What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Found an offcut of rubber wood from our utility worktop and just big enough to cut out a top for the installation with an extended piece similar to a hearth - will sand and oil it before fittting it property

IMG-20201230-195946.jpg

Bit more progress on this - made up an MDF / Softwood and trim piece to fit under the bookcase and make it look more "fitted"

IMG-20210103-140557-01.jpg

Gave it a first coat

IMG-20210103-165128.jpg

Needs a sand / bit more filler and another 2 or three coats but generally happy with the way it looks

Then the IKEA doors turned up this morning so fitted them too

IMG-20210106-111927.jpg

I've got some much better handles coming so they're to fit, need to fill the gap to the left hand side / caulk and paint that then sand / oil and fit the rubber wood "lid"

Soldato
I finally got around to replacing the external vent on the cooker extractor after the previous one fell apart over Christmas. It took a bit longer than expected as it seems the previous one was held to the wall with silicone sealant - no screws. So I had to drill a few holes and in the process found that my drill bits will ricochet off of molten butter. Time to get a new set.

Soldato
Bit more progress on this - made up an MDF / Softwood and trim piece to fit under the bookcase and make it look more "fitted"

IMG-20210103-140557-01.jpg

Gave it a first coat

IMG-20210103-165128.jpg

Needs a sand / bit more filler and another 2 or three coats but generally happy with the way it looks

Then the IKEA doors turned up this morning so fitted them too

IMG-20210106-111927.jpg

I've got some much better handles coming so they're to fit, need to fill the gap to the left hand side / caulk and paint that then sand / oil and fit the rubber wood "lid"
Why have you not tied it in with the skirting board?..

Soldato
For painting tiles we used a 2 part specific tile paint for our kitchen and it has come out fine. If you need I can find the specific paint we used. Mixed and rolled on and has covered the old horrible grey with a nice clean white. It also managed to cover the very old style stencil designs in some of the tiles which we were surprised at. For a £35 tub of paint it was worth a go before replacing as we want a while new kitchen in the future anyway. That said we are more than happy with it and everyone who has seen it is surprised it’s painted.
If you could please, going to attempt it this weekend. :)

Associate
"Scrap" wood table. The top is some kind of hardwood that was rescued from a firewood pile. It was built with no real idea as to it's purpose, but it's doing a great job keeping my printer off the floor!
ACtC-3cdo7k8v-euK_-5UFbTgv3OiTSjO9PcGVpJQLNiYCn0WBHecIzRFKNxQh2byz5SMKVTMI0fmaFTs2XDZahAI67jyGA0WPzfA3nEBoK9tT0apHzgxZtQD2VvyK0G4t_IxhpNmfWXSDUi-exa6cJoSJOldA=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3cyJEjGeOoDx_sbaaNXyR8K-HWvWH4wqvq9RvOQnxOOb6inMOdr78WB0uxcppXY-MSvPihx-OLRNsK9pSexZwxfAxsJy37EidROW5k54nSnKYXGwaQhYeqVALKClOLb580zKu_q7ayF_tcdINz7H9wNkQ=w1250-h938-no

ACtC-3fAKwDW8lhoNyM33JXi026pVtR4-tJ1MNVaSqb0m7WPRTmG4COWy8BQAwMdJ-jfEzNw-zJclXWaOPQbjNwm5ZOOJmqQgIX7vqbLK9K7L8A7uhbrF-dfRaJAztYl0SDZC_Y6NtD15XyU_n9kUtcnKqagvQ=w703-h937-no

Recent ish job: Burnt wood planter out of some old deck boards. Still not 100% sold on Shou sugi ban, but I like the contrast it has with the deck and fence and the texture is pretty cool. Also my wife enjoyed burning it with the blow torch!
ACtC-3fHRVXkTTr6t37YGx4VLaZyiv8041v6KnyCwAY5vsj12TdmNAY-sjKoLsdHO31x8B0sAaz7HNwqEaI9z_EReLA8yFJlZYMX3Lh6aFP-tziPHuryoeMEsUEscuv4qNm2LjDU6KDht8BiVfvUJwicgN6iBA=w682-h937-no

Dave

Soldato
@divuk83 Neat work on the table! I'm actually planning one almost exactly like that but with drop leaves. Basically just to use up some scrap oak. Any chance of a pic of the underside? I've bought a pocket hole jig for mine :)

Associate
Thanks. The frame is just low grade Wickes pine, as yes I just pocket holed it together (Kreg R3). I'm at work at the moment so no where near it so I can't get a picture.

Dave

Soldato
How 'difficult' is it to tile a floor? Our kitchen needs its tile floor replacing, it's only 2.7sqm and I fancy having a go myself. I'm not the greatest at DIY but how hard can it really be?...

Like all these things, it seems to be in the preparation. We've got ceramic tiles down at the minute, a number of which have cracked. I take it I just chisel out the existing tiles, fill in any major holes with the tile adhesive, let that dry and then lay the new tiles on top with more adhesive. I don't think I'd need to re-screed it? It looks like once the prep has been done, it's relatively straight forward to do the tiling?

Soldato
How 'difficult' is it to tile a floor? Our kitchen needs its tile floor replacing, it's only 2.7sqm and I fancy having a go myself. I'm not the greatest at DIY but how hard can it really be?...

Like all these things, it seems to be in the preparation. We've got ceramic tiles down at the minute, a number of which have cracked. I take it I just chisel out the existing tiles, fill in any major holes with the tile adhesive, let that dry and then lay the new tiles on top with more adhesive. I don't think I'd need to re-screed it? It looks like once the prep has been done, it's relatively straight forward to do the tiling?

That is a tiny floor, as you say planning is key and it is perfectly DIYable. The hardest and most time consuming part will be removing the existing tiles and making the floor suitable to accept the new tiles. You need to prime the floor before tiling as well, take it slow use a slowest adhesive and on such a small floor you can layout most of the tiles before fixing them down to get it just right. If you go with porcelain tiles you will need a cutter that can snap them, the cheaper cutters are good for ceramics only.

You wouldn't have to screed the floor, although again in such a small space using a thin layer of self levelling compound could give you a perfectly flat surface to make the tiling that much easier if you needed to.

Back
Top Bottom