Adverts on Youtube videos

Soldato
Is it only me or have these seemed to increase rapidly over the past year? A lot of videos now have a least two adverts before you even watch it, each being 3+ seconds, some with ~10 seconds ads.

A few years ago there were no adverts apart from on things like film trailers

Does everyone who uploads of video include adverts or something? I've got to the point now where if I see an advert I close the video and search for another or on another website to find what i'm looking for

Associate
I started paying for youtube premium to remove all the adverts. I found I was watching youtube 10x as much as netflix, so cancelled netflix and used that money.

Theres a huge amount of good original content on youtube that isn't click-bait. Good indepth historical or hobby stuff that is well worth my money. I'm happy to pay for a service if its good, and this case its well worth it to me.

Man of Honour
Is it only me or have these seemed to increase rapidly over the past year? A lot of videos now have a least two adverts before you even watch it, each being 3+ seconds, some with ~10 seconds ads.

A few years ago there were no adverts apart from on things like film trailers

Does everyone who uploads of video include adverts or something? I've got to the point now where if I see an advert I close the video and search for another or on another website to find what i'm looking for

Just pay for premium, but Google around for ways to do it as cheaply as possible... There are ways of paying a lot less than youtube may show you if you've spent zero effort looking in to it.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
yea they want to annoy you into premium. must say, did a two month trial back at the start of December as more time in meant I was using more content. I would be happy to continue paying for premium as much as I'm using it as its hassle free.

no idea if it helps fund my favourite content creators or not.

Soldato
There has been a marked increase since the pandemic hit, especially i've noticed some channels that were usually ad-free due to yt's policies now have ads (mostly gun relsted stuff)

If the channels are now actually getting ad revenue from it i cant say i mind, although i've not seen them making any noise about anything changing.

Soldato
Does seem to be a lot more now, normally its those annoying 5 second ones before the video plays but also a lot more adverts in the middle of content. The latter are more annoying as I usually watch on the tv so you have to find the remote to skip it.

Soldato
yea they want to annoy you into premium. must say, did a two month trial back at the start of December as more time in meant I was using more content. I would be happy to continue paying for premium as much as I'm using it as its hassle free.

no idea if it helps fund my favourite content creators or not.
Premium pays them quite a bit. This guy is a 77K sub youtuber who does monthly long form game critiques and he publishes every cent he earns from it on his website: https://cdavisgames.com/statistics/

After 3 years, $7.3k from ads, $10.9k from premium/red

Soldato
YouTube used to not advertise on channels who chose not to monetise; that very recently changed, so YouTube force adverts on channels, and it won't necessarily earn those those channels a cent.

This will have dramatically increased the number of adverts being shown.

Back
Top Bottom