What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That is very cool, I imagine they didn't come with display backs back then to show that off!

Funny you mention the similarity with the CWC, both Hamilton and CWC as well as a few others were enrolled to create "W10" spec watches of this type for the British Military so they all had similar design specs to meet that requirement. CWC keep the origins on the dial true to the era with the broad arrow markings etc but I fancied the higher fit and finish and specs by Hamilton in the Khaki Pilot instead hence this purchase :cool:

There's a great write-up by Hodinkee on these watches: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cwc-mellor-72-hands-on

One thing Hodinkee and others got wrong about the Hamilton is the dimensions, it is 36mm (39mm inc crown) wide which is 1mm more than the CWC but 33mm high from case wall to case wall. Lug to lug length is a more wrist friendly 42mm. It is wider than it is taller if we ignore the lugs for a moment and it seems many reviewers focused on that 33mm case vertical length and not the horizontal dimension which is 36 (or 39 inc crown).

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm looking for an everyday watch. I'm considering either the Casio 650TD Wave Ceptor or the LCWM100DCE.

Longevity on the M100 could be better as it's sapphire crystal.

I appreciate they are both quite different styles but as it's an everyday watch I just want something non offensive and reasonably small.

Other watches for context on my collection include a Seamaster Cosmic 2000, Seamaster 300, a couple of Alpinists and a G Shock Compass. Beyond the Alpinists my only everyday watch left could be a Fitbit...which just gives me anxiety inducing data :)

Thanks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Surely a G-Shock is an everyday beater watch? A GW-M5610 model is also small but feature packed with the atomic control the wave ceptors you linked have too and solar powered. Unless it's specifically the metal case and band you are after?

But out of the two above the M100DSE to me looks the most aesthetically pleasing.

Soldato
Last edited:

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Quite fascinated people wear watches but also I have always been perplexed at people wearing jewellery.
Just not for me.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Watches are jewellery in the literal sense but two things stand:

1: Many people keep their watches under cuff or sleeve, it's for their personal viewing/enjoyment instead of showing to others.
2: Watches have moving parts or functioning features, normal jewellery is just a piece of shaped metal.

Regardless, this topic has been discussed many times in this thread!

Wore the khaki field on yesterday's 23 mile bike ride :cool:

h1nGxwxl.jpg

Soldato
Surely a G-Shock is an everyday beater watch? A GW-M5610 model is also small but feature packed with the atomic control the wave ceptors you linked have too and solar powered. Unless it's specifically the metal case and band you are after?

But out of the two above the M100DSE to me looks the most aesthetically pleasing.
This was also on the shortlist. The preference was metal and of course the existing double-battery G Shock is too big and bulky for everyday use. Is the 5610 slim enough to be a daily driver?

M100 DSE is more appealing to me too out of those two but if I'm being honest if I was looking at a solar powered watch I'd be going citizen eco-drive (Can't fault either of mine. One is 15 years old and still ticking along nicely, touch wood etc lol).

Based on the ones you mentioned maybe something like a aw0050-82e
https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/mens-eco-drive-stainless-steel-mens-bracelet-aw0050-82e.html
Good recommendation. Will consider, thanks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I guess that all depends on the type of shirt/tops you wear daily really. I don't find it a problem though and the 5610 is give or take on par with a 39mm flieger.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking for an everyday watch. I'm considering either the Casio 650TD Wave Ceptor or the LCWM100DCE.

Longevity on the M100 could be better as it's sapphire crystal.

I appreciate they are both quite different styles but as it's an everyday watch I just want something non offensive and reasonably small.

Other watches for context on my collection include a Seamaster Cosmic 2000, Seamaster 300, a couple of Alpinists and a G Shock Compass. Beyond the Alpinists my only everyday watch left could be a Fitbit...which just gives me anxiety inducing data :)

Thanks.

Another watch you may want to consider is the Casio EQB-1000D-1AER.

JWeXT1c.png

It can be had for just over £150.

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webst...000+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/?cmCat=OVM

It features an all metal constructions, sapphire crystal, 100m water resistance, solar power, chronograph, dual time display, a bluetooth connection (it links to an app and sets the time via the internet and also features a phone finder function from the watch) and also a chronograph. All of this is done and its only 8.9mm thick. I've never handled one in person but I've always considered it a bit of a sleeper from Casio.

Associate
That is very cool, I imagine they didn't come with display backs back then to show that off!

Funny you mention the similarity with the CWC, both Hamilton and CWC as well as a few others were enrolled to create "W10" spec watches of this type for the British Military so they all had similar design specs to meet that requirement. CWC keep the origins on the dial true to the era with the broad arrow markings etc but I fancied the higher fit and finish and specs by Hamilton in the Khaki Pilot instead hence this purchase :cool:

There's a great write-up by Hodinkee on these watches: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cwc-mellor-72-hands-on

One thing Hodinkee and others got wrong about the Hamilton is the dimensions, it is 36mm (39mm inc crown) wide which is 1mm more than the CWC but 33mm high from case wall to case wall. Lug to lug length is a more wrist friendly 42mm. It is wider than it is taller if we ignore the lugs for a moment and it seems many reviewers focused on that 33mm case vertical length and not the horizontal dimension which is 36 (or 39 inc crown).

No, they didn't really do display case backs then haha.

CWC and Hamilton have a interesting interconnected history. A collector that I know has set up a website with lots of information on them if you fancy some evening reading

https://cwcaddict.com/

Soldato
Thanks all. I've plunged for the G Shock 5610 as I had a voucher for one of the retailers local to me.

I've just put on my SARB017 for the first day back at work, and the strap it comes with is so uncomfortable. Is there a "go-to" retailer for NATO straps? I could also do with the tool to replace them more easily.

Thanks all.

Soldato
All of this is done and its only 8.9mm thick. I've never handled one in person but I've always considered it a bit of a sleeper from Casio.

Can confirm it's a good watch, bought one last year, the bluetooth function is gimmicky but it's a novelty to watch in action

https://lum-tec.com/collections/upcoming-models

Just seen lum-tec announced some new models that look nice

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Those Lum-Tec watches are massive! 51.5 lug to lug on a 42mm case!

Thanks all. I've plunged for the G Shock 5610 as I had a voucher for one of the retailers local to me.

I've just put on my SARB017 for the first day back at work, and the strap it comes with is so uncomfortable. Is there a "go-to" retailer for NATO straps? I could also do with the tool to replace them more easily.

Thanks all.

Worth noting that if you did want you can always get an all metal kit to replace the resin case on the 5610, there are a bunch available, of course additional cost, but if the 5610 ends up being a great watch for you then it's simple enough to uprate it too.

As for NATO straps, WatchGecko for UK orders seems to be the more popular one among peeps. Certainly the shop I use the most. My nod goes to the Italian rubber NATO straps all round, and the vanilla smell :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah anything from Tudor, Rolex, omega etc from that sort of era has a rather eye watering price to go with.

Not for me, vintage watch movements are a menace to upkeep and I like to wear all watches in the box instead of leave them... boxed :p

Like buying a desirable car only to garage queen it. Just wrong.

Just ordered myself a book on vintage watches which should arrive in a couple of weeks. In the book preview there was a page on the Hamilton 0552 Pilot from 1975 which you might be interested in as well :p Seen a couple on ebay around the £1200 - 1350 mark.

Out of the watches i have, I think i only really wear the two Longines ones. I keep forgetting to get replacement batteries for the Christopher Ward watches that i have and the old Seiko. I think i've worn one of the jump
hours once cos I need to look at the bracelet but the Diego and other jump hour hasn't been worn yet.

As with your car comparison, its nice to take them out for a spin once in a while!

Soldato
Those Lum-Tec watches are massive! 51.5 lug to lug on a 42mm case!

Worth noting that if you did want you can always get an all metal kit to replace the resin case on the 5610, there are a bunch available, of course additional cost, but if the 5610 ends up being a great watch for you then it's simple enough to uprate it too.

As for NATO straps, WatchGecko for UK orders seems to be the more popular one among peeps. Certainly the shop I use the most. My nod goes to the Italian rubber NATO straps all round, and the vanilla smell :cool:
Crikey, it has been an expensive decision to post on here.

Picked up my 5610 earlier. Amazing how quick supply chains can kick into gear for these things, nowadays. Also ordered a strap and tool from WatchGecko - 68 quid lighter. Hopefully my SARB017 appreciates it!

If only I could get an AirKing!

Edit; thanks for the help, all.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just ordered myself a book on vintage watches which should arrive in a couple of weeks. In the book preview there was a page on the Hamilton 0552 Pilot from 1975 which you might be interested in as well :p Seen a couple on ebay around the £1200 - 1350 mark.

Out of the watches i have, I think i only really wear the two Longines ones. I keep forgetting to get replacement batteries for the Christopher Ward watches that i have and the old Seiko. I think i've worn one of the jump
hours once cos I need to look at the bracelet but the Diego and other jump hour hasn't been worn yet.

As with your car comparison, its nice to take them out for a spin once in a while!

What's the book called? Sounds intriguing!

I have been wearing the Hamilton the most lately, it's so comfortable with the Zulu rubber one piece that often forget am wearing it but then either catch a whiff of the vanilla fragrance which never goes away with time or hear the ticking of the movement :D

This is fats becoming my go-to watch even though I thought that would be the G-Shock lol.

Crikey, it has been an expensive decision to post on here.

Picked up my 5610 earlier. Amazing how quick supply chains can kick into gear for these things, nowadays. Also ordered a strap and tool from WatchGecko - 68 quid lighter. Hopefully my SARB017 appreciates it!

If only I could get an AirKing!

Edit; thanks for the help, all.

Great to hear, and yeah it is a slippery slope. Straps especially. At one point I had a box just full of straps, NATOs mostly but some 2 pieces thrown in there too. Thankfully these days I have found the strap type I really like for any given watch so will forever be sticking to those brands and models now.

Soldato

I have been wearing the Hamilton the most lately, it's so comfortable with the Zulu rubber one piece that often forget am wearing it but then either catch a whiff of the vanilla fragrance which never goes away with time or hear the ticking of the movement :D

This is fats becoming my go-to watch even though I thought that would be the G-Shock lol.

Great to hear, and yeah it is a slippery slope. Straps especially. At one point I had a box just full of straps, NATOs mostly but some 2 pieces thrown in there too. Thankfully these days I have found the strap type I really like for any given watch so will forever be sticking to those brands and models now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0764354957?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

This is the one. Got the usual big hitters like Rolex and omega as well as the lesser known / lower key brands. Don't worry I'll post a pic or two of a few pages when it arrives :p

Soldato

Out of interest, what straps are they? I ordered a Geckota 20mm green seaford sailcloth.

Back
Top Bottom