• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More Pain for Gamers :-(

Associate
that sounds like an expensive outlay - $2000 for a 3090 now. 3080 apparently has much better return due to lower power requirement and lower capital cost.

i think the 3080 is around $6/day profit after running cost. that rig with 78x3080 looks like it will pay back the capital investment in 6months time assuming crypto stays as the same price as of 4th Jan.

the problem is who know what crypto will be like in 6months time, could be all time high or all time low. big big gamble
I've made $100 this week from three GA104s. Not a gamble because even after two years I'll still have the Graphics cards to sell on because they will still be desirable. https://ethermine.org/miners/9a46121a113DbBc8741AcE454c837dF791E10cb2/dashboard

Soldato
I've made $100 this week from three GA104s. Not a gamble because even after two years I'll still have the Graphics cards to sell on because they will still be desirable.
do you sell your crypto soon as you hash them or store them and sell at a given time all together?

78 lots 3080 OC model is a bit of a gamble tho!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
that sounds like an expensive outlay - $2000 for a 3090 now.

Was bought for gaming, dev work. Have always mined on my cards if profitable, which means some years not so much, but overnight or when your working its nice pocket money! The FE was £1399 which equates to your dollar region of 1875. It replaced my Vega which has more than twice the computing power for same wattage. 3080's are great if you can obtain them (pretty much hardest cards to source ever).

Its only an expensive outlay if you purchased cards to make you money by mining. In comparison a 3090 is akin to having 5x 1060's in a rig, so which would you rather have - a dedicated mining machine with celeron etc and 5x cards eating up more electric, or one 3090/3080 (which can be used for gaming when you want to)?

Associate
do you sell your crypto soon as you hash them or store them and sell at a given time all together?

78 lots 3080 OC model is a bit of a gamble tho!
I sell them if they are higher than the previous week. It's pretty much gone up every week since I started two months ago. I'll save them if it's less than the previous week. $400 per ETH was profitable so $1000 now is crazy money.

Associate
I sell them if they are higher than the previous week. It's pretty much gone up every week since I started two months ago. I'll save them if it's less than the previous week. $400 per ETH was profitable so $1000 now is crazy money.

what mining software? and how long do you have to actually mine for to make any gains?

Soldato
I'm not aware of any companies running a queue and selling stock meant for people in queue to new customers, did you just make that up?

There's people in queues all over the place and have been since launch, while people are snapping up cards from alerts and have been for months. It doesn't take a genius to work it out...

;)

Soldato
Was bought for gaming, dev work. Have always mined on my cards if profitable, which means some years not so much, but overnight or when your working its nice pocket money! The FE was £1399 which equates to your dollar region of 1875. It replaced my Vega which has more than twice the computing power for same wattage. 3080's are great if you can obtain them (pretty much hardest cards to source ever).

Its only an expensive outlay if you purchased cards to make you money by mining. In comparison a 3090 is akin to having 5x 1060's in a rig, so which would you rather have - a dedicated mining machine with celeron etc and 5x cards eating up more electric, or one 3090/3080 (which can be used for gaming when you want to)?
I think that’s a fair point. I am now working exclusively from home. So while the PC is on GPU is on albeit not drawing the amount of power it would otherwise be drawing say during games. But all that system power is basically the wastage as far as mining concerned.

so if I do end up mining then wattage goes up so if it can neutralise the total electricity bill then that’s a bonus itself already. Anything over and above is just profit.

Associate
I've got my 5700XT running at 52.4MH
Phoenix Miner. All GPUs run 24/7 except my 3070 when I play games for an hour or two in the evening. Heats my little office nicely too.

Same here although I'm running my 5700XT - 52.4 MH/s at 90W, will had paid for itself in about 3 months I reckon.

Soldato
I've got my 5700XT running at 52.4MH

Same here although I'm running my 5700XT - 52.4 MH/s at 90W, will had paid for itself in about 3 months I reckon.

Yes, before the 30 series was out they were the best £/w in fact may still be the best. A rig of them would be decent money earner in times like this. Even better if you picked them up for the lows of £300 a few months ago.

You dont buy cards to mine in the peak of the boom lol, you have to lap them up in the crashes where people are throwing them away as no one wants them. People are so silly in the times of the rushes.

Soldato
I think that’s a fair point. I am now working exclusively from home...so if I do end up mining then wattage goes up so if it can neutralise the total electricity bill then that’s a bonus itself already. Anything over and above is just profit.

I been mining when the CPU's were the only choice back in early days before GPU's kicked in. Before that I was on the BOINC/SETI stuff on science projects when I didnt use my machines. Mining was a no brainer as you actually got paid for the crunching. It took a long long time before the gaming nerds realised the GPUs were actually perfect for mining! ;)

Associate
Had no idea "older" graphics cards where still commanding a premium, just assumed my 5700xt would now be worth probs £200? Looking on ebay they seem to be £400+ for AE edition i have! wtf :O thats basically more then i paid for it when it launched nearly 2 years ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom