The best free program to clone a ssd

Soldato
In a few days my mate is getting a 500gb ssd as his 64gb ssd is full, now what tools would you recommend to clone the old ssd to the new one?

Soldato
Does Reflect work from within Windows, or do you boot from USB?

I just bought a 2TB 970 EVO Plus, to replace my 500GB one... guessing it should be as simple as putting the new drive in my second NVME slot and cloning using the software in a couple of clicks.

Cheers,

Su

Soldato
Does Reflect work from within Windows, or do you boot from USB?

I just bought a 2TB 970 EVO Plus, to replace my 500GB one... guessing it should be as simple as putting the new drive in my second NVME slot and cloning using the software in a couple of clicks.

Cheers,

Su

Samsung SSDs can use Samsung Data Migration Software to do the cloning that what I use.

Just plug both drives in and it will clone the old one to the new Samsung. Remove the old drive and reboot.

Associate
To save me starting a new thread, this looks like it answers my question, but just want to check as I have an NVME drive and want to upgrade it to a bigger NMVE. I have 2 M.2 slots on my mobo, will Macrium free clone the live OS drive OK?
Many thanks.

Soldato
To save me starting a new thread, this looks like it answers my question, but just want to check as I have an NVME drive and want to upgrade it to a bigger NMVE. I have 2 M.2 slots on my mobo, will Macrium free clone the live OS drive OK?
Many thanks.

Yes, it will also make the partition fill the whole drive when cloning to a new bigger disk, so you don't have to mess about growing the partition after the clone.

Soldato
Samsung SSDs can use Samsung Data Migration Software to do the cloning that what I use.

Just plug both drives in and it will clone the old one to the new Samsung. Remove the old drive and reboot.

One more question for this thread please :D

Bought the same drive for my GF's PC, but she only has one NVMe slot - would either software (Samsung/Macrium) still work if I connected the new drive via a USB3 adapter?

Cheers,

Su

Soldato
Can anyone offer some help?
Bought 1tb nvme, want to clone both my 256gb ssds on to it. Macrium clones one fine and dandy, but it won't clone the other into the free partion in the nvme, it just overwrites the one I've already cloned?

Soldato
Not sure why you'd want to do this in the first place.

Macrium will allow copy individual partitions. Just drag-and-drop them into unpartitioned space on the target drive.

Permabanned
I find there is no one "fix all" solution for cloning. Samsung's for example can really make a mess if the drive it is cloning has more than one partition. They all have their issues.

Permabanned
Can anyone offer some help?
Bought 1tb nvme, want to clone both my 256gb ssds on to it. Macrium clones one fine and dandy, but it won't clone the other into the free partion in the nvme, it just overwrites the one I've already cloned?

Why would you want to clone two SSD's to single one new one? I mean the only reason for cloning really is to clone the system. Everything else is really easy to just use "copy".

Associate
Just to high jack.

Cloned using Macrium Reflect. I did all the BIOS and about to remove the old SDD (120GB) but noticed the new SDD (512GB) has been cloned as a 120GB leaving the rest of the space unpartitioned. I don't want 'another' partition I want to clone but show as full 512gb (or whatever is left over). Had a look thought the settings for Macrium Reflect but can't see a setting to do this? Help.

Back
Top Bottom