Quest 2 - Blurring Text / Ghosting

Associate
Finally got round to playing a bit after Christmas.

(Have link cable as well and have used Virtual Desktop)

I sold my Rift S and got the Quest 2 thinking it would be pretty equal to image quality wise and wireless!

But....

When looking at any text - and a slight movement I just see this constant ghosting.

I cannot see any damage to the lens - they are clean and have tried different IPD settings and the ones in between.

Defective lens ?
Am I missing a setting somewhere ?
Anybody else have this weird text blurring/ghosting ?

Soldato
Does this ghosting happen when you are using it standalone?

The Quest 2 has slightly more godrays than the Rift S but should have better image quality overall.

Associate
OP
Am gonna do some more testing later with virtual desktop and the cable and change some settings. I'm now not sure what should be acceptable or whether it's defective lens!

Soldato
Am gonna do some more testing later with virtual desktop and the cable and change some settings. I'm now not sure what should be acceptable or whether it's defective lens!

What GPU do you have?

The best way to test if it's a problem with the Quest 2 is to play some native games.

Soldato
Is the image/text pretty much perfect right at the centre though? Mine is quite blurred with god rays if I look outside of the centre and look around with my eyes instead of moving my head. However with this being my first VR headset I can't say for certain what normal looks like so I have the same concerns as you.

The image quality I mention above is consistent across native standalone games, Oculus link and VD.

Soldato
All VR headsets have distortion and blurring at the edges of the image. There have been reports though that some Quest 2 headsets have a smaller sweet spot and more god-rays than others - potentially a bad batch or differences in components from different suppliers.

Associate
Finally got round to playing a bit after Christmas.

(Have link cable as well and have used Virtual Desktop)

I sold my Rift S and got the Quest 2 thinking it would be pretty equal to image quality wise and wireless!

But....

When looking at any text - and a slight movement I just see this constant ghosting.

I cannot see any damage to the lens - they are clean and have tried different IPD settings and the ones in between.

Defective lens ?
Am I missing a setting somewhere ?
Anybody else have this weird text blurring/ghosting ?

Did you ever sort this out - had two Quest 2's in the last few days and both had awful blurring and ghosting so much so I'm refunding - also doesn't help that the IPD settings are so basic - I'm a 72mm and it doesn't go that high so already an issue.

Associate
Tryan index and then you will know what God rays look like.
Unfortunately this is an issue with vr, getting better but still a work in progress.

Bring on the lasers

Soldato
Did you ever sort this out - had two Quest 2's in the last few days and both had awful blurring and ghosting so much so I'm refunding - also doesn't help that the IPD settings are so basic - I'm a 72mm and it doesn't go that high so already an issue.

Have you ever used any other headset?

And not sure what you mean by "the IPD settings are so basic" If you have an IPD between 58mm and 68mm the Quest 2 has you covered. If you have an IPD outside that range, then you have only 2 options really, the Original Quest(covers 56 to 70) or the Valve Index(covers 58 to 70) And if your IPD is outside those ranges, there is nothing on the market that covers higher/lower IPD values.

Associate
Have you ever used any other headset?

And not sure what you mean by "the IPD settings are so basic" If you have an IPD between 58mm and 68mm the Quest 2 has you covered. If you have an IPD outside that range, then you have only 2 options really, the Original Quest(covers 56 to 70) or the Valve Index(covers 58 to 70) And if your IPD is outside those ranges, there is nothing on the market that covers higher/lower IPD values.
Used original rift that had better IPD options and bigger sweet spot. Also the HTC Cosmos covers up to 72. Quest 2 was just awful for me personally.

Back
Top Bottom