What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Soldato
Never played any sports games before, well at least since a PGA golf game on the mega drive. But picked up PGA Tour 2K21 and surprised, it's pretty good! SO that, stardew valley, stellaris, and Cyberpunk for me currently.

Soldato
Yeah it's not what it was, I'm only waiting to see what happens when it ports to a new platform in the coming months.

I was surprised at how big it was. I was at a friend's wedding in the Czech Republic a few years back and ended up talking to an retired couple that both play it. Really nice community around the game, I'm glad they've managed to keep it going after the death of Flash.

I hit the big 40 a few weeks ago. Not how I anticipated seeing out my thirties! Although for reasons, I spent the last night of my twenties drinking on my own in a Korean restaurant in Hong Kong. Wonder how I'll see out my forties :p

Associate
39 Years of age.

I used to love playing a game called Hunter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_(video_game)

I also played the Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge games, as well as several different flight sims that I cannot remember the names of, Quake (1, 2 and 3) Doom (1,2 and 3) Descent, Lemmings, Worms, Wolfenstein, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, COD (original), Team Fortress (original), Half-Life, Mario Games including all the Mario Karts, Street Fighter II, Goldeneye....... I could easily go on.

I started on an Amiga 500, then progressed to a PC when windows 95 released, but I've also owned a SNES, Game Boy, N64, GameCube, Wii, and WiiU as well as a Dreamcast.

Nowadays I love playing a variety of games, including DCS, MSFS2020, Stormworks (I play on my laptop when I'm just feeling creative and don't want to go sit at my PC), Dangerous Waters (again, laptop usually), Hunt Showdown, Beat Saber. I would love it if a modern version of Hunter were to be created - in fact I'm surprised something like that hasn't been created yet.

EDIT: just remembered another classic I used to love: Wargasm! I'd just bought myself a GeForce 256 card to upgrade from my ageing Riva128 and it looked amazing! (should have kept those cards looking back - almost like a piece of history)

Last edited:
Soldato
55 and mainly playing VR games (over 200 hours in Skyrim VR!), though have been catching up on some 2D games via the sales, such as Control and Fallen Order.

I find modern gaming is getting increasingly stale, but VR reminds me of how it was back in the 80's when new games and techniques were being discovered daily.

Associate
FS2020 although can't get it to run in VR,Star Wars Squadrons - epic in VR.... ??? RDR2 Battlefield 2, Battlefield V and I worked through all the Campaign / Single player in BF 1,3,4 & V over Christmas at Hard which I thoroughly enjoyed my Favorite "modern" Battlefield game is Bad Company 2, Love that almost as much as Battlefield 2..... and still waste hours on GTA V.

Also still play Acornsoft Elite,Aviator, Revs and Starship Command regularly on a BBC Micro Emulator, I love modern PC gaming but still enjoy the 8 bit stuff as much as I did back in the early 80's.

I'm 50 in 12 days... :(

Whats the issue with running FS2020 in VR? it took me a while to get it going but its bloody good. My RX6800 takes a hammering though

Caporegime
Whats the issue with running FS2020 in VR? it took me a while to get it going but its bloody good. My RX6800 takes a hammering though
No idea mate, if I’ve got my Rift CV1 plugged in (as it normally is) it (FS2020) just crashes to desktop if I try to engage VR mode, no issues with any other VR titles though.

Associate
Nearly finished Cyberpunk but distracted by Elite in VR again. Started Darkest Dungeon on the laptop. Solitaire at work in between reading forums. Done two hours of actual work today. :mad:

Associate
EDIT: just remembered another classic I used to love: Wargasm! I'd just bought myself a GeForce 256 card to upgrade from my ageing Riva128 and it looked amazing! (should have kept those cards looking back - almost like a piece of history)

Wargasm like Terranova Alpha Centauri, such ambitious games for the time and overlooked by the masses. The juggernaut of Doom, Quake stole the show for FPS.

Did you ever try Operation Flashpoint (2001 version by Codemasters) or Arma 2 or 3? :) If you are after the ultimate soldier/plane/armour sim, defintely recommend! Arma and OpFlash are both awesome. The games have quirks, but watch a couple of YouTube video's on how to use the Editor - Its reminiscent to playing toy soldiers as a kid; you create your own battles! One of my most ambitious missions, was to capture the 'Firefox' by infiltrating an airbase and stealing a jet stashed in one of the hangers. Even I made it too tough, so I had to use artistic licence so Clint gets a tank. All good fun especially when the AI goes rogue. :D

Associate
41 years old.

Since being out of the loop for over a year, I decided to get back into gaming.

First game I purchased was Death Stranding but in all honesty can't get to grips with it. Playing quite a lot of COD Cold War and bits of CP2077 on the side.

I am looking for something else that I can sink my teeth into though.

Associate
I think this past year I replayed all the classic Doom iterations, including Doom Zero and Sigil; Half Life 2 plus both chapters; Black Mesa; Doom Eternal plus DLC; Ion Fury and all the Bioshocks again. I am currently playing Prey, but I regularly have short classic Doom sesions (just one or two maps). In the future I plan to play Borderlands 3 and, when I can easily find a PS5 around, Demon´s Souls and Last of Us II. Also very excited about Zero Dawn 2 :). Oh! I also played a few Megadrive games! :D

Associate

Planetside 2 - Like to sink an hour into this daily. My only online game just now. Waiting for my next Battlefield fix, just not a huge fan on the ww1/2 era.
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Quite refreshing to play this from my usual, but I'm pretty bad at it lol, glad I never bothered with the Souls games as I think I would just lose it.
Immortals Fenyx Rising - Nice relaxing game to play, lots of exploring and just seems like a fun game.
Orcs Must Die 2 - Replaying through this, really enjoy this series.

Will get Cyberpunk 2077 in the near future.

Soldato
40 er 6.

Currently taking a short break from Division 2, which I've been playing religously with friends since March 2020's Lockdown.
Game of choice, thanks to CyberBUGS 2077 being a mess is Yakuza Kiwami 2. I am no stranger to the series and have always enjoyed the games. Kiwami 2 is MY 'night city' and gosh it is truly alive. The new engine means entering shops/buildings and then exiting them is now seamless and just makes the game feel a lot more immersive. It is heavily story orientated with a great combat engine, and great characters.

Back
Top Bottom