Permitted development for extension ?

Soldato
I am getting myself rather confused and not sure where to start, but all we want to do is extend our existing property to include a bigger kitchen dining area.

It is a single extension we are looking at, and I am not sure if I need planning permission, I have looked online at a few local council websites and planning portals

Our property is a 1950s ex council house, its a middle house of three, one either side, with rear garden access - ours is in the middle

The garden is over 200 ft long, and 12 foot long front garden, we want to add a single extension to the rear

From what I have read we can extend to half the existing width, and no more then 4 meter high, but I am confused with the 2 meter ruling for neighbours ??

Does anyone, have in layman terms what I can build without needing planning permissions, as the information is out there, but Its hard to put into a simple form of what I can get done without upsetting anyone

Soldato
Think you might be getting "half the width" confused with "half the land around the building". I'm not aware of any restrictions under permitted development for the width of an extension.

My understanding is as long as you aren't on designated land you should be able to do a single storey rear extension with eaves no higher than 3m and no more than 3m deep beyond the back of the original wall of the house.

Reasons are:
- As you are mid-terraced you'll likely be within 2m of the boundary on at least one side, limiting your eaves height to 3m
- Your property isn't detached so you can't extend beyond 3m
- a 3m deep extension is never going to be more than 50% of the land given your garden is 200ft long.

This is the best link to use for the details:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions

Also be really careful with the 3m rule. a 3m extension can easily become 3.1m once you factor in soffits, guttering etc and is measured against the original wall. You'll likely need the extension to be 2.6m maximum which will give you around 2.3m internally.

Soldato
OP
Think you might be getting "half the width" confused with "half the land around the building". I'm not aware of any restrictions under permitted development for the width of an extension.

My understanding is as long as you aren't on designated land you should be able to do a single storey rear extension with eaves no higher than 3m and no more than 3m deep beyond the back of the original wall of the house.

Reasons are:
- As you are mid-terraced you'll likely be within 2m of the boundary on at least one side, limiting your eaves height to 3m
- Your property isn't detached so you can't extend beyond 3m
- a 3m deep extension is never going to be more than 50% of the land given your garden is 200ft long.

This is the best link to use for the details:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions

Also be really careful with the 3m rule. a 3m extension can easily become 3.1m once you factor in soffits, guttering etc and is measured against the original wall. You'll likely need the extension to be 2.6m maximum which will give you around 2.3m internally.

Brilliant - that does make it way more clearer - so long as not exceeded by 3m deep does that mean I can build an extension of 3m x 5m 5m being the length across our rear wall?

As yes I am building next to a fence so 2 m of next door is not possible so I now understand the eaves height limit - the planning portal website is super useful - thank you for that. I am just doing some homework first, so as when I get builders in to quote, I don't get taken for a ride, as if i show some knowledge they won't try and give advise that could see them pocket additional funds. your post was very useful thank you

Soldato
Brilliant - that does make it way more clearer - so long as not exceeded by 3m deep does that mean I can build an extension of 3m x 5m 5m being the length across our rear wall?

As yes I am building next to a fence so 2 m of next door is not possible so I now understand the eaves height limit - the planning portal website is super useful - thank you for that. I am just doing some homework first, so as when I get builders in to quote, I don't get taken for a ride, as if i show some knowledge they won't try and give advise that could see them pocket additional funds. your post was very useful thank you

No problem at all. Yes you should be able to go 5m wide if your house is at least this wide. It might also be worth looking at an extension/orangery hybrid with roof lanterns and a fair amount of glazing. Glazing can work out cheaper than brickwork and will retain more light into the existing kitchen area / look modern:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ext...WbuHEKHfG-B_8Q_AUoAXoECBgQAw&biw=1680&bih=936

Soldato
OP
No problem at all. Yes you should be able to go 5m wide if your house is at least this wide. It might also be worth looking at an extension/orangery hybrid with roof lanterns and a fair amount of glazing. Glazing can work out cheaper than brickwork and will retain more light into the existing kitchen area / look modern:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ext...WbuHEKHfG-B_8Q_AUoAXoECBgQAw&biw=1680&bih=936

Thank you for the ideas, I like the idea of more glazing to let more light in.

Back
Top Bottom