Razer - THX SPATIAL AUDIO

Soldato
Wow.... downloaded the trial from here and I'm blown away

https://www2.razer.com/ap-en/thx-spatial-audio

The accuracy of the sound is amazing, played some Siege and COD:CW / Warzone and the different between this and the Soundblaster SBX Pro Studio is night and day. Don't get me wrong that did 7.1 kind of well but it lacked the sound distancing e.g. footsteps would be coming from one direction but I couldn't tell how far

But with THX Spatial its exactly how I want it. I tried Dolby Atoms on a free trial and it was meh imo.

This coupled with my ancient Corsair VOID PRO Surround Premium headset is top combo :)

Soldato
OP
Tried it and much like all the others, it sounds interesting at first but ended up resorting to standard stereo.

Thanks for sharing all the same.

Maybe its game specific? Dolby Atmos didn't do much for me but this is literally a game changer for my Siege and COD gaming

Associate
Tried it but doesn't work if you have a creative ae5 card, on either headphones or speakers even in direct mode. Do remember trying out their old surround sound software and it was pretty good before I got the sound card so this may be good for standard devices. Thanks

Soldato
Maybe its game specific? Dolby Atmos didn't do much for me but this is literally a game changer for my Siege and COD gaming

Yeah, its defo game-specific. If you enable the game-specific profiles, it lists all your games. Most of the games that don't support just give you 2 options. Stereo or Spatial. Go to something like Modern Warefare that is and you get about 6 options. I tried them all. Some were interesting, some just downright weird :p.

Soldato
OP
Tried it but doesn't work if you have a creative ae5 card, on either headphones or speakers even in direct mode. Do remember trying out their old surround sound software and it was pretty good before I got the sound card so this may be good for standard devices. Thanks

That's strange, I have a SB Z and it works for me. The software is just a layer in-between your sound card and Windows 10 so it shouldn't matter what sound card you have

Associate
Digging up an old post here but has anyone had any good experiences with other softwares? I have tried most now. Red scape is one I haven’t heard to much about for gaming.. every time I end up back with atmos, maybe it is just because I am used to it

Associate
Digging up an old post here but has anyone had any good experiences with other softwares? I have tried most now. Red scape is one I haven’t heard to much about for gaming.. every time I end up back with atmos, maybe it is just because I am used to it
I find I swap between Dolby and DTS depending on the game or headphones I am using, slight preference for DTS but both sound best to me. Not tried any other software as these are built into most games anyway I think

Associate

For me recently I've been using either of Dolby Atmos for Headphones or DTS Headphone:X. More so on the Xbox (just got a Series X). Like the other poster a slight preference for DTS, which feels slightly clearer. I also like that with the DTS App you can completely test the 360 sphere of sound around you, unlike Dolby's app that just includes some demo videos. I was trying Division 2 on the Series X last night and was impressed by the sound mix. I've read a number of times that Performance mode in Dolby Atmos for Headphone App should be turned off but haven't investigated this myself.

I used to own the SoundBlaster ZxR and X7 which I would use with (some) SBX settings enabled and always really liked their virtual surround. Whether it was on PC or on XBO/PS4 (via Optical into the X7). But that said these days I tend to use either plain Stereo or one of the 3D Spatial Codecs above. Which depending on the game, can be very impressive. I've yet to purchase a PS5 so can't comment on Tempest 3D audio, although to this day still regard Horizon Zero Dawn's 3D audio on PS4 as one of the better implementations of 3D audio I've heard. Although it is limited to its old proprietary hardware solution and I still don't know whether that is fully supported on PS5.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow.... downloaded the trial from here and I'm blown away

https://www2.razer.com/ap-en/thx-spatial-audio

The accuracy of the sound is amazing, played some Siege and COD:CW / Warzone and the different between this and the Soundblaster SBX Pro Studio is night and day. Don't get me wrong that did 7.1 kind of well but it lacked the sound distancing e.g. footsteps would be coming from one direction but I couldn't tell how far

But with THX Spatial its exactly how I want it. I tried Dolby Atoms on a free trial and it was meh imo.

This coupled with my ancient Corsair VOID PRO Surround Premium headset is top combo :)

A good high quality pair of headphones in STEREO will beat this hands down in hearing enemies - you will not hear more details and easier and have a wider soundstage but you won't need DSP that destroys the frequency curve

this software and others like it are there to try and make crappy cheap headphones sounds slightly better but they are all quite limited

Also, if you insist on using this software, as far as I'm aware reviews have shown that the absolute best one is the Dolby Atmos app that's embedded in windows

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A good high quality pair of headphones in STEREO will beat this hands down in hearing enemies - you will not hear more details and easier and have a wider soundstage but you won't need DSP that destroys the frequency curve

this software and others like it are there to try and make crappy cheap headphones sounds slightly better but they are all quite limited

Also, if you insist on using this software, as far as I'm aware reviews have shown that the absolute best one is the Dolby Atmos app that's embedded in windows

I disagree, this software with my Razer Blackshark V2 is the best combo I've had and I've been using headsets since the Unreal Tournament days

Soldato
OP
Upgraded to Windows 11 and for some reason this sounds pants now. It's throwing all the sound at me at once so directional audio is drowned out. I've stopped using it until Razer update the software.

Soldato
OP
After being fed up of having to uninatall them reinstall the THX software I decided to try something else.

Both Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone X are on sale so I purchased them to try out.

Dolby Atmos gave no real difference to normal stereo windows 11 sound, in fact it sounded worse at times in terms of clarity and positional audio.

DTS headphone X is.... Something else! The sound is crystal clear, the positional audio is the best I've experienced. I could easily tell where shots were being fired from, footsteps and explosions etc... Its all better quality audio as the bitrate is higher than Dolby.

There's a 14 days trial at the moment in the MS Store I strongly suggest anyone to try it out.

Soldato
After being fed up of having to uninatall them reinstall the THX software I decided to try something else.

Both Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone X are on sale so I purchased them to try out.

Dolby Atmos gave no real difference to normal stereo windows 11 sound, in fact it sounded worse at times in terms of clarity and positional audio.

DTS headphone X is.... Something else! The sound is crystal clear, the positional audio is the best I've experienced. I could easily tell where shots were being fired from, footsteps and explosions etc... Its all better quality audio as the bitrate is higher than Dolby.

There's a 14 days trial at the moment in the MS Store I strongly suggest anyone to try it out.

Yep, Totally agree. I used Atmos for a few years but recently tried DTS due to a recommendation on Reddit. For positional accuracy and fot steps in games I play, I seemed to be a big difference. Dolby sounded muddled and focused on bass. I'm enjoying DTS now. Luckily it was a free license with my motherboard.

Soldato
I am still using my sennheiser GSX 1000 for me nothing has come close to how this creates a 7.1 surround sound.
What ever sennheiser is doing is truly next level, you do not get that horrible echo sound effect that has affected everyother virtual surround sound that I have tested.

Back
Top Bottom