• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Article out today, UK mass suppliers reporting that AMD has missed its January shipment for Ryzen and Radeon products, the product ETA for Retailers changed from fixed date to no ETA

The supplies issues are getting bad now, this is not like AMD delivered fewer units than ordered - this is the ship never arrived and UK suppliers have been given no ETA for when more stock is coming

Not good. Can you share the article or at least where you found it? Checked out videocardz and no luck. Thanks!

Soldato
Some of this will be already known and obvious to most of you but will be of interest to some. Here are some of my findings after spending the day tinkering, gaming and benching:

* It's all about the power in terms of overclocking - increasing clocks without also increasing power gains little to no performance increase.
* increasing the minimum clock frequency to anything over 2400 Mhz increased my average clock by around 300 MHz
* increasing the max clock up to 2700 Mhz has been stable for me in both gaming and benching, often producing speeds in excess of 2600 with the maximum I've seen being 2660 Mhz.
* maxing out the RAM clock speed up to 2150 Mhz has been stable in both games and benches. Typical speed when playing Cyberpunk has been around 2115 Mhz.
* getting an average of 60 FPS at max settings in Cyberpunk apart from Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration & Lens Flare which I've turned turned off (cause they suck in my opinion) at 3440 x 1440 resolution.
* been benchmarking mostly with Firestrike Extreme but have been unable to break the 29000 mark for the graphics score thus far.
* increasing the RAM speed seemed to boost my graphics score more in Firestrike compared to increasing the core clocks.
* I haven't been able to ascertain if tweaking the voltage has had any significant impact on performance.
* I got an average bench of 105 FPS on max settings on Shadow of the Tomb Raider when overclocked (at 3440 x 1440)

What a marvellous owners club to belong too! :D

Soldato
[QUOTE="Article out today, UK mass suppliers reporting that AMD has missed its January shipment for Ryzen and Radeon products, the product ETA for Retailers changed from fixed date to no ETA

The supplies issues are getting bad now, this is not like AMD delivered fewer units than ordered - this is the ship never arrived and UK suppliers have been given no ETA for when more stock is coming[/QUOTE]

Sad if true although I did get a notification from a UK supplier today that they had some "very limited" stock in. When I went to their site they had the Nitro + and AS Rock 6800 XTs in stock and two brands of 6900 XT in stock. Obviously, they were gone when I looked again an hour or so later.

Man of Honour
OP
Just arrived.
20210107-135030.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

XM8L91W.png

Date 07/01/2021, Make AMD Reference, Biffa, Link
Date 06/01/2021, Make PowerColor Red Devil, heartburnron, Link
Date 04/01/2021, Make Sapphire Nitro+, Mister_tangerine, Link
Date 01/01/2021, Make Sapphire Nitro+, Jumper118, Link
Date 01/01/2021, Make AMD Reference, Jumper118, Link
Date 31/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, NathG79, Link
Date 30/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Nugsy88, Link
Date 27/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 26/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Abhishek Shukla, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, ch99mr, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make Sapphire Nitro+, hornytoe, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Diplodocus, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DeathStorm, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Jonnym28, Link
Date 17/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DustyMiller, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Curlyriff, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Chewie, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Too Tall, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Caporegime
Article out today, UK mass suppliers reporting that AMD has missed its January shipment for Ryzen and Radeon products, the product ETA for Retailers changed from fixed date to no ETA

The supplies issues are getting bad now, this is not like AMD delivered fewer units than ordered - this is the ship never arrived and UK suppliers have been given no ETA for when more stock is coming

So where is this "article" or will this post be about as legit as you claiming the crytek benchmark was made specifically for amd?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
@LtMatt an tips for getting the best out of this beasty? Mines a reference card.

Disclaimer - Click me!!
Follow this advice at your own risk, i accept no blame if you enter stupid values and break your GPU. You can just use Radeon Software > GPU Tuning to undervolt and optimise performance and power draw. However, if you like to tweak things further to tune your GPU for the best possible optimal performance and power draw, then read on.

Yes, tuning a RX 6000 series graphics card is much like making love to a beautiful woman.

It's important not to rush, but with a bit of patience and subtle tweaking - it can be very satisfying.

I'll explain the process I use for tuning my 6900 XT.

I have two base profiles. One is aimed for low power, silent gaming at above stock performance. The second is aimed at a providing more performance, at the expense of higher power draw, fan speed and temperature.
From my testing so far in the game I play, I've only needed the first profile. These profiles are initially defined by settings used in MorePowerTool (MPT).

MPT allows you to adjust the default core and soc voltages, along with the default total board power (referred to as power limit W in MPT) and the thermal design current (TDC). Doing this will allow you to extract more performance from the 6900 XT and reduce voltage. Here are the two MPT profiles I use, I will call the first Quiet and the second Balanced.

For both profiles i reduce the soc voltage from 1.150v to 0.912v. This saved a few watts and reduces temps, giving you more core/temp headroom. Values too much below 0.900v cause instability, so 0.912v works on my sample. YMMV, but 0.950v should be safe for everyone, including 6800 XT owners which have slightly different values.

The Quiet profile has a power limit W of 275 set in MPT, Balanced has a power limit w of 325W set in MPT.

Setting up MPT
1. Download MPT and GPU-Z.
2. Run GPU-Z and save the BIOS somewhere safe on your PC.
3. Launch MPT, click Load, load the BIOS you just saved.
4. Select the drop down box and your 6900 XT.
5. Click Power and Voltage tab.
6. Change only one of the following, Max soc voltage, Power Limit W, TDC.
7. Once you've made your desired changes, click Write SPPT.
8. Reboot.
9. Your settings are applied on next boot.
10 Click Delete SPPT in MPT to restore default values.
11. You'll also want to use HWINFO64 and Rivatuner or MSI Afterburner with Rivatuner to setup OSDs so you can monitor core clock, voltage, fan speed and temps of the GPU.

Quiet Profile
YYrrbI6.png

Balanced Profile
2WJYp64.png

Now you have chosen a base profile using MPT, we can setup some profiles in Radeon Software > GPU Tuning.

It's important to remember that we have set a power limit of 275W in MPT, default is 255W for the 6900 XT and what you see tested in reviews. So it is useless trying to overclock too much as we mainly want to under volt and stabilise clock frequency. My particular sample can maintain a core clock of 2400Mhz solid in most things with the profiles below.

I have two profiles in Radeon Software > GPU Tuning that i switch between depending on the game. If the game will utilise 250W or more power draw under extended load, then i go for Profile 1 which has a slightly higher fan speed. If the game i am playing has a power draw sub 250W under extended load then i go with profile 2 which uses even lower fan speeds. Both are silent on this cooler tbh.

Voltage in the RX 6000 series works slightly different from all other AMD GPUs I've used. Voltage now increases automatically, up to a maximum value of 1.175v, based off the Junction temperature. So, as the GPU heats up the voltage will go a notch higher. Basically, you start off with say 1.0000V, but by the time Junction reaches 100c, you may be at 1.025v. For the GPU Tuning profiles listed below, the voltage at 100c is 1.025v, down from the default 1.175v.

GPU Tuning Profile 1 - GPU Power Draw at 250W plus
2400Mhz/2100Mhz
1.025v (ignore what is set in Radeon Software it is not accurate )
XJkqlNW.png

GPU Tuning Profile 2 - GPU Power Draw Sub 250W or lower
2400Mhz/2000Mhz
1.025v (ignore what is set in Radeon Software it is not accurate )
RhOKJBo.png

Now, imagine the same profiles above but for 325W set in MPT. Basically add another 10-15% fan speed for each profile.

You will notice i don't touch the power limit slider, no need to if you set things up correctly in MPT. You can define the exact Watts you want your GPU using in MPT and i now prefer to use this than to touch the slider and calculate the increase of 15% of the value you set in MPT.

Here's a screenshot from GPU Tuning Profile 1 in game, showing the OSD i mentioned earlier using HWINFO64 and Rivatuner.
c01wvgF.jpg

Hope this helps, should at least get you started into designing your own profiles based on your use case. :)

Last edited:
Associate
1st time posting.
Got one here.
Still playing with the OC and awaiting waterblock to come to unlock its full potential.
Here's the settings hoping to get above 20k in Timespy eventually. This OC is stable on cold war not really tried much else.
Edited hopefully will work now.
Had a nightmare from another site selling the rx 6900xt.
Purchased red devil le 6900xt.
They send me an unboxed reference model????
LOL long story short managed to snag this at lower than msrp.
Edit made a right mess of this what a noob EeD2qhQ.jpg Rjw1oEt.png
t5fM0wn.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
d6V8Pvr
7V2d7yD
c60cM6x
1st time posting.
Got one here.
Still playing with the OC and awaiting waterblock to come to unlock its full potential.
Here's the settings hoping to get above 20k in Timespy eventually. This OC is stable on cold war not really tried much else.
Also interested in what other peoples OC's are. With just rage enabled I get 18945 on gpu score timespy.
Welcome, your image is broken. :)

See my post above for details on my overclock.

Man of Honour
OP
Arrived this morning

Whats-App-Image-2021-01-10-at-17-09-19.jpg
Have had 6900XT for about 1 week, very pleased with the performance, upgraded from 2080ti. Still waiting my Bykski block, so i can start building full custom loop, have all the other parts waiting at shelf.

View attachment A5N3QcS.jpg
View attachment fETJfmf.jpg
View attachment MFEFdpY.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

XM8L91W.png

Date 10/01/2021, Make AMD Reference, Breezer, Link
Date 10/01/2021, Make XFX Merc 319, ronski, Link
Date 07/01/2021, Make AMD Reference, Biffa, Link
Date 06/01/2021, Make PowerColor Red Devil, heartburnron, Link
Date 04/01/2021, Make Sapphire Nitro+, Mister_tangerine, Link
Date 01/01/2021, Make Sapphire Nitro+, Jumper118, Link
Date 01/01/2021, Make AMD Reference, Jumper118, Link
Date 31/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, NathG79, Link
Date 30/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Nugsy88, Link
Date 27/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 26/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Abhishek Shukla, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, ch99mr, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make Sapphire Nitro+, hornytoe, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Diplodocus, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DeathStorm, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Jonnym28, Link
Date 17/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DustyMiller, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Curlyriff, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Chewie, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Too Tall, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Associate
@LtMatt

What will a 6900XT Reference actually pull once MPT has been adjusted on your balanced profile. TDC GFX limit is shown set at 375W.

Is this a safe level?

What has AMD set the max power draw to be, is it 300W + the PCI-E socket?. (75W)

Last edited:
Caporegime
@LtMatt

What will a 6900XT Reference actually pull once MPT has been adjusted on your balanced profile. TDC GFX limit is shown set at 375W.

Is this a safe level?

What has AMD set the max power draw to be, is it 300W + the PCI-E socket?. (Which is what?)
The default values for the 6900 XT in MPT are 255W (TBP) and 320A TDC, that's before you take into account the Power Limit adding +15% to those values. This is a safe value.

Back
Top Bottom