Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Associate
There is a guy who races Celica's in some classic 90's racing series and does 1:15 laps round castle combe. (You would expect Plato to be even quicker) The Celica they used in the video was an original press car (JC tested it back in the day) and pretty standard. Something resto modded would be a lot more honest.

Sure proper race cars are quick, one of the motor club guys is quicker than that in an NA 106, you don't really compare race car times to road cars, that said the top cars in the mx5 challenge which is an entry level class for standard cars, do laps quicker than the old celica and are the same age, local boys doing what they do :D My 5 Sprint lap is a less impressive 1.23, that's a cold tyre run, hot lapping is quicker again, was just saying that its good pace out of the box before suspension tweaks, sticky rubber more boost etc.

In terms of times for road cars, the record in the next class up, A4, is held by a 911 turbo and the lap portion of that run comes out to a 1.15 so for avoidance of doubt this is cracking road car pace.

for anyone interested times from last event 2019 due to corona, Sprint Run Report (bristolmc.org.uk)

Yeah I mean a bit if boost and a 3sgte will be outputting 280bhp but the GR can also be boosted too soo. But anyway

there is a GT4 celica in those A4 results, it is not slow, in fact its 64ft is one of the quickest across all classes bettering big power Evos etc, that's almost 1G of acceleration from a standing start on road tyres (remember no tyre warming aloud) so doubt standard :eek: it does 1.19.7 on the lap portion.

GWS is lap and 3/4, to calculate lap time it is finish time - Int 1 time, as mentioned many of these cars would be a bit quicker hot lapping, this is sprinting, you go out cold and gun it, one shot and in.

Castle Combe lap times - FastestLaps.com has a compilation of road tester hot lap times (mostly autocar) at Combe, GR4 is in good company.

Last edited:
Soldato
It can... Just about.

But the timed runs were changing into 3rd to be fair.

When it gets a bit more dry again I'll be sure to try a launching just holding onto 2nd. I've already managed to get a warning about overheating the AWD though :o

Soldato
Testing with the DTUK tuning box + RS Fabrications 3" cat back. Video will be live at 7.30pm :)

Rapido. 4.4s for a manual car is very impressive, can’t wait for it now. Got Donington and Brands booked already, fingers crossed they go ahead.

Are all keyless cars a risk btw? Never had one before and I know certain brands are laughably easy to steal? Is Toyota one of them or not to worry? You can disable it I believe.

OcUK Staff
OP
It can... Just about.

But the timed runs were changing into 3rd to be fair.

When it gets a bit more dry again I'll be sure to try a launching just holding onto 2nd. I've already managed to get a warning about overheating the AWD though :o

Certainly keen to see what 60 you can manage by just holding onto 2nd, maybe a 4 flat as I know your quick at smashing gears from been a passenger with you lol.

Rapido. 4.4s for a manual car is very impressive, can’t wait for it now. Got Donington and Brands booked already, fingers crossed they go ahead.

Are all keyless cars a risk btw? Never had one before and I know certain brands are laughably easy to steal? Is Toyota one of them or not to worry? You can disable it I believe.

You can disable keyless entry using in car systems, you should do so, also store keys in one of those lines pouches or in a metal box, get a steering lock and disable or re-locate the OBD port. For added security maybe fit a decent alarm/immobiliser or fit a ghost.

Associate
A little limiter raise or run the 235/40/18 tyres Toyota suggest the boot was designed to hold assuming not a typo and 62 would like be achievable in 2nd.

Soldato

A bunch of people on my street robbed on the same night due to keyless entry, only last week. People woke up to their doors/boots left wide open. Different brands too including Fords, Mercs, Land Rover.

My neighbour keeps their keys in a tin and somehow they still managed to unlock the car. Yet the old school lock on my car kept them out.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 0-60mph can definitely be improved when it's dry. Ringing it out in 2nd may yield even better results too.

The way this car launches for some reason reminds me of videos I used to see of the Audi RS2. It just squats and goes with minimal fuss!

Soldato
You can disable keyless entry using in car systems, you should do so, also store keys in one of those lines pouches or in a metal box, get a steering lock and disable or re-locate the OBD port. For added security maybe fit a decent alarm/immobiliser or fit a ghost.

What a faff, why even include the system if they're not willing to make it safe & secure.

Back
Top Bottom