**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Ordered 4x PS4 to replace the Cup 2's on my Megane Trophy, got delivered today and I completely missed that I've ordered the Extra Load tyres... Is there much reason to not fit these that I'd notice in the real world? The car doesn't need XL rated tyres but not sure I can be bothered with exchanging if I can avoid it.

Soldato
Ordered 4x PS4 to replace the Cup 2's on my Megane Trophy, got delivered today and I completely missed that I've ordered the Extra Load tyres... Is there much reason to not fit these that I'd notice in the real world? The car doesn't need XL rated tyres but not sure I can be bothered with exchanging if I can avoid it.

Nope, none whatsoever. In fact people say that XL tyres have stronger sidewalls to give it the ability to take slightly higher loads, which can give better steering feedback on the road.

How true that is though, I don't know.

Soldato

different car,
Was specifically telling my father not to buy the XL's this time to hopefully have a more compliant/less-bouncy ride, which I think the XL's are giving him, although the standard load are more expensive £4-5 a corner, maybe they will transmit less road noise too.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I'm not too fussy about the ride being harsh or road noise as I hardly drive it and it's harsh enough anyway, I just don't want a compromise in grip but if the XL has a stiffer sidewall then maybe they'll actually be better?

Soldato
The only downside with having winter tyres or all seasons (of which I have at the moment) should you get stuck due to the conditions it'll be because of the other drivers and their cars, stuck with summer tyres. So if the traffic snarls up, you're still held up regardless if you could technically get past and be on your way. :(

I actually find the more common scenario in that sort of situation is that when traffic is that bad there are usually alternative routes available, but they tend less well gritted, or cleared. All weather tyres make taking such a detour a feasible option.

That said, it's rare that the weather is that bad even up here.

Man of Honour
That said, it's rare that the weather is that bad even up here.

We have just moved to the top of a hill which got quite icy last week for the first time, so perhaps this winter we might finally be glad to have winter tyres for the first time in however many years of using them :D Running WinterContact TS860 at the moment.

Man of Honour
My mrs runs Crossclimates on her 118d. I'd say they're essential for her, she's cabin crew and can sometimes find herself driving to Heathrow at 3 in the morning and when it's icy or it's been snowing. Good for me as I'll keep summer tyres on my M140i and use her car if I ever need to (work from home so not likely!).

Soldato
I thought I'd just post up about my experiences with PS4S on the M3.

I've done about 30,000 miles on the rears and they are down to 3mm so nearing needing replacement however the performance and grip they offer, even in these cold/wet conditions we have is still incredible. Even with such low tread you really have to provoke the car for it to get out of shape, and honestly that was the case when the tyres were brand new anyway. This was very much NOT the case with the Continental Sport Contact 5P that came with the car when I bought it (the combination of M3 power/torque + lower tread was borderline lethal with them!), and also the OEM fitment PSS definitely had a notable performance drop-off at lower tread depths in these conditions.

With lockdowns and everything causing my annual mileage to tumble from ~25,000 / year to ~5,000 year I've still got a good few months of life in them, especially as we'll tend to use my wife's Evoque more this time of year anyway.

I know there are comparably good offerings now especially from the likes of Bridgestone but with the great experience I've had with the PS4S, coupled with the fact that I know they last REALLY well, means that when I replace them it will be with another set of PS4S.

Front tyres faired less well needing replacement at ~25,000 milee (still good mind you) because the very inner shoulder had worn through owing to the tracking being slightly out, plus the M3 runs from fairly aggressive negative camber for a road car. Middle and outer were still at 4mm :(

All in all I'd give PS4S 10/10.

(Front tyres are 255/35/19, rear are 275/35/19).

Soldato
Been well over 10 years since it last happened, but had a flat last night, big ol' screw right in there.

Not much fun changing it in the dark while it was showing -3C outside but glad it was the back tyre which was due to get changed next month anyway.

Man of Honour
Ooof yeah that is one I'm hoping I don't have to deal with - on anything I drive at the moment getting to the spare is a pain especially my pickup where you have to mess about with a long pole hoping to get the release through a small hole to let it down underneath the vehicle.

I did actually chuck one of those vulcanising repair kits in as they were cheap but no idea if they'd actually work in a situation like that but might save some messing about. My family's experience with the foam stuff hasn't been great.

Caporegime
I thought I'd just post up about my experiences with PS4S on the M3.

I've done about 30,000 miles on the rears and they are down to 3mm so nearing needing replacement however the performance and grip they offer, even in these cold/wet conditions we have is still incredible. Even with such low tread you really have to provoke the car for it to get out of shape, and honestly that was the case when the tyres were brand new anyway. This was very much NOT the case with the Continental Sport Contact 5P that came with the car when I bought it (the combination of M3 power/torque + lower tread was borderline lethal with them!), and also the OEM fitment PSS definitely had a notable performance drop-off at lower tread depths in these conditions.

With lockdowns and everything causing my annual mileage to tumble from ~25,000 / year to ~5,000 year I've still got a good few months of life in them, especially as we'll tend to use my wife's Evoque more this time of year anyway.

I know there are comparably good offerings now especially from the likes of Bridgestone but with the great experience I've had with the PS4S, coupled with the fact that I know they last REALLY well, means that when I replace them it will be with another set of PS4S.

Front tyres faired less well needing replacement at ~25,000 milee (still good mind you) because the very inner shoulder had worn through owing to the tracking being slightly out, plus the M3 runs from fairly aggressive negative camber for a road car. Middle and outer were still at 4mm :(

All in all I'd give PS4S 10/10.

(Front tyres are 255/35/19, rear are 275/35/19).

Same, getting two new rears tomorrow.

Soldato
Same, getting two new rears tomorrow.

Exactly the same on my old E92 M3 too. They lasted phenomenally well, considering they also saw a small amount of track action too.

I'm going to get some PS4S tyres fitted to the C63 soon so I'll see how they do. Something tells me they won't do as well...

Soldato
The +, or the 2 as it seems to called in usa ?
having caught up on some of his videos .. they're pretty compelling

Has Michelin Created The Best All Season Tire? Rain, Sun, or Snow!

I was under the impression, I might be wrong that the Crossclimate 2 is a new design, and again I might be mistaken but I think it has been weighted a little more towards snow/ice performance for climates that see those conditions, i.e. North America/Canada? Whereas the Crosscliamte + was just the iteration of the original Crossclimate which focussed more on dry/wet over snow/ice? i.e. European market

Soldato
30K on the rear of an M3... :eek:

Compound must be infused with fairy dust, thats mental.
Let's be clear...that's not 30k miles of drifting around the local Maccy D's car parks, nor is it 30k miles of track driving, nor even 30k miles of back roads. It's mainly racked up trawling up and down the UK's motorway network, but I have also done three proper thrashes across Germany AND several laps of the Nurburgring on this set of tyres, so it's not all been an easy life. They've also done a few smallish burnouts and a bit of silly drfiting around (because we're all children at heart), but it's no less impressive for it!

The really incredible thing about them is how much sheer grip and traction they give, EVEN when worn to low tread and in the current very cold/wet weather.

I was considering the new UHP Goodyear Eagle F1s to replace them when they are worn, but honestly the PS4S is just SO good that I will stick with them.

Back
Top Bottom