• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help 3800x hard to trace instability

Associate
Built a new system recently spec below, was running fine with the original cpu a 3100 but since swapping to a 3800x, apex legends will crash/close randomly sometimes it happens seconds after launching, most of the time it crashes while playing the game longest its went before crash is 20 minutes usualy crashes in first 5 minutes

corsair tx750m
3800x previously 3100
artic freezer 34 esports duo
Msi b550 gaming carbon
Ballistix 2x8gb cl16 basic ones
wd blue nvme ssd sn550 1tb
Sapphire rx480 8gb
cooler master mb520 argb

The system has never froze bsod or restarted just apex freezes the sound stutters of a sec then plays for 10 second then i am back on desktop, can still play battlefield 1/5 fine.

apex doesnt create a crash file and there is nothing in event viewer to give me any clues.

so far ran prime95 for 30mins no errors, occt 30mins no errors, removed cpu inspected reinserted. All the temps are fine nothing is overheating all the psu voltages look fine in hwinfo. tried running with memory at default speeds and core boost turned off, formated drive and reinstalled win 10.

Fairly stumped as to the source of the problem.

Thanks

lewis

Associate
Intriguing and not an easy one but have heart man; there's always a reason.

First idea I've got is to try running Prime 95 and Furmark at the same time to more accurately represent a gaming load.

Associate
OP
already updated the bios from 1.0.8.1 to 1.1.0.0 i am starting to think its just apex being a arse cant find anything wrong with the cpu

Associate
Could be the IMC on the 3800x is slightly weaker. And now the Memory is unstable at the frequency it’s running at. Makes sense if it’s just crashes to desktop. I’d personally up the DRAM voltage ever so slightly or VSOC voltage to 1.2.

Associate
Again, I'd try with both GPU and CPU t4esting. Had a similar issue once which was down to the PSU but didn't show up with just a CPU or GPU burn test.

Another thing I'd try would be resetting BIOS back to safe defaults, you never know what incompatible options may be lurking in there.

Could be the IMC on the 3800x is slightly weaker. And now the Memory is unstable at the frequency it’s running at. Makes sense if it’s just crashes to desktop. I’d personally up the DRAM voltage ever so slightly or VSOC voltage to 1.2.

Good point, +1 this idea.

Associate
OP
tried the soc at 1.2 still crashes think the controller is strong soc at 1.05 vddp 900 vddg 950 iod 1000 still prime stable literally only apex crashing but internet is littered with posts about the same problem with apex.

Associate
OP
Used the ebay guarantee and sent the 3800x back and bought a 3800xt reduced to £270 and the problem disappeared, think it must have had a instability at higher clocks with light load could never replicate the issue outside of apex

Back
Top Bottom