Power system service urgent - Volvo V70 D5.

Caporegime
Had the message “Power System Service Urgent” along with a battery warning light pop up on my dashboard recently, as nothing seemed amiss, I duly ignored it and carried on, restarted the car, no light or message, lights bright and everything electrical working fine.

A week and 350 miles later the light comes back on after 15 or so seconds of starting and after a few minutes it goes out and stays out despite stopping and re-starting a few times,although it seems to be doing it a bit more regularly now although having said that it's been fine today despite using the car for 6 different trips....

I'm suspecting my alternator although it's showing a consistent 13,8 - 14V output under load (heated seats, rear window, blowers etc all on) and I am seeing nothing to make me suspect I've got low power, the car starts fine, probably driven ballpark 600 miles now since this has started up so I'd have suspected if something serious was amiss it would have manifested itself by now, equally wondering if it is just some gremlin as I can't find anything apparently wrong...

Googling points to the alternator or its voltage regulator - I've ordered another regulator - although other than the light and message popping up randomly, I'd suspect nothing was wrong, especially having checked my alternator via a multimeter and everything seeming to be fine.

Any pointers appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Buy a new battery?

Don’t think it’s the battery tbh, it’s less than 3 years old (06/2017 on its case) and is putting out 12.8v with the engine off, adding to that it’s starting the car just fine despite being stood outside during this cold snap, and repeated starts don’t seem to be pulling its output down which I’d expect if the battery was failing.

Caporegime
OP
Update: - A few months after having my V70 serviced by Volvo and having the cam and aux belt's changed the problem hasn't returned.
It looks like the aux belt being stretched/worn was the the likely culprit.

So glad I didn't drop the £360 I'd been quoted for a new alternator after a "diagnosis", posting this to hopefully help anybody else Googling this particular issue. :)

Back
Top Bottom