Windows 10 "lost" network adapter

Associate
Just spent an hour or so on phone with my son doing remote windows support with no success so hoping someone here might have a suggestion as I'm out of ideas.
Basically, he's just changed GPUs (from AMD 580 to nVidia 980ti) - before swapping he ran the AMD driver removal tool to get rid of the old drivers. When he started PC with new GPU it boots up and display work but when trying to update to nVidia drivers he found there's no internet connection.
We've been through a series of checks I suggested over the phone and established that windows is not seeing an ethernet adapter (in device manager with hidden devices shown it reports there are several entries for RealTek PCEL GBE family controllers with device status of not currently connected).
ipconfig only shows an IPv6 address which is from a logmein VPN service that's present - this isn't soemthign he thinks he's ever used so not sure why its there!
Via the ASUS EZFlash feature in the BIOS we seem to be able to establish that the PC can connect over the internet to find that there is a new BIOS that could be applied (we only did this to check it could connect and didn't update the BIOS) so looks like the hardware and connection via router works.
Swapping back to the AMD GPU makes no change which sems to rule out any odd conflict from the nVidia card.
Any ideas a to why windows 10 decided that there's no ethernet adapter connected (and why changing the GPU triggered this) - especially as evidence from EXFlash is that its working.
From sfc /scannow then it seems there may be some corrupted files but not beign able to see the logs directly I've no info on what these might be.

Thanks for any help!

It sounds to me like he has an AMD Chipset and the cleaner has "cleaned out" AMD chipset drivers, including the driver for the ethernet.

You could try going into Device Manager and right clicking on the fork at the top and click "scan for hardware changes" but if it has not picked up after a reboot this is unlikely to work. What motherboard has your son got?

Associate
OP
Its an intel CPU on an ASUS motherboard (strangely the ASUS mboard for intel CPU has a realtek network controller while my ASUS mboard has an Intel network controller!). Offhand can't remember the model number.
Scan for hardware changes made no difference.

Back
Top Bottom