Do you run an AdBlocker?

Soldato
I do run one, but only because of the sites that make ads the main content.

I actually don't mind targeted ads, for example when I was looking at PlaySeats for my PSVR set up a football forum I use kept showing ads for the seat at the top of the page, when it hit a certain price in a sale I pulled the trigger

It actually did me a service by effectively price checking for me on a regular basis while I went about my normal internet browsing.

Soldato
I run adblock because it would be very very easy to make ads clean and unobtrusive, even interesting. But they don't. They just dump them on as fast and carefree as possible.

So get stuffed. PiHole for home, uBlock on every browser.

Soldato
I run uBlock origin.

Used to run one on my Android but rooting is not available for the my model at present.

If you don't mind switching to Firefox for Android, you can install and run uBlock Origin (and almost all of the other add-ons that Rainmaker suggested above) on it without any issues. The mobile web is just as filled with junk and uBlock Origin works just as well. :)

Soldato
If you don't mind switching to Firefox for Android, you can install and run uBlock Origin (and almost all of the other add-ons that Rainmaker suggested above) on it without any issues. The mobile web is just as filled with junk and uBlock Origin works just as well. :)

Cheers, I've got the Firefox one running. It's just the endless amounts of ads in every other app I have to endure!

Soldato
Can you imagine if TV channels disabled your remote while adverts were playing or made you press a button to confirm you had watched them?

Ever tried watching All4 via a TV? 3 minutes of unskippable sdverts at the start of a program, 3 minutes of unskippable adverts every ten or so minutes and if you dare to rewind a show a second or two to catch something you may have just missed or fast-forward to a to where you left off last time (resume doesn't work for some reason) you get another 3:30 of unskippable adverts. It's ******* horrendous.

Soldato
Ever tried watching All4 via a TV? 3 minutes of unskippable sdverts at the start of a program, 3 minutes of unskippable adverts every ten or so minutes and if you dare to rewind a show a second or two to catch something you may have just missed or fast-forward to a to where you left off last time (resume doesn't work for some reason) you get another 3:30 of unskippable adverts. It's ******* horrendous.

I just read they're bringing out an ad free subscription option at (iirc) £3.99 a month. Yeah... no. There's nothing worth that on there that I can recall lol.

Soldato
OP
Google Chrome browser privacy plan investigated in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55219750

Google's plan to replace web browser cookies with a system that shares less data with advertisers is being investigated in the UK.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said Google's plan could have a "significant impact" on news websites and the digital advertising market.

It had already raised concerns that publishers' profits could sink if they were unable to run personalised ads.

But Google said digital advertising practices had to "evolve".

Should make browsing faster...

Soldato
Adblock plus here. All thanks to Youtube and its repetitive, over the top advertising. Every time I access it from another device (e.g. streaming to my TV), I die a little inside and am reminded why I installed it.

30 second unskippable adverts on 2 minute videos.
2 minute long adverts (sure you can skip them after 5 sec, but need to fumble around for the remote to do so).
The same adverts over. and over. and over. and over. (and so on)

The little static ones at the bottom of the video I could deal with, but I'm not spending 25% of my time watching the same 4 adverts!

Soldato
ITV hub is like that, it's utter ****e, even to the point that if you go to another tab it will pause the ad until you come back so you HAVE to let them run. needless to say, one attempt at that and i'll never go back to the site again.

Associate
Pihole is actually quite good act blocking these. All4 / ITV Hub will try hard to load them for a few seconds and then give up and continue to program

Soldato
i've got adblock plus, ublock origin and maybe another on firefox - considering how invasive adverts have become i have no guilt what so ever.

You shouldn't run more than one, they interfere with each other. The developer of uBO posts this constantly (see their subreddit for example). ABP uses way more resources than uBO too. Just uninstall all the others and you'll be good to go.

Man of Honour
I use Ublock Origin with no exceptions. Last year if I remember right, there was a problem with Firefox not being able to use add-ons for a reason I can't remember now and without a ad blocker the internet was a horrendous experience and just about unuseable. I will never be without one.

Soldato
I run uBlock origin in medium mode by blocking all 3rd party scripts and frames by default, I essentially have to enable them for each site I want when things don't work correctly. Sounds like a faff but you build up an allowed list pretty quickly.

I have zero remorse or guilt for doing this. The number of connected 3rd party domains connected on sites is frankly ludicrous.

This is the main reason I use Firefox on Andoid too.

Back
Top Bottom