• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Time to upgrade the old faithful i7 4790k

Associate
Hi guys firstly happy new year everyone!

I currently have a i7 4790k with a rtx 2070 super, the processor has been running with a stable overclock at 4.7ghz for what seems like an eternity and still going but im starting to notice its bottlenecking on some titles that use a lot of processer power, im also using triples not sure if that would put more strain on the processor or not,

My question is im looking to upgrade with around a £600 budget which is the best motherboard,ram and processor bundle to go for from this spec to see a decent jump in performance or the logical way to go,

Many thanks in advance guys

Associate
Hold off for a while longer if you can, not a good time to be buying hardware, stock issues for AMD's 5000 series, prices are inflated right now for almost everything.

Intel also launching Rocket Lake 11th Gen CPU's in the next few months.

i7 4790K isn't awful, a little slower than a Ryzen 3600x for games.

EDIT: If you have too then maybe a Ryzen 7 5800x Bundle, will struggle to keep it below £700 right now... But it's doable with a B550 motherboard, £630-£650.

Last edited:
Soldato
definitely not a good time to upgrade.

but if you have to i think intel 10th gen is probably better value than Zen3.

alternatively you can grab a AMD zen2 bundle.

but all of them are not as good value as they can be. ram prices will go down tbh

there is a bundle with 3600 & B550 Strix F - £350 all in. it is not a bad deal but again not great.

Soldato
Not sure I'd agree.

Right now availability of 5600/5800 are sound. I'm in same boat as you (4790k) and been looking to move for few months to 5900x.

Over the next few weeks it should stabilise even more judging from stocks flowing in. Look at reviews and then consider what you want. Also consider the prices cause you can easily find them about for RRP right now.

People going to shout to wait for rocket lake, by then zen 4 will be out so not much point comparing a now CPU vs one one 8 months cause there's no flipside of comparing zen 3 to 4...

Associate
10700f would be the chip I'd be buying if I had to get a new mobo, it's going for around 300

Ryzen 5000 only makes sense if you already have an am4 board imo

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replys everyone!

Definitely plenty to think on, think i may wait a couple of months and check prices again.I was kind of thinking that the ram prices may come down

Associate
Associate
I was tempted to upgrade, but I am going to hold off for Zen4 as Zen3 is the final chip on AM4. I don't really want to upgrade to an end-of-life socket and RAM.

But, when Zen 4 arrives you may need to wait 4 months to find one in stock too. Life and time are short, don't spend your life waiting.

(so speaks the little devil on your shoulder!)

Associate
to be fair whenever you upgrade a newer system is out within a 6 months that is quicker, it doesn't mean what you have is bad just the newer one generally does it quicker. Rocket lake will be released in march but new chipset and CPU alderlake likely to be released in October. I upgraded from 6700K to 10700K and I personally noticed a massive difference in performance.

Back
Top Bottom