Purchase without a test drive?

Soldato
OP
I bought my 440i “click and collect”. The day I went to pick it up I got to drive and inspect it first before signing the purchase.

Yeah by the sounds of it I wouldn't be able to drive it beforehand with just the option to return within the 14 days

VW's Das Welt program is usually pretty good but I've had issues with it before.

Mind asking what kind of issues?

Man of Honour
Yeah by the sounds of it I wouldn't be able to drive it beforehand with just the option to return within the 14 days

Mind asking what kind of issues?

Easiest one to explain my parents bought a vehicle through it that had a hose loose which should not even remotely have passed the kind of inspection that was claimed was done causing damage to the turbo less than 2 miles of driving from the dealer and they were given the run around until they went in hard. On the other hand we've had many vehicles through it as a family that have been a good experience.

Soldato
I've got this issue, my lease car is due to be returned in Feb.

Really do not like the idea of buying something (I'm looking at cars on 17/67 plates) that I can't even look at first never mind test drive, I typically don't trust the trade.

I'd happily do it for something brand new but a car can really be abused in a few years.

Actually got to view a car over the Christmas period, looked perfect online and dealer did me a video.. Great. Was local and they arranged an appointment for me to view it, interior was cleaned to within an inch of it's life (all the matt plastics were now shiny and tacky) but they missed some parts in the boot when you looked and it was filthy you could smell dog in the boot and then in the back when you dropped the arm rest.

Aagghh annoying.

Associate
I would never buy a car without test driving it first. Again :D :mad:

Years ago the other half saw a car she liked at one of those car supermarkets in London. The test drive consisted of being a passenger while a salesman drove it up and down the street outside for less than a mile. She wanted it so she bought it and picked it up a week later. I drove it home and it was a right lemon.

You say you can return it, but that's not so easy if:
- you've traded something in that's now on it's way to the auction house
- you live quite a distance from the stealer dealer you bought it from
- you've taken their finance and are contracted in
- you don't want the hassle of court, a lemon you can't drive and losing money.

Of the cars I've test driven in the past I've had one completely cut out on acceleration and one blow a radiator during the test drive.

Don't be stupid - test drive it. It could be a customer returned lemon.

Caporegime
You say you can return it, but that's not so easy if:
- you've traded something in that's now on it's way to the auction house
- you live quite a distance from the stealer dealer you bought it from
- you've taken their finance and are contracted in
- you don't want the hassle of court, a lemon you can't drive and losing money.

Don't be stupid - test drive it. It could be a customer returned lemon.

I do agree with the above, even though I was happy to buy essentially sight unseen. I should probably clarify that I had already driven a couple of great examples so knew how a good one should have driven. It was a straight cash purchase without a trade-in, and I didn’t transfer the full funds until I’d seen the car, and clarified that it was as described.

It was an odd experience, especially the initial deposit and part payments made before speaking to anyone (electronic communication only until then), and an experience I’d happily avoid in the future if possible, but for the right car, from a franchised dealer, in the right spec, and at the right price (my car has gone up in value since), I was happy enough to accept the small risk involved.

I’m inherently aware that I was in a good position to argue to give the car back, given the circumstance of the purchase however. Not sure I’d have taken the same risk with a trade-in to consider.

Soldato
Test drive or walk away! So many things can be hidden even on relatively new cars. Try getting a refund nowadays for an expensive purchase like a car its not going to be easy is it they will just offer to fix & then the car will sit around for months waiting for you to hassle them so they do something about it!

I guarantee there must be a creative way for you to test drive it & respect social distancing measures...……..!! If you tell the dealer you want a test drive do you really think they will say no & turn away a prospective sale!!

Soldato
I guarantee there must be a creative way for you to test drive it & respect social distancing measures...……..!! If you tell the dealer you want a test drive do you really think they will say no & turn away a prospective sale!!

I guess we will see, I'm going to let the lockdown dust settle for a few days and message about a few cars on my radar.

From what I've seen dealers are using this as an opportunity to cut out as much contact as possible and people do seem to be buying cars unseen and having them delivered to them all at asking price.

Man of Honour
Nope. I agreed to buy a 2 year old S3 from a main dealer a couple of years ago. I paid a deposit after seeing what appeared to be a fantastic car on the videos they sent.

When I arrive I couldnt believe how bad condition it was and demanded my deposit back.

Caporegime
I wouldnt even buy a new car without testing it. They can also have problems if someone didnt build it right.
How would you propose to achieve this?

You don’t test drive your exact car if you order a factory build, you drive something similar, order your spec and either get post-inspection issues resolved or reject the vehicle AFTER buying it assuming the issues are bad enough to warrant rejection.

Soldato
How would you propose to achieve this?

You don’t test drive your exact car if you order a factory build, you drive something similar, order your spec and either get post-inspection issues resolved or reject the vehicle AFTER buying it assuming the issues are bad enough to warrant rejection.

Not all new cars are factory orders. I've bought a brand new car out of a showroom before and tested it first.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for your input. Reading through the mixed experiences think I'll just take the sensible option and wait til the dealerships reopen.

Although I can imagine cars may be harder to come by initially as others will likely be doing the same?

Soldato
Emailed a dealer today about a Skoda Octavia, it is as expected.

Dealer sent a video of a black car in the dark... anyway.

He confirmed in the video only click and collect or home delivery were available.

This is Evans Halshaw.

Hi,

Thank you for the video,

Could you please outline how the click and collect service works?

As you can imagine buying a £12.5k car sight unseen does not fill me with confidence.

I understand your concerns fully, however we have a 7 day 250 mile money back guarantee in place for piece of mind. The process would be agree a deal then I would send you our bank details for a bank transfer. I would need a certificate of motor insurance for the new car. If a part exchange is involved and service history keys V5 log book. If you would like me to call you in the morning to talk through it I would be happy to do that for you.

Looks like I might be extending my lease even though I really don't want too.

Will try a few dealers.

Last edited:
Associate
Just make sure the car is OK. In the past had to return 2 cars from dealers, within warranty period. A DS3, Peugeot owned franchise. Whole passenger side was repainted, previous accident, they denied it. Once taking delivery, my 10 quid gadget for paint thickness reported 4x thicker paint one side. Rejection.
Then a Leon SC. Rear driver side, Seat dealer, same problem. By the time they arrange collection for that car, water ingress in the boot, even the venting flaps were fitted upside down.
My advice, run your own check, see if every panel is aligned, plus test-drive.
The DS3 was Europcar owned, which they also lied about, as being a private owned, not rental.

Associate
I bought my current car without a test drive. Completely alien to me but less risky if you are buying something relatively new (2 years old), under manufacturer warranty and from a main dealer.

In my case, the car is relatively rare so not easy to find. I travelled 200 miles to pick it up. Dealer was very communicative, sent detailed videos that I could view and allowed a close inspection before hand over. I had even paid for it in full before I arrived.

I had already test driven a car with the same engine locally so I knew how it would drive.

2.5 years later and I have no regrets.

I wouldn't do it with something older or something that is fairly common and easy to get hold of.

Associate
I've just ordered a 2018 Octavia from Cazoo for delivery next week. So far, the process has been a breeze (just like the adverts!). Also their customer service has been excellent. I've called them up several times with specific questions, to which they've replied via email by end of day. It's due its first MOT in May and because that's within 6 months they will include that for me. Paying first before test driving it is a backwards approach, but I am reassured by their 7-Day Money Back Guarantee and my credit card's payment protection (some dealerships don't take credit card). I did ask if they can deliver two cars(!) so that I could pick between manual and automatic but unfortunately I'd either need to outright buy them both, or return the first one.

Personally I wouldn't do this with older vehicles, or an independent dealer, without some degree of trust. However I have no problem doing this with a large car supermarket.

Soldato
I've just ordered a 2018 Octavia from Cazoo for delivery next week. So far, the process has been a breeze (just like the adverts!). Also their customer service has been excellent. I've called them up several times with specific questions, to which they've replied via email by end of day. It's due its first MOT in May and because that's within 6 months they will include that for me. Paying first before test driving it is a backwards approach, but I am reassured by their 7-Day Money Back Guarantee and my credit card's payment protection (some dealerships don't take credit card). I did ask if they can deliver two cars(!) so that I could pick between manual and automatic but unfortunately I'd either need to outright buy them both, or return the first one.

Personally I wouldn't do this with older vehicles, or an independent dealer, without some degree of trust. However I have no problem doing this with a large car supermarket.

You haven't got the car yet, report back when it comes. Would be interested to know if condition was as expected.

I'm actually looking at the Skoda Octavia but more on 17/67 plates.

Back
Top Bottom