Gbps connection, very nice lol bigger than most corporate connections I've worked on including FTSE 100 companies.

I was working on a security contract with a company in Nelson in Lancashire who rented their factory from Daisy. Daisy had some kit they maintained in the building and I caught this guy wandering around after hours and I stopped and challenged him. He was someone very senior in Daisy and I saw him around a few more times and we got chatting and he did me a deal on the office. It’s pretty pointless, but nice for testing. The pings are awesome :)

Soldato
Nice!

Daisy although they make me shudder with the **** I've had to deal with years ago due to them. LOL

They ****** a mate of mine off so much, he got the account manager to drive to their office for a meeting. Think it was circa 4 hour round trip. Purpose of the meeting, to tell them their getting kicked off the re-tender lol. Account manager wasn't very happy.

Soldato

How much traffic are you doing SSL inspection on? Selected websites or for all traffic with the cert installed on?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato

That’s VERY fast.

I've mentioned it before but I used to sell IPS appliances for a vendor, a couple of years ago an appliance capable of 2Gbps of inspection throughput was not cheap! Granted the stuff running on the box might have been more advanced than running just Suricata (or not, been a while since I looked into these things), but still doing stuff at that line speed for not much money is pretty good.

Soldato
Everything. On both systems.

I had everything on with Sophos XG, but had not trusted issues with certain sites. Amazon.co.uk being one. Need to investigate further again.

On untangle I’ve got it working for key sites I visit, but planning on enabling the all sites rule etc.

Will then see how much of a CPU hit the Pondesk system takes with the Atom CPU.

Soldato
Current certificate issues on the Untangle is TLS 1.3, but that is addressed apparently in 16.2, which I'm not on at the moment.

Just waiting for the Unifi USW-Lite-16-PoE-EU to come back into stock. Might look at USW-Lite-8-POE-EU too in due course.

Back
Top Bottom