TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Do not worry at all. That wording it just to try to scare people who are doing nothing into paying. What will happen is the letters will get more and more aggressive and they will try more tricks to make you sound like a criminal then they loop right back to the start and go though the cycle again. Over the years you will get many final stages of our investigation red letters. Lost count in how many I had.

Sometimes I think about playing them at there own game and asking for the results of all the investigations on myself.
Has anybody ever had a visit?

Soldato
Yes, some people have no issues at all (not even letters) and some have been downright harassed by investigators it seems.
It would be nice if you could buy a device to actively block any channels that would fall under the licence. I think the general public would go for that if they were 100% sure they were not accidently breaking the law. I don't watch the BBC and don't watch live TV now, gave up on sport some time ago. Pretty much Prime, Netflix and Blu-rays the wife watches a bit of Freeview(not BBC channels). I can't afford an issues with the law so for now I'm paying it, I'd rather not.
That device would be illegal - see all the FCC leaflets you get if you buy a device with WiFi or 2.4GHz radio elements? The entire frequency band is controlled. You could build a Faraday cage into your walls if you like...

Associate
That device would be illegal - see all the FCC leaflets you get if you buy a device with WiFi or 2.4GHz radio elements? The entire frequency band is controlled. You could build a Faraday cage into your walls if you like...

I think they mean a device that for things like Freview, which is in all tv's sold in the UK, that it maintains an up to date record of the channel frequencies used by the beeb, and then prevents users from being to add them in. I don't think that'll be illegal since you're not tampering with actual radio frequencies and just telling the end unit to never accept said frequencies.

But that's really more of a set top box function, and leaving your TV unconfigured. Which is basically the same as doing a normal scan and then deleting and blocking the beebs channels that way too. So may as well just do the manual way.

Soldato
i Really like this idea, i wonder how you go about it, could we use GDPR ?
To be honest I am a little outdated on the rules. I think you can do a freedom of information act and they have to provide any information then have stored on you. Just email in.

Soldato
Not in the past 2 years, before before that I had a nightmare time with them. At the worst it was weekly visits with them putting the letters though the door with hand written notes saying stuff like " I said we will visit" "we are watching". e.c.t Then I withdraw there right of access and since then no problems.

Associate
To be honest I am a little outdated on the rules. I think you can do a freedom of information act and they have to provide any information then have stored on you. Just email in.

But that would also require you to give them your name and address, the name being something people won't give to them to begin with.

Soldato
But that would also require you to give them your name and address, the name being something people won't give to them to begin with.
In my case I gave them my address and name the first few time I let inspectors look around the house. Although I can see why others wouldn't want to and if I was doing this all over from the start I too wouldn't give them my name or address or let the inspector in.

Soldato
I'd never let some random person in without an appointment or a legal warrant accompanied by police or something. Could be anyone!

My old house had the electric metre inside, chap from my electric company rocks up and wants to take a reading. I told him no because I don't know who he is and there isn't an appointment for him to show up, so he went on his way :D

Soldato
I'd never let some random person in without an appointment or a legal warrant accompanied by police or something. Could be anyone!

My old house had the electric metre inside, chap from my electric company rocks up and wants to take a reading. I told him no because I don't know who he is and there isn't an appointment for him to show up, so he went on his way :D
So was he from your electric company or was he just "could be anyone!"?

Caporegime
I just get a letter or email every so often just to ask if my situation has changed. Never had anyone round but they are welcome to if they want, aerial is the complete opposite side of the room to the TV and I don't have a sky box.

Soldato
Think he was legit, but there are only about 5-6 big ones, could have just been pretending to be from one of the big ones.

It's an example more than anything else, but can't trust anyone who just shows up at my door really.
Sometimes I do that with the banks and other companies. Its like when they ring us and straight away ask us to confirm our details to prove who we are. The thing is they are the ones ringing and could be anyone if its not an expected call. If you stop them and point out they rang and need to confirm who they are before you give out personnel information they often get all puzzled on what to do. If its a really bad day I might say can you tell me the 2nd and 5 character of "random personally information X" to prove who you are.

Its different when its an expected call or from a known official phone number. Though when its a Virgin Media sales calls from an unknown number go all out on asking them for security checks. I bring them up as I feel this is a suitable fun response as I don't have a TV. VM ring me up all the time trying to sell extra live TV to my package despite me asking a note to be put on my account.

Last edited:
Associate
I been trying to persuade my mum to cancel her TV license as no one watches TV in our household, pretty much everyone is on their phone, tablets, ect, either YouTube, Netflix or prime. I been watching this youtuber, he has given great tips on what to do if you cancel your TV license. If you get letters, bin it. If someone turns up, don't acknowledge who you are, ask who they are and if they say, TV license, as we are British, politely slam the door to the face.

The investigator cannot enter your property without your permission, they can only do so, if they have a warrant and I can't see the Courts giving a warrant for a TV license inspection, even the Police have a hard time getting warrants.

You may get harassed, letters or what not, but just ignore it. TV License cannot do anything without your permission or a Court Warrant.

Also, guess what, I read an article, there is a group who is trying to get a law passed that if you stream video, such as Netflix, Prime, Disney ect, we should pay a subscription fee. I think they are realising a lot of people are cancelling TV license so they are losing revenues, so trying to get this sneakily passed. Cheeky buggers:mad:

Soldato
Free view IS live TV so the licence covers it.

Live TV is live broadcasts, most of Freeview is on demand. Essentially what we need is a set top box that filters out all content requiring a TV licence. Given all the other clever technology out there I wouldn't have thought it impossible to make one.

Soldato
I been trying to persuade my mum to cancel her TV license as no one watches TV in our household, pretty much everyone is on their phone, tablets, ect, either YouTube, Netflix or prime. I been watching this youtuber, he has given great tips on what to do if you cancel your TV license. If you get letters, bin it. If someone turns up, don't acknowledge who you are, ask who they are and if they say, TV license, as we are British, politely slam the door to the face.

The investigator cannot enter your property without your permission, they can only do so, if they have a warrant and I can't see the Courts giving a warrant for a TV license inspection, even the Police have a hard time getting warrants.

You may get harassed, letters or what not, but just ignore it. TV License cannot do anything without your permission or a Court Warrant.

Also, guess what, I read an article, there is a group who is trying to get a law passed that if you stream video, such as Netflix, Prime, Disney ect, we should pay a subscription fee. I think they are realising a lot of people are cancelling TV license so they are losing revenues, so trying to get this sneakily passed. Cheeky buggers:mad:
Some of there harassment is too bad and stressful to just ignore. Also I am not sure its good advice to just bin the letters. Sometimes if you only get monthly letters its ok to bin them. But if/when they decide to ramp up the harassment past monthly letters you can use the years worth of letters and evidence of multiple finial investigations at court. They cannot justify multiple investigations or extra harassment. More often then not they lose at court and you at least get a cash payout for your trouble with them due to proven harassment and normally no more problems with them after that. Sometimes you have to go the extra step to get rid of them.

Caporegime
Live TV is live broadcasts, most of Freeview is on demand. Essentially what we need is a set top box that filters out all content requiring a TV licence. Given all the other clever technology out there I wouldn't have thought it impossible to make one.

Most Freeview channels are "live TV" with Freeview Play adding on demand services.

Soldato
Most Freeview channels are "live TV" with Freeview Play adding on demand services.

Thanks. Below is the TV Licensing definition:

-----------------------------------------------------

"Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It also covers soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch live TV on any channel or TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc), on any device.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
  • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services
  • to watch satellite or online programmes shown live from outside the UK or Channel Islands.
You don’t need a TV Licence to watch videos or clips on demand on YouTube. But you do need a TV Licence if you watch TV programmes live on YouTube. An example of this would be watching Sky News live. But it isn’t just live news or sport which needs a licence – it’s any programme which is part of a TV channel, broadcast or transmitted for everyone to watch at the same time."

---------------------------------------------------------

Maybe deliberately so but it seems if you watch anything at all you need a TV licence. I'm not seeing any exceptions. What is the definition of a "TV programme"?

That said if I was to only watch Sky News live then they should get a share of the TV licence fee imo.

Back
Top Bottom