LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
Got a link to that article?
Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs - RTINGS.com

Ignore their first tests which were done on max brightness and with a test pattern.

The tests on that page were done with real-life sources (like CNN) on normal brightness.

Check the CNN image at two weeks on the magenta colour. Already you can see burn-in from the ticker-box in the lower left corner. So you know what you're looking for start at like week 10 then go backwards. Once you see it you can't un-see it :p At week two it's pretty faint but detectable.

Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

Soldato
@FoxEye thanks for the additional info. It's definitely something to be wary of, but not with the CX models as they have technology to avoid this. There's a video earlier in the thread where the specific CX model is tested with no burn in issues.

Caporegime
@FoxEye thanks for the additional info. It's definitely something to be wary of, but not with the CX models as they have technology to avoid this. There's a video earlier in the thread where the specific CX model is tested with no burn in issues.
Well a quick Google for "LG CX burn in" tells me a different story. YT videos and other sources where people with CX models have burn in, from gaming and monitor usage :p

I won't link because everyone can use Google here I'm sure.

Soldato
Well a quick Google for "LG CX burn in" tells me a different story. YT videos and other sources where people with CX models have burn in, from gaming and monitor usage :p

I won't link because everyone can use Google here I'm sure.

Luckily, I don't need Google as I've got a CX right here in front of me. I've been using it since 4th July 2020 and no burn in yet. In saying that, I haven't been watching any CNN. ;)

I'll be guaranteed to post in this thread when that inevitable burn in appears. Stay subscribed. :)

Associate
RTings showed image burn in from playing CNN 24/7 after only two weeks.

Two... weeks.

And LG confirmed that there's no difference between two weeks 24/7 and four weeks 12/7.

Anybody using a programming IDE, or Excel, etc, for long periods, is going to see burn in using this thing as a monitor.

Nearly 2 months here using it daily for work (programming). Probably have around 600 hours on the set now. No burn in at all. Not even image retention. Others have been using it as a daily driver for much longer without problems. There hasn't been a single report of burn in that I am aware of for the CX where precautions were taken.

I was worried as well so I got the JL burn in protection in case it happens. If I get burn in in 6 months I'll let you all know. But it seems great so far.

I do keep brightness to 100 nits (around 28 OLED brightness for me), use dark themes, hide taskbar, all the normal things.

Associate
Firmware 03.21.09 is available to download from LG

1. Improvement
1) Launcher visibility improvement
2) Listening to TV sound from mobile devices with LG ThinQ application
3) Adding number/color keys on screen remote

Associate
I am seriously considering disabling ASBL. I think it's the only annoyance I have with this screen now. It kicks in even on dark scenes on TV shows that remain for too long. I don't know why it has this kind of behaviour - I think LG made it too aggressive.

Soldato
Going off my own personal usage, I'm expecting it to be similar to their screen for live football and Call of Duty and barely experience any burn-in. Gaming is carried out at OLED Light 20-25, whilst movies and TV is done at 80-85 when it has no static elements. I turn it back for watching live football.

Making these changes is barely any effort and means I get the best of both worlds with this TV, which IMO is a far bigger upgrade than any other that I've ever made.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Firmware 03.21.09 is available to download from LG

1. Improvement
1) Launcher visibility improvement
2) Listening to TV sound from mobile devices with LG ThinQ application
3) Adding number/color keys on screen remote

That is just the basic stuff, they don't discuss the awesome picture quality improvements but its suppose to be in streaming services more.

Last edited:
Associate
HDR in games is too high I don't want to keep wearing my sunglasses about time they reduce it, you can turn off the Auto update for another fix if & when it comes!

Last edited:
Associate
Have LG said they'll reverse it then?
Yes I believe they acknowledged it and will release a fix.

HDR in games is too high I don't want to keep wearing my sunglasses about time they reduce it, you can turn off the Auto update for another fix if & when it comes!

And you have people complaining OLED hdr is not bright enough :D. The C1 main feature is hitting 1000 nits in HDR. Might need sun tan lotion too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nearly 2 months here using it daily for work (programming). Probably have around 600 hours on the set now. No burn in at all. Not even image retention. Others have been using it as a daily driver for much longer without problems. There hasn't been a single report of burn in that I am aware of for the CX where precautions were taken.

I was worried as well so I got the JL burn in protection in case it happens. If I get burn in in 6 months I'll let you all know. But it seems great so far.

I do keep brightness to 100 nits (around 28 OLED brightness for me), use dark themes, hide taskbar, all the normal things.
I just can't take the risk for that money.

£1500 is a boatload of money for me and any risk is too much risk.

The only way I could even consider it would be if there was a lifetime warranty against burn-in when using it as a monitor.

LG won't do that and it's simply too much money to take *any* chance. It's like a month's wages :p

Man of Honour
I just can't take the risk for that money.

£1500 is a boatload of money for me and any risk is too much risk.

The only way I could even consider it would be if there was a lifetime warranty against burn-in when using it as a monitor.

LG won't do that and it's simply too much money to take *any* chance. It's like a month's wages :p
If you were sensible with it, should be OK. Just don't have it on all day, hide the start menu, middling brightness etc.

Back
Top Bottom