Energy Suppliers

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's literally pointless posting prices (and DD amounts), the price you pay varies by postcode for every provider.
And also a DD number means nothing anyway, everyone uses different amounts and for different purposes (that is a few days usage for us on a leading tariff).

Rates are a little depressing lately I must say, it wasn’t long ago that I considered a kWh to be “around” 10p in Oxfordshire

Caporegime
JqhuKRq.png

Live by myself, house is rated C/C. IPR light throughout most of the house, very well insulated. Thermostat set to 18c in evening, house is usually 21/22c.

My house is rated C/D and the second rating is your carbon footprint so doesn't really matter in terms of how much energy you use.

I've since installed solar panels so my rating will have improved slightly. I could do with a new boiler at some point as mine is around 25 years old. No point replacing it until it dies.

I've installed led lights in every socket available. I have in most cases got the best energy rated products.

The size of the house and location is important. Up here in Scotland I will have my heating on most of the year bar maybe 4 months. It's a large 3 bed detached. For example the house next door is also 3 bed detached but much smaller.

If you live nearer the equator the less heating you require. Still though £35 a month I reckon I use that alone in electricity never mind gas on top which is far more.

Essentially it can be deduced you live in a rather small place nearer the equator than I do. Even if I turned my heating off completely. I'd still be likley paying more than you. Unless it's summer and my solar panels are doing their job.

Regardless the amount you pay isn't really what we want to know. It's the tariff.

How much you pay per day in standing charges for gas and then electric.

Then how much you pay per unit of gas and then electric.

That's the important part. Because I cannot turn anything off. I use what I use and that's why I cannot reduce my bill without spending thousands on a new boiler or triple glazing, etc. All of which would only reduce it a tiny amount so pointless doing until they fail.

Associate
Does anyone know if the Octopus referral bonus still works? My Dad reckons he can't get it to work as he's with them. I can't help but doubt him sometimes when it comes to electronics unfortunately.

Associate
Does anyone know if the Octopus referral bonus still works? My Dad reckons he can't get it to work as he's with them. I can't help but doubt him sometimes when it comes to electronics unfortunately.

I presume that because there was a post deleted and marked "no referrals", that Octopus are still doing referrals? I think i'll get onto him to have another look.

Associate
I think I was lucky when I fixed for 18 months with ESB energy I got 12.20p/Kwh for Electric and 2.3p/kwh for gas! I am actually paying less now than I have done for the last few years.

Associate
I just had a year with EON at 12.8p KWh but that changed to over 17p at renewal :(

Edit : ESB are quoting me 17.65p fixed :(

It was around the 3rd or 4th week of lockdown and the oil price tanked because no one was using their cars to go anywhere. I noticed a bit of a drop in the wholesale market had filtered down to some suppliers so I jumped from bulb to ESB. I do use a lot of electric and over the last few weeks the heating has been on a lot but I am surprised the cost of the gas has not been as much as I thought it would.

Caporegime
Renewal time in Feb isn't going to be fun, can't find anything close to 12 months ago.

Same here. I've always used MSE Energy Club and weirdly despite saying savings for different suppliers they really are not.

I'm with Avro on Simple and SuperFlow tariff and the closet to it is renewing with them on Simple and SuperPremium. It'll work out to be about £60 more a year though, but I can't find anything cheaper via MSE or USwitch. Going to have to leave it longer to see if anything comes up.

Haven't had any problems with Avro though, their website was pretty terrible initially but they've since updated it and its actually useful now.

Back
Top Bottom