Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

Associate
I just ordered a Razer Blade 15 with a 2080 max q.
Admittedly I am new to the world of gaming laptops and am wondering if I should in fact hold off for 3080 mobile GPU variants?

* Based on previous years releases, can we expect laptops to be available on this site within Q1?
* Will they be within the same ballpark price wise? For instance the Razer Blade w/ 2080 max q is around 2499 pounds.
* Again, speculative, but can I expect to find it difficult to grab a next gen laptop given the current shortages affecting NVIDIA? Id like to get my hands on a laptop within the next couple months.

Thanks in advance guys (again I am pretty clueless about this stuff).
- P

Soldato
I am new to gaming laptops too, I got a laptop with 2080 Super Max Q a month ago and tbh, unless you really notice high end frame rate differences it will do you well.

I am playing various new games at the min and have had no issues, Flight Sim 2020, Black Ops Cold War etc they all look great to me.

Associate
OP
I am new to gaming laptops too, I got a laptop with 2080 Super Max Q a month ago and tbh, unless you really notice high end frame rate differences it will do you well.

I am playing various new games at the min and have had no issues, Flight Sim 2020, Black Ops Cold War etc they all look great to me.

My only concern really is RTX Ray Tracing performance. I would like to run Cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles (given it is highly unoptimized right now).
I guess my fear is buyers remorse if in 2 months time there are 20 series laptops out there I could have gotten my hands on.

Soldato
Fair enough, I guess there is always something around the corner.

I suppose laptops will always be reduced somewhat so whether you can get the total max possibly best off waiting, depending the screen I guess might not be any point unless it's hooked up to external display.

I hope I get a couple years out of the laptop anyway with a 2080 super

Soldato
No one knows but CES is next week. Hopefully we will know more then.

MSI and Asus are expected to be the first to release RTX 30 series laptops in Q1. Others are expected to follow around April time.

It you can wait then I would, otherwise buy now but I’d be expecting a 20-30% discount on current laptops if I were buying now.

Soldato
Yeh from what I'm seeing you are better off holding off for the 3000 series laptops, especially at the £2,500 price tag.

I recently got my new laptop (15 inch Asus G15 with RTX 2070) for £900 ish, so I'm happy with that, but I would've been a bit salty if I paid over £1,000 with these 3000 series laptops around.

Soldato
Yeh from what I'm seeing you are better off holding off for the 3000 series laptops, especially at the £2,500 price tag.

I recently got my new laptop (15 inch Asus G15 with RTX 2070) for £900 ish, so I'm happy with that, but I would've been a bit salty if I paid over £1,000 with these 3000 series laptops around.

Where did you get that g15 from ?

Soldato
Where did you get that g15 from ?
Not sure I'm allowed to mention stores?
A place that has credit accounts as it's USP had reduced it. Reduced to £1,199 if you bought on credit, then they credit your account with 20% (£240). So technically £960.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So this guy going on about that external GPU saying it's just that cable to connect to laptop but there is also the 3 pin power lead you need to plug in to. Not exactly a portable gaming machine now is it ???

The use case for an external GPU is pretty well understood. The eGPU stays at your desk for when you're at your desk/home for some gaming, then when you're out the house you have a very small and lightweight laptop.

Back
Top Bottom