• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will GPUs return to normal pricing....

Associate
Don't buy from scalpers guys no matter how desperate you become they really are some of the worst representation of human POND SCUM.

I did and not only did the scalper send it to the wrong address... But refused to refund or resend once it was returned to him by royal mail. Then had the cheek to start accusing me of trying to scam him!!! :confused:

I'm now having to going through a dispute on ebay to get my money back.... :mad:

I REPEAT... DON'T BUY FROM SCALPERS.. I'll knock the ****** out if i'm ever drive pass his neck of the woods! I have his name address and even a copy of the deeds to his house which I got from the land registry office!

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends which side you are on.

I have just sold a 1070 for £280 and a 970 for £115 on eBay. I paid around £400 for the 1070 4 years ago and the 970 has been sat in the drawer for even longer.

A good time to upgrade, if (and I agree it is a big if!) you can get the upgrades at MRSP or close as this situation has without doubt pushed up used values which lowers the overall cost of upgrading.

I'm not upgrading, so it's lose/lose for me. I'm not paying over inflated Ebay prices for used GPUs.

Soldato
I've said this before and I'll say it again, its gonna get even worse. If you have a look at all the major retailers, theres absolutely nowt in stock, and that includes as has been stated earlier, even stocks of 1050ti cards! a few months ago you go on the bay and there'd be 15-20 pages of rx570, rx580 cards both 4gb and 8gb versions, now theres about 15-20 cards in total, the cheapest is about £150. they used be about £80-£100 a while back. To me, thats an indication that something is seriously wrong here with the supply chain. Now theres that pic of the mining rig being put together using 78 Palit 3080 cards, where did they get that many palit 3080s from? not his local bestbuy, thats for sure, probably straight from the distributor, which means cards are now not even getting into the retail chain in sufficient numbers I reckon, which to me says that the mining boom is starting again in earnest, so couple that up with the general state of the gpu market as it stands is gonna make it even worse.

Caporegime
Don't buy from scalpers guys no matter how desperate you become they really are some of the worst representation of human POND SCUM.

I did and not only did the scalper send it to the wrong address... But refused to refund or resend once it was returned to him by royal mail. Then had the cheek to start accusing me of trying to scam him!!! :confused:

I'm now having to going through a dispute on ebay to get my money back.... :mad:

I REPEAT... DON'T BUY FROM SCALPERS.. I'll knock the ****** out if i'm ever drive pass his neck of the woods! I have his name address and even a copy of the deeds to his house which I got from the land registry office!
I'm not sure why you'd expect scalpers have any ethics :p It's blatantly obvious what type of people you're dealing with :p

Associate
Have to say I was pretty disappointed to see the prices of 3080s - my current PC is 6 years old now, when I built it I paid £380 for a 980 from OCUK. The 980 hadn’t been out long and other than the Titan it was the top card at the time I believe. I assumed the 3080 would be around £500 when I started looking but it looks like I’ll be going for a 3070 instead, it’ll be the first time I’ve gone for a ‘7’ card instead of an a 8 from nvidia (previously had a pair of 8800s, and 9800s in sli)

Soldato
This is all so easy, unless you need it for a job just don't buy it. No-one needs to buy one otherwise. I think what annoys people is their own weaknesses being taken advantage of and they feel a lack of control by being "forced to pay high prices". I'll just turn down a few settings or just go and do something else.

I suspect there are a lot of younger posters who haven't experienced the bad old days when computing was very expensive, unaffordable to many, and moved rapidly. That soon made your expensive hardware a worthless paperweight in a very short time.

Caporegime
OP
This is all so easy, unless you need it for a job just don't buy it. No-one needs to buy one otherwise. I think what annoys people is their own weaknesses being taken advantage of and they feel a lack of control by being "forced to pay high prices". I'll just turn down a few settings or just go and do something else.

I suspect there are a lot of younger posters who haven't experienced the bad old days when computing was very expensive, unaffordable to many, and moved rapidly. That soon made your expensive hardware a worthless paperweight in a very short time.

Pretty much.

I've finished cyberpunk now so the need/want for a more powerful gpu has dwindled as my OC vega 56 still handles the majority of gaming perfectly ok with high/mostly maxed settings (1440 locked at 60 fps when on my oled tv and between 48-144 fps on my freesync monitor) so I am somewhat back to the wait this whole **** show out and see what happens come the time.

Soldato
This /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I am torn on interpretation for this reply.

The Geek in me is saying this is coded management consulting speak for the beer factory theory aka Bullwhip effect.

Non-Geek: Two finger salute.

Joe Bloggs: he got his finger stuck on his phone whilst ordering a chinese.

Caporegime

Yes and no. All it takes is someone else to have less self control than you do, and you will keep losing out.

The scalpers will exist until every person on the planet willing to pay that price has done so.

Only then will you be able to get anything at non-scalped prices (unless you are very quick or use bots yourself).

We can wait, but due to the low amounts hitting the market in the first place, and the number of people lacking self control (or having a legit desperate need), the wait could even be another 6-9 months yet.

That is 6-9 months of misery and scanning Discord and pressing F5 and generally just being ****blocked :p It is turning this hobby into an ordeal.

Soldato
Yes and no. All it takes is someone else to have less self control than you do, and you will keep losing out.

The scalpers will exist until every person on the planet willing to pay that price has done so.

Only then will you be able to get anything at non-scalped prices (unless you are very quick or use bots yourself).

We can wait, but due to the low amounts hitting the market in the first place, and the number of people lacking self control (or having a legit desperate need), the wait could even be another 6-9 months yet.

That is 6-9 months of misery and scanning Discord and pressing F5 and generally just being ****blocked :p It is turning this hobby into an ordeal.

I'm lucky, in that I have quite a few hobbies and scalpers seem a minor inconvenience when you've had changes in the law scupper your hobby! I'm not too wedded to anything these days, nothing is completely certain ( death, taxes...) or lasts forever so I try to stay flexible and open to change. That doesn't mean I don't empathise with your frustration :)

Soldato
Pretty much.

I've finished cyberpunk now so the need/want for a more powerful gpu has dwindled as my OC vega 56 still handles the majority of gaming perfectly ok with high/mostly maxed settings (1440 locked at 60 fps when on my oled tv and between 48-144 fps on my freesync monitor) so I am somewhat back to the wait this whole **** show out and see what happens come the time.

That's good news. I'm surprised hardware manufacturers don't make more of games as pushing demanding titles sells a lot of hardware. They'd only need to throw some cash into a pot together and push one AAA very demanding title every year or so and they'd shift so much more stuff. Spread the cost and all reap the benefits.

Soldato
I am torn on interpretation for this reply.

The Geek in me is saying this is coded management consulting speak for the beer factory theory aka Bullwhip effect.

Non-Geek: Two finger salute.

Joe Bloggs: he got his finger stuck on his phone whilst ordering a chinese.

All of them:p
Plus I agree with what the geezer above said;)

Associate
£280 is not market value for a 1070.

Ive just gone and looked at [redacted] completed listings.... and holy ****.

I sold my 1070 in September for £185 the day after I picked my new card up. Thinking that prices would crash come December and the 3060 came out. How wrong we all were this year. No easy shuffles!

To answer the overall topic question; I've picked cards up in the past when the mining booms ended and used cards flooded. Eg. I picked up 2 second hand AMD 3970s after the first bitcoin boom ended for 1/3 of their retail cost 18 months prior.
So perhaps in 3-6 ish months after this current Etherium craze dies down?

Caporegime
Ive just gone and looked at [redacted] completed listings.... and holy ****.

I sold my 1070 in September for £185 the day after I picked my new card up. Thinking that prices would crash come December and the 3060 came out. How wrong we all were this year. No easy shuffles!

To answer the overall topic question; I've picked cards up in the past when the mining booms ended and used cards flooded. Eg. I picked up 2 second hand AMD 3970s after the first bitcoin boom ended for 1/3 of their retail cost 18 months prior.
So perhaps in 3-6 ish months after this current Etherium craze dies down?
As did I, but it developed memory artefacting only a couple months after I bought it.

Ex-mining cards don't have an easy life. I'll be avoiding them completely from now on.

Associate
I've said this before and I'll say it again, its gonna get even worse. If you have a look at all the major retailers, theres absolutely nowt in stock, and that includes as has been stated earlier, even stocks of 1050ti cards! a few months ago you go on the bay and there'd be 15-20 pages of rx570, rx580 cards both 4gb and 8gb versions, now theres about 15-20 cards in total, the cheapest is about £150. they used be about £80-£100 a while back. To me, thats an indication that something is seriously wrong here with the supply chain. Now theres that pic of the mining rig being put together using 78 Palit 3080 cards, where did they get that many palit 3080s from? not his local bestbuy, thats for sure, probably straight from the distributor, which means cards are now not even getting into the retail chain in sufficient numbers I reckon, which to me says that the mining boom is starting again in earnest, so couple that up with the general state of the gpu market as it stands is gonna make it even worse.

Yep, and of course there was the news that Nvidia sold $175M of cards directly to miners. With bitcoin well over $30K and showing no sign of stopping things aren't going to get better anytime soon, even scalper prices aren't an issue for them as they'll make the money back in a couple of months. If these crypto prices become the norm we may aswell stop calling them graphic cards as gaming will no longer be their primary purpose as I suspect both amd and nvidia will start focusing on the mining sector as they'll be willing to pay a lot more for the same cards.

Permabanned
Yep, and of course there was the news that Nvidia sold $175M of cards directly to miners. With bitcoin well over $30K and showing no sign of stopping things aren't going to get better anytime soon, even scalper prices aren't an issue for them as they'll make the money back in a couple of months. If these crypto prices become the norm we may aswell stop calling them graphic cards as gaming will no longer be their primary purpose as I suspect both amd and nvidia will start focusing on the mining sector as they'll be willing to pay a lot more for the same cards.

There are cards specifically designed and targeted for that specific use case. There are special machines for this purpose, too.
Also, the Radeons have lower performance for that, so at least these should be more regularly available in stock.

Back
Top Bottom