BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I also had an fttp enable email from BT on Christmas Eve.

So I have ordered the Zen 500/75 package which should suit my needs fine, going from 65/20 should be a decent upgrade!

Soldato
Afternoon all!

I live in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, FTTP seems to be coming to our local area, Shefford, Henlow, Clifton. My SKY BB package is up on the 12th of Feb 2021 so I'm in a position where I stay with SKY, move to BT (Or another provider) but I'm concerned our town will have FTTP rolled out whilst I'm still in a 24 month contract?

I've spoken at length with my wife and we both feel SKY are too expensive for our needs and will move to a better broadband speed (When we can) and just opt for streaming services ....

Or Am I missing another option?

Thanks

Soldato
Afternoon all!

I live in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, FTTP seems to be coming to our local area, Shefford, Henlow, Clifton. My SKY BB package is up on the 12th of Feb 2021 so I'm in a position where I stay with SKY, move to BT (Or another provider) but I'm concerned our town will have FTTP rolled out whilst I'm still in a 24 month contract?

I've spoken at length with my wife and we both feel SKY are too expensive for our needs and will move to a better broadband speed (When we can) and just opt for streaming services ....

Or Am I missing another option?

Thanks

I'm waiting too. I've just stayed with Plusnet but not tied myself into a new contract. Are there rolling monthly options?

Caporegime
No FTTC provider is going to stop you moving to an FTTP service in contract, so as long as whatever you pick for FTTC can also do FTTP then you should be good to go.

Soldato
BT sounds like the best option in that case?

I’m assuming SkyQ works on BT FTTC without issues

Random fact - you can re-contract with Sky at any time, on any service, they also don’t hold you to contract if you move to an area and they can’t supply you with the same broadband service. Either way you’ll usually find BT are more expensive at face value than Sky, but factor in Quidco and that can change dramatically.

Soldato
Random fact - you can re-contract with Sky at any time, on any service, they also don’t hold you to contract if you move to an area and they can’t supply you with the same broadband service. Either way you’ll usually find BT are more expensive at face value than Sky, but factor in Quidco and that can change dramatically.
Good to know!

Post February my broadband + phone line goes to £39 and looking at BT they have the same package for £29 (currently) which makes a fair yearly saving over 24 months....

Caporegime
BT sounds like the best option in that case?

I’m assuming SkyQ works on BT FTTC without issues

I don't really see any reason not to look at TalkTalk. The service is likely on a par with BT (e.g. any problem you have that is a bit weird will need you to post on their forums to resolve), the main differences are a slightly poorer bundled router and no IPv6.

I'm with BT for FTTC (no fibre available sadly) and I can't fault the product at all.

Soldato
I don't really see any reason not to look at TalkTalk. The service is likely on a par with BT (e.g. any problem you have that is a bit weird will need you to post on their forums to resolve), the main differences are a slightly poorer bundled router and no IPv6.

I'm with BT for FTTC (no fibre available sadly) and I can't fault the product at all.
Hey Mate

sorry I’m a bit confused, you say go to TT but your with BT and you can’t fault them? Do TT have better hardware, sorry if I misread it :)

Thanks ....

Caporegime
TalkTalk is a fair bit cheaper than BT if you just want internet, I'm sort of stuck with BT as I have other services with them. Just putting another option out there.

Soldato
TalkTalk is a fair bit cheaper than BT if you just want internet, I'm sort of stuck with BT as I have other services with them. Just putting another option out there.
Ah I see now, thanks

The in-laws live in the annex adjacent to our house and they are old school landline lovers so they’d cover the cost for that part as they do now .... food for thought though! ;)

Soldato
You may find that some providers may not be available in your area right away.

I have just had FTTP enabled for my area (got the email from OR on Xmas day!) and I can order it on the BT site but the TT site says it isn't available in my area yet. I'm locked into TT FTTC for another year so I can't jump ship just yet and I'd rather not as TT is cheaper.

I might try and call them in the week to see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom