LOTR & Hobbit UHD versions coming soon.

Soldato
Purchased the trilogy (non extended) on my AppleTV 4k over the weekend at £8.99 each for Fellowship, Two Towers, and RoTK. Was so excited about the purchase I ididn't realise that only the extended version has iTunes Extras. Not a big loss but I'd have liked it.

I am an hour or so into Fellowship and really forgot how long the film was. There were quite a few bits I don't remember so I'm curious about that - need to grab the BR copies from my parents home at some point to compare. The Atmos implementation is quite amazing in places - I have never heard my soundbar's HW-Q90R sub kick into full gear until Sauron gets his finger chopped off at the start of Fellowship and the explosion+shockwave wipes out his army.

Soldato
OP
I ended up ripping the disks into MKV's and playing through my Nvidia shield. I've watched all the hobbits now and starting LOTR tomorrow. But means I won't have to swap the disks over on extended versions.

I tried one through the PS5 but wasn't getting Dolby Atmos either, so just sacked it off and went with the above option.

Soldato
I ended up ripping the disks into MKV's and playing through my Nvidia shield. I've watched all the hobbits now and starting LOTR tomorrow. But means I won't have to swap the disks over on extended versions.

I tried one through the PS5 but wasn't getting Dolby Atmos either, so just sacked it off and went with the above option.
did the same, but didn't realise that on the fellowship there were about 28 mins of credits going up :( .not making that mistake again.

Soldato
OP
That's all 6 finished. Enjoyed every moment once again. Really felt like I was watching them again at the cinema for the first time. If you have a decent uhd TV and sound system and you're on the fence about getting these, trust me don't hesitate, they look and sound absolutely incredible.

While I don't hate Hobbit films like some people, I just find those a fun enjoyable watch. However LOTR extended versions really does feel like you are on a journey when you watch them. The wife had not see any of them and she actually got stuck in and enjoyed them as well. She wasn't too happy however how Sam isn't given more gratitude hahaha, but was a nice experience to actually see her enjoy them when I thought it could have gone the other way.

10/10 for me on all of them.

Soldato
Watched the first two extended versions for the first time over the last couple of nights. The extended Fellowship cut is excellent but less sure about The Two Towers. Some of the extra scenes don’t add much to the story and it definitely interferes with the pacing. Enjoying them a lot though.

Soldato
Skipped Fellowship (I've seen it so many times and is undoubtedly the best of the lot) and rewatched the extended TT and RotK over the passed two days. It's so nice to go back and watch them again, but some of the CGI really hasn't aged well and some of the costume continuity at the end is jarring, surely that could have been fixed?!

Soldato
I bought the blu-ray verisons of LoTD after owning the DVD's and wasn't impressed honestly so I'll probably skip this one, maybe you need a UHD TV to see the difference and not my humble 1080p

Watched the first two extended versions for the first time over the last couple of nights. The extended Fellowship cut is excellent but less sure about The Two Towers. Some of the extra scenes don’t add much to the story and it definitely interferes with the pacing. Enjoying them a lot though.

True, I can't argue with that

Sam's waistcoat disappears at one point when the gang are saying goodbye to Frodo.

Thats... something that only someone who's watched it too once too often would notice

Soldato
Skipped Fellowship (I've seen it so many times and is undoubtedly the best of the lot) and rewatched the extended TT and RotK over the passed two days. It's so nice to go back and watch them again, but some of the CGI really hasn't aged well and some of the costume continuity at the end is jarring, surely that could have been fixed?!

Agreed on the CGI.

I can’t believe Saruman’s final scene didn’t make the theatrical cut of RotK!

Soldato
Thats... something that only someone who's watched it too once too often would notice

Pfft, I've found it here so you can all enjoy it :( from 4:10 Sam is not wearing his waistcoat, it really annoys me as it's a slow moving and emotional scene and stuck out like a sore thumb. I was a world champion at spot the difference in my younger days I'll have you know! :p

Soldato
After watching all of the LotR extended’s I thought I’d go all in and get The Hobbit trilogy too. I was of the mindset that I’d been too harsh on them when watching them originally and it would be better second time round and marginally extended... boy was I wrong. They’re so, sooooo bad. Visually from a technical 4K/DV stand point they look great, but that’s all I can really say in their favour. Awful films. Just awful.

Caporegime
The biggest issue with the Hobbit, and it works fine in the book is that there are 13 dwarves and they aren't particularly distinct so it's not really easy for a viewer to get on board with having that many characters in the main company. Then you've got Bilbo making 14 people.

The Fellowship was only 9, including the hobbits who we get to know in the first hour of that movie.

Soldato
Yea, I have no intention of ever watching them again - they just don't have the soul of the LotR movies. LotR is more tonally stable, it's consistent. The Hobbit 'trilogy' also suffered by being stretched out over more films that it should have been with filler all over the place, it really isn't memorable bar Smaug, Gollum and a song.

Pfft, I've found it here so you can all enjoy it :( from 4:10 Sam is not wearing his waistcoat, it really annoys me as it's a slow moving and emotional scene and stuck out like a sore thumb. I was a world champion at spot the difference in my younger days I'll have you know! :p

What's odd is I had the directors special edition back in original dvd days and it came with the like 100 million hours of extra behind the scenes stuff, commentary over each of the films etc, and one of the things I remember them saying is about how one of the hobbit in that scene took of his waistcoat between takes and forgot to put it back on and it was the perfect scene, dom struggled to cry and he did it perfectly, and then after the scene was done they realised, I guess it was Sam was missing his waistcoat so had to do another take.

So I find it odd that in another another take they made the same mistake again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom