The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I opened a sample of Cotswold distillery single malt last night. I'm not sure how it's single malt if it comes from the Cotswolds as I thought that was protected by Scotland but it tasted nice, even slightly rye-like. Closest comparison would be something like the old Scallywag (though IIRC that was a blend). Some similarities to a Nikka Coffey or a Hudson Manhattan Rye.
Single malt is just a product from one distillery, no geographical protection for that.

Soldato
Without this turning into a Brexit debate, it's impossible to get whisky now to Northern Ireland. I fancied trying Arbeg and while I could get it on an supermarket I'd prefer to support whisky exchange and master of malt but neither ship to Northern Ireland. As for Amazon, there is an outright blanket on all alcohol. I guess I should sip what I have slowly and hope the situation changes.

Associate
Single malt is just a product from one distillery, no geographical protection for that.
Yes and no. Yes in that what you say is correct, but with the added point that it is only a valid descriptor for the UK. Most other countries don't have anything in law about what constitutes a single malt, so they could call something a single malt which doesn't match what we define as a single malt.

Without this turning into a Brexit debate, it's impossible to get whisky now to Northern Ireland. I fancied trying Arbeg and while I could get it on an supermarket I'd prefer to support whisky exchange and master of malt but neither ship to Northern Ireland. As for Amazon, there is an outright blanket on all alcohol. I guess I should sip what I have slowly and hope the situation changes.
It might be a good time to start looking at irish whiskey as an alternative? I'd hope that would be easier for you to get your hands on over there, admittedly I have no idea if that is actually the case or not, I'm just guessing.

Soldato
Yes and no. Yes in that what you say is correct, but with the added point that it is only a valid descriptor for the UK. Most other countries don't have anything in law about what constitutes a single malt, so they could call something a single malt which doesn't match what we define as a single malt.

It might be a good time to start looking at irish whiskey as an alternative? I'd hope that would be easier for you to get your hands on over there, admittedly I have no idea if that is actually the case or not, I'm just guessing.
I'm not a fan of Irish, but it still just limits to me what supermarkets or off licenses as again I'll not be able to import via the mainland. In regard about buying from the ROI, that would be subject to import taxes etc.

Associate
I'm not a fan of Irish, but it still just limits to me what supermarkets or off licenses as again I'll not be able to import via the mainland. In regard about buying from the ROI, that would be subject to import taxes etc.
Well here's hoping something gets sorted out soon so you can get easier access to the ones you like again!

Associate

Sounds a bit like here in the Channel Islands. Amazon won’t ship alcohol here (though some third party sellers might do). Master of Malt do for now, but I think technically it’s at risk of needing to pay local duty.

In other news, tonight’s Glenfiddich 15 year old Solera is going down very nicely! :D

Associate
There was a bottle of Ledaig 18 under the tree for me this year which is very nice. Sweet and woodsmoke-y without any medicinal taste, plenty of pepper.

I also picked up Bunnahabhain 12 from Waitrose for £30 which I thought was a bargain! Unfortunately, had to leave that and a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 back in the UK due to the new import rules in France (where I live). If I'd got my flight booked on the 27th then I would've been fine but it was cancelled and I was stuck in the UK for an extra 8 days!

Covid and Brexit are both ****, especially for whisky moving between UK and EU. I think our prices are going to go up :(

Associate
There was a bottle of Ledaig 18 under the tree for me this year which is very nice. Sweet and woodsmoke-y without any medicinal taste, plenty of pepper.

I also picked up Bunnahabhain 12 from Waitrose for £30 which I thought was a bargain! Unfortunately, had to leave that and a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 back in the UK due to the new import rules in France (where I live). If I'd got my flight booked on the 27th then I would've been fine but it was cancelled and I was stuck in the UK for an extra 8 days!

Covid and Brexit are both ****, especially for whisky moving between UK and EU. I think our prices are going to go up :(
Sorry to hear about you having to leave your bottles behind, that sucks especially when it is all down to things outwith your control. And that does not sound like it will be good news for the scotch whisky industry, considering France was, in the last few years (and possibly still is) the biggest importer of scotch, by volume, in the world.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about you having to leave your bottles behind, that sucks especially when it is all down to things outwith your control. And that does not sound like it will be good news for the scotch whisky industry, considering France was, in the last few years (and possibly still is) the biggest importer of scotch, by volume, in the world.
yeah not a great time to have any shares in Aberlour I guess!

Associate

Have you tried some smaller online stores?

Try Luvians, Robbie Whisky Merchants, Tyndrum Whisky Shop etc.

Associate

oh dear i hope you found them a good home or they are still there waiting for you ! treat it as an opportunity to try more ! :)

Associate
its happened again someone gave me some lidl queen margot whisky because they didnt want it and they know i like whisky.

its not the best but its not horrid like tesco own brand for example, it tastes a bit like bells to me. fine for mixing.

I see they have an 8yo one which is only 13 quid lol, half tempted to try it... unless someone else wants to take the bullet for me ha ha

Soldato
for cheap blends a really good way of using them up is to make either whisky fudge or whisky marmalade (if you're into home projects - I'm lucky to have a wife who is into both cooking and whisky so it's a nice weekend project for us)

Soldato
i wouldnt know where to start with that ha ha but i might look into it... ive drunk 1/4 of it today mixing with cola though :o
also a legitimate way of using it. We used a good amount on our Christmas cake this year too, feeding it a regular intervals - more regular than usual given wfh!

Back
Top Bottom