Is Skyrim worth playing or is there better now?

Associate
Quite a lot of the game was dumbed down from the Morrowind and Oblivion games, but Skyrim is still definitely worth a play - as there are still some improvements over the morrow/obliv (graphics, for example).

Associate
Came in here to mention Wabbajack but see it has already been mentioned:
Modding was a complete rabbit hole until I got introduced to wabbajack. Modding is now incredibly easy and my latest playthrough has close to 900 mods.

My mod folder? Over 200gbs....
Getting a few mods dozen mods stable used the my limit, but with Wabbajack hundreds of mods installed by mod conflict resolution experts are only a few clicks away.

As for comparisons with TW3.
Well, Skyrim and all the TES games are quite different.
TW3 is very much story driven and you have to play Geralt whether you like his character or not (I don't really). The last RPG I actually liked where you were forced play with one preset character as Gothic / Gothic II (which incidentally probably had the best open world town before Novigrad).
TES games on the other hand? You can play as whatever you want and ignore the main quest totally if you wish.
Guess the biggest difference is the mod development kit: the TES one is well known and can do just about anything while for TW3 there really isn't any proper dev kit.
Over on https://www.nexusmods.com/ that translates into Skyrim having 65,400+ mods and TW3 having around 4,000.
Of course the great dev kit and the community are a two-edge sword: Bethesda are well used to the mod community now and almost use it as an excuse to release games half-finished expect the community to fix most problems for them. So I wouldn't rush out to by the next Elder Scroll game on release but thankfully Skyrim is not no longer new!

Caporegime
Fancy a change in pace and mood...Played Oblivion years ago but never played Skyrim...Is it worth it or is there a better RPG like this around now?
It's a hugely atmospheric game with a beautiful soundtrack. It's very nice to explore. Very nice. Exploration is rewarding and, frankly, just moving around in Skyrim is an absolute delight.

BUT... without any modding, the game mechanics are pretty crap. A complete dumbing down of the previous games in the series. I *especially* hate the fact that using any menu, including the quick-select menus, pauses the game. It completely destroys my immersion when during combat it's pause, pause, pause, pause, every time I want to select something.

Caporegime
Of course the great dev kit and the community are a two-edge sword: Bethesda are well used to the mod community now and almost use it as an excuse to release games half-finished expect the community to fix most problems for them. So I wouldn't rush out to by the next Elder Scroll game on release but thankfully Skyrim is not no longer new!
Absolutely.

I generally do not like modding games, preferring to play them vanilla. I even played Skyrim vanilla (stubbornness, you see :p) but I hated the combat. The combat was dull, the constant unavoidable pausing broke my immersion, and both of these can be fixed with mods.

Like you said, I'm sure Bethesda now just release a skeleton of a game (mechanics wise) and are happy to let the modders fix the game's systems.

I can't fault their art direction or world building tho.

Caporegime
OP
Absolutely.

I generally do not like modding games, preferring to play them vanilla. I even played Skyrim vanilla (stubbornness, you see :p) but I hated the combat. The combat was dull, the constant unavoidable pausing broke my immersion, and both of these can be fixed with mods.

Like you said, I'm sure Bethesda now just release a skeleton of a game (mechanics wise) and are happy to let the modders fix the game's systems.

I can't fault their art direction or world building tho.

In skyrim special addition there seems to be mods built in you can just download....Have no idea what to though.... :p

Associate
If I was to give my opinion to someone who was about to play skyrim for the 1st time, I would say play the VR version, its not a great VR game in terms of what traditionally makes a VR game so good, theres no physical interactig with the world around you, physics etc, but being inside the game world is amazing, its the best way to play it, hands down.

Soldato
In skyrim special addition there seems to be mods built in you can just download....Have no idea what to though.... :p

best off sticking vanilla for the first play through. a lot of the really good mods either make the game harder (eg climates of tamriel makes nights pitch black or frostfall makes swimming super deadly) or they can make the game a lot easier (imbalanced weapons etc)

the legendary edition fixes a good chunk of the bugs the original had, and there are a lot of the little graphical improvements which used to take a stupid long unstable modlist to get working right.

funny i've been playing through the legendary edition recently and sticking to a small (by the standards of skyrim modding) list of bits and bobs and only had a couple of ctd's (from known conflicts and a modlist i can't be arsed organising)

Man of Honour
best off sticking vanilla for the first play through.

I dunno what the special edition is like UI/controls wise but I'd 200% recommend using SkyUI for any play through first or otherwise it just makes the game so much less clunky and more immersive to play.

Soldato
I dunno what the special edition is like UI/controls wise but I'd 200% recommend using SkyUI for any play through first or otherwise it just makes the game so much less clunky and more immersive to play.

Its the same ui in the special edition. I agree skyui is better although i dont hate the standard ui that much

Associate
If I was to give my opinion to someone who was about to play skyrim for the 1st time, I would say play the VR version, its not a great VR game in terms of what traditionally makes a VR game so good, theres no physical interactig with the world around you, physics etc, but being inside the game world is amazing, its the best way to play it, hands down.

I’d completely agree with that. It’s amazing seeing those fire flies buzzing around in a forest at night time

ne0

ne0

Associate
Its an awesome game.

Fallout 4 is better :)

As someone who loves Skyrim and modded it to death, I really really want to play Fallout 4...problem is I will want to mod it to death also and I know I'll get properly sucked in! Too many other games to play :D

Soldato
As someone who loves Skyrim and modded it to death, I really really want to play Fallout 4...problem is I will want to mod it to death also and I know I'll get properly sucked in! Too many other games to play :D

Yea it's as moddable as Skyrim, I prefer the post apocalyptic theme, and guns, to swords and magic, not saying Skyrim isn't great.

I think I've clocked up like 800 hours on Fallout 4 which is insane really for a single player game.

Soldato
Skyrim is amazing if you install one of the giant modpacks via Wabbajack.

I'm playing Skyrim VR with the ultimate VR essentials mod and it's got some incredible additions. The main issue is it's a bit crashy so saving often is essential.

During lockdown Skyrim VR has lifted my mood, as I can just take in the sights and it's often beautiful and uplifting.

Soldato
For some reason people like to bash Skyrim but honestly imo it is one of the best games ever made.

I play so many open world games nowadays and end up thinking about a particular mechanic 'nah, skyrim did that better'... Just as an example - every npc has their own inventory with items you can steal or buy. Each vendor has a completely different inventory so often if you want a specific item you have to go to a specific shop or person, and they will give you different prices for your item too. Too many games don't bother with that any more. I'm playing AC Valhalla atm. A good game but there is only one type of store and they all sell exactly the same items.

Soldato
I can see some of the hate for skyrim, what it has in terms of visuals and scope it lacks in some fundamental game mechanics like the commonly cited repetitive combat.

The broken nature of the game is basically just a running joke now such as the stealth mechanics.

I do think there's something in the karma systems that other bethesda games have, seems kind of ridiculous that the glorious and famed dragonborn, hero of the land, legate of the imperial legion, harbinger of the famed companions and slayer of the world eater also just happens to be the sneaky and secretive listener of the dark brotherhood, head of the theives guild and oh yeah also the cannibalistic champion of namira.

Ie it does kinda feel like they went out of their way to make the player character special no matter what you do when in oblivion you feel much more like some dude who earns their way to fame and glory throughout their various quests.

Still a good game worth a play-through though.

Back
Top Bottom