Golf Thread

Associate
I'm crap at golf. I did hit a significant milestone before Christmas though - first round without losing a ball! Probably partly because my driver miss was a low pull which only went about 100 yards rather than the wild slices I used to hit, but I'll take it :D

Soldato
I've played a bit in the past but never regularly maybe twice a year. I didn't even have a driver in my bag and had a mixed set of clubs I'd cobbled together over the years. I started to play golf again after the first lockdown a lot more. There wasn't anything else to do. I must admit I've got properly hooked (see what I did there). 66 rounds later over the past 8 months and I've improved quite a lot. I started on a handicap of 28 and now with the new system I'm currently playing off 16.1. Breaking 90 was a massive achievement which I did in September. Now the past couple of weeks as seen me play the best golf so far which is strange considering the weather and course conditions. I was on for a 79 last week which was to be 8 over for the course but on the last hole I put one right in the trees so it was 3 off the tee which means I ended up with 81. I'm still dead happy with that and this year I hope to get my handicap below 15 which will be a big ask. I managed to get myself fitted for some new irons in the summer TM Sim Max which have been a great help as the extra length at my height has given me much more control. I've gone from being scared of drivers to now looking forward to getting it out of the bag. Golf has been such a relief from all the restrictions and I will miss it very much during this lockdown. Luckily I've managed to get a little putting area in my garage which is useful.

Soldato
Getting back into my golf after about 8 years away from it.

Rejoined my old club and been playing through the winter.

Also testing out some Vice Balls and Snell balls recently to see how they stack up against Pro v's.

Cold start to the day today.....golf was ropey at the start as well. Double bogie, triple bogie start.... Then +1 for next 16 holes!!

Shot 74 with 4 birdies, 3 doubles and a triple! Struck the ball very well with driver today and hole a few decent putts. It's not the longest course in the world but happy with that.

Played with Vice Pro Plus ball - 18 holes. Lovely feel, very Pro V1 like....Got some nice spin around the green on 2nd bounces etc - Impressed with it. A few small scuffs on it overall but nothing that I wouldn't expect on a Pro V ball. Love the black line on the ball for lining up my putts - very nice.

golf-jpg.1470992

Permabanned
Getting back into my golf after about 8 years away from it.

Rejoined my old club and been playing through the winter.

Also testing out some Vice Balls and Snell balls recently to see how they stack up against Pro v's.

Cold start to the day today.....golf was ropey at the start as well. Double bogie, triple bogie start.... Then +1 for next 16 holes!!

Shot 74 with 4 birdies, 3 doubles and a triple! Struck the ball very well with driver today and hole a few decent putts. It's not the longest course in the world but happy with that.

Played with Vice Pro Plus ball - 18 holes. Lovely feel, very Pro V1 like....Got some nice spin around the green on 2nd bounces etc - Impressed with it. A few small scuffs on it overall but nothing that I wouldn't expect on a Pro V ball. Love the black line on the ball for lining up my putts - very nice.

golf-jpg.1470992

Oh hello fellow Vice player! :)

I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing, but I really like their balls too. Been using the Vice Tours for the past two seasons, though I do find they scuff up a bit too easily. Just about to put in my order of ten dozen custom printed ones for this season.

Soldato
Oh hello fellow Vice player! :)

I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing, but I really like their balls too. Been using the Vice Tours for the past two seasons, though I do find they scuff up a bit too easily. Just about to put in my order of ten dozen custom printed ones for this season.

First time testing them - Got a sample pack of Snell as well to try out.

Associate
Sos for thread revival, but just looking for some insight. Looking for a new hobby to get me out of the house now I'm homeworking fully time. Lots of golf courses near me, but always ruled it out as seems to be more of a social club, and don't mix in 'those' circles.

I'm wondering if this is a realistic hobby to try to get into? I'm relatively introverted and not interested in the social side. Money isn't a problem.

Cheers in advance. Sorry if an idiotic question.

Also, is this something I can likely get a taste for in VR or does it not quite work like that?

Soldato
Sos for thread revival, but just looking for some insight. Looking for a new hobby to get me out of the house now I'm homeworking fully time. Lots of golf courses near me, but always ruled it out as seems to be more of a social club, and don't mix in 'those' circles.

I'm wondering if this is a realistic hobby to try to get into? I'm relatively introverted and not interested in the social side. Money isn't a problem.

Cheers in advance. Sorry if an idiotic question.

Also, is this something I can likely get a taste for in VR or does it not quite work like that?

I guess you could easily just go play by yourself if that's what you prefer, though the social aspect and playing with friends is part of the banter and enjoyment I get from golf aswell as it being very challenging but also provides a lot of desire to get better.

VR won't be anything like the real thing.

Soldato
I guess you could easily just go play by yourself if that's what you prefer, though the social aspect and playing with friends is part of the banter and enjoyment I get from golf aswell as it being very challenging but also provides a lot of desire to get better.

VR won't be anything like the real thing.

I echo the thoughts above too, I've played alone and its not half as fun. A bad shot by someone in your own group makes you feel much better - trust me!

Associate
Fair enough :)

Just as a control question, can I ask you both, do you much prefer hiking in a group, vs say, hiking on your own with podcasts etc.

Last edited:
Underboss
Turn up, play and leave, I see loads of golfers out on their own. You may not be able to get a tee slow as a single until after peak playing times however.

Go to a practise range before you venture out on the course, unless of course 'those' circles you mention include a driving range anyway, it's golf, not dogging.

Soldato
Playing golf with mates/friends and even randoms is better than solo.... for me anyway. Half the fun/enjoyment is ripping the "pee" out of your mates, but then at the same time watching them produce a superb shot.

I've just rejoined my old club after 8 years away from golf. Got a new 2 iron to hit tomorrow and a full new bag fitting (drive/irons/wedges) for 27th April. Can't wait for that.

Soldato
I tended to play a lot of solo golf due playing midweek in the afternoon when my golf friends were working.

I'd always take the opportunity to join another person or group where possible though as golf is as much about the social side for me.

If it was a choice of solo golf or no golf, I'd absolutely play solo. I see quite a lot of solo players out there, especially at the municipal club I play at a lot.

Soldato
Poor ball striking day today for me - 2nd round for handicapp.

All over the show - hit 2 fairways today...So bad. Scrambled not too bad but a couple of 3 putts from 20ft didn't help. Greens getting hollow tined as we played.

New 2 iron was nice - hit a couple of beauties with it today - lovely low ball flight, very little run if any and was getting around 225 yards with it. Driver was awful.

Full fitting re-booked for 27th April - Driver, Irons, Wedges.... Can't wait.

Soldato
I'm just jealous that you're allowed to even play.

If I shoot below 90 on my first round back, I'll be happy. I'm expecting the short game to be absolutely terrible as I've not swung a club for nearly a year.

The big issue will be getting a tee time. Most private clubs around here have restricted tee times to members only until mid April. The nearest public courses will be rammed I'm guessing so I think I'll hit the range a few times first.

Back
Top Bottom