RJ45 connector

Associate
Hey all, quick question on RJ45 and cat6 cable (Yes I know cat6 is overkill for home but I didn't have to buy it and it was the only one available :D).

I know the RJ45 connector is the same size but I have seen that on some, the ends are staggered rather than in a line. Can I use a RJ45 connector that makes the ends of the cat6 cable flat in the connector instead of them being staggered high then low etc (if that makes sense, not sure how to explain properly).

If I can, I assume that the actual speed will still operate at it's maximum capacity? 1Gb is all that is needed.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Usually the staggered arrangement is to accommodate slightly larger cores of Cat6 cable. If you have plugs that are a flat arrangement and the cable you have fits in, then it will be fine.

Edit: In theory you're meant to use connectors designed for solid core cable if you're crimping plugs onto solid core cable, but if you already have the bits then you may as well try them.

Associate
OP
Usually the staggered arrangement is to accommodate slightly larger cores of Cat6 cable. If you have plugs that are a flat arrangement and the cable you have fits in, then it will be fine.

Edit: In theory you're meant to use connectors designed for solid core cable if you're crimping plugs onto solid core cable, but if you already have the bits then you may as well try them.

Thanks. I'll see if the ones I have work first and if not, I'll get some designed for cat6.

Soldato
Possibly but I wouldn't do it. CAT6 is backwards compatible with 5e so it might work (at slower speeds) but i'd recommend using CAT6 rated as the wires are thicker.

Is your cable solid or stranded?

Associate
OP
Possibly but I wouldn't do it. CAT6 is backwards compatible with 5e so it might work (at slower speeds) but i'd recommend using CAT6 rated as the wires are thicker.

Is your cable solid or stranded?

Looking at it, it looks to be solid core. I'll get some cat6 rated RJ45 connectors.

Back
Top Bottom