BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
So I drove my car today for the first time since it was serviced at a new garage. There was a noticeable rattle coming from the engine bay that turned out to be the engine cover. I have pushed it back into place and the rattle has gone but while sorting that I've noticed some of the ducting on the side of the engine has been screwed together.

RBu71xyl.jpg

It appears the plastic tab has probably snapped and they've just stuck a screw in to hold it together. I'm going to call the garage on Monday and question it as I understand the plastics become brittle and will eventually snap but I'd have liked to at least been informed something had happened.

Is this likely to cause me any major issues in the mean time or is it something I should get fixed ASAP?

Soldato
F10/F11 owners - has anyone had the issue on their car where the front door lock pins are slow going up and down and ever so often they don't move down enough/up enough to lock the door? My mum has a 2013 520d and she's had the issue for about 12 months now and wants to get it fixed. I think it's mostly the passenger door, but the driver's door looks as though it's going the same way. The ones on the back doors shoot up and down with some gusto, but the front ones seem a bit... lame.

I've had a Google, but mostly seems to be people in America complaining about the closing latch mechanism rather than the locking mechanism.

Am I right in thinking it's likely to be the door lock actuator?

Man of Honour
Actually yes! I keep forgetting about it because it only happens occasionally but my passenger door is doing the same thing. Locking and unlocking the car seems to 'fix' it for a bit.

Soldato
I found the same on my 2013 320d (F30). Seems common and happens about once a month, but occasionally I have to lock & unlock the car again. Mine's done it every since I got my car in late 2013 and 140k miles also I wouldn't worry about it much, I don't think it'll develop further beyond a minor annoyance.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Am looking at F80 M3's and my only experience of the M3/M4 is driving a first year M4 some years ago and finding it pretty harsh and very spikey in its power delivery.
I have read the later years had a few revisions which improved power delivery and improved suspension.

Anyone with experience or an owner how does the F80 M3 Competition Pack ride and put power down, also are all Competition cars the updated LCI models and is there any difference between 2016-2018 Competition Pack M3's? Also has anyone owned an M3 Comp and an M3 CS as the CS is on my radar too as it looks amazing.

As my only experience is driving an early M4 and not enjoying it and then a passenger ride in an M4 CS which I cannot really remember, could do with a little help on the F80 M3 series and model year revisions please.

Associate
I had a F80 M3 as a loaner whilst my F10 M5 was being repaired.
It's definitely a far cry from the M5's comfort. It's a sharp, and harsh ride.

If what you're looking for is a replacement for the M5, getting an M3 will do this to you. You will lack the comfort. If you want similar level of coziness in a sports saloon, replace it with the newer model, or go for Alpina B5, or Merc E63.

OcUK Staff
I had a F80 M3 as a loaner whilst my F10 M5 was being repaired.
It's definitely a far cry from the M5's comfort. It's a sharp, and harsh ride.

If what you're looking for is a replacement for the M5, getting an M3 will do this to you. You will lack the comfort. If you want similar level of coziness in a sports saloon, replace it with the newer model, or go for Alpina B5, or Merc E63.

Thank you, also yesterday I commented on how M5 has being a good car so far today, today it started pinking at high revs and then through an engine light, thankfully I was on the way to a garage for have new brakes fitted to it. Looks like fuelling issue, lack of at high rpm. They reckon its either fuel pump or something to do with how the fuel tank is empty on one side but say its pretty common on BMW's and confident they can repair it, they confirmed the engine is fine.

Soldato
Hi there

Am looking at F80 M3's and my only experience of the M3/M4 is driving a first year M4 some years ago and finding it pretty harsh and very spikey in its power delivery.
I have read the later years had a few revisions which improved power delivery and improved suspension.

Anyone with experience or an owner how does the F80 M3 Competition Pack ride and put power down, also are all Competition cars the updated LCI models and is there any difference between 2016-2018 Competition Pack M3's? Also has anyone owned an M3 Comp and an M3 CS as the CS is on my radar too as it looks amazing.

As my only experience is driving an early M4 and not enjoying it and then a passenger ride in an M4 CS which I cannot really remember, could do with a little help on the F80 M3 series and model year revisions please.

Mine's a latish 2015 non comp pack, and I'm not sure whether this has some the revisions or not to be honest. It's certainly a firm ride, but I wouldn't call it harsh, and generally speaking it's a pretty comfortable car. M4 has different (stiffer) rear springs compared to the M3 - I only know this anecdotally, not through personal knowledge, which maybe results in a more compliant ride for the M3 vs M4. Throttle response can be pretty savage in Sport+, but in Efficient/Sport it's pretty easy to modulate.

The comp pack (and CS) has different seats with deeper side bolsters, and I've had a quick sit in them and they are certainly comfy, but I would say no more nor less than mine.

I believe the comp pack suspension is only a software revision and the hardware is identical. It also has marginly more power and a revised exhaust, as well as the bigger 20" wheels - they're a bit marmite.

I've heard that the CS has some small but fairly significant interior changes, but having only spent 5 minutes looking at one I'm not 100% on it. I do, however, believe that these changes would make it less suitable as a daily...the centre armrest is gone, and the door card armrests are much shallower and also quite "slopey", making it difficult to rest your arm there.

OcUK Staff
Mine's a latish 2015 non comp pack, and I'm not sure whether this has some the revisions or not to be honest. It's certainly a firm ride, but I wouldn't call it harsh, and generally speaking it's a pretty comfortable car. M4 has different (stiffer) rear springs compared to the M3 - I only know this anecdotally, not through personal knowledge, which maybe results in a more compliant ride for the M3 vs M4. Throttle response can be pretty savage in Sport+, but in Efficient/Sport it's pretty easy to modulate.

The comp pack (and CS) has different seats with deeper side bolsters, and I've had a quick sit in them and they are certainly comfy, but I would say no more nor less than mine.

I believe the comp pack suspension is only a software revision and the hardware is identical. It also has marginly more power and a revised exhaust, as well as the bigger 20" wheels - they're a bit marmite.

I've heard that the CS has some small but fairly significant interior changes, but having only spent 5 minutes looking at one I'm not 100% on it. I do, however, believe that these changes would make it less suitable as a daily...the centre armrest is gone, and the door card armrests are much shallower and also quite "slopey", making it difficult to rest your arm there.

Thank you mate, cannot remember if you took me out or not in yours. If I go M3 I definitely want a CP or CS, I know all CS will be same as I think all 2017 cars, but the internet seems to suggest the 2018 CP cars may have had further revisions but it does not seem to be really confirmed anywhere, I do particular like the CP's in the lovely green they did some in and if a CS it has to be the metallic blue, think its San Marino.

Still undecided on what I will go for, CP, CS, RS4, RS6 or Alfa, will drive them all in coming months, I suspect the M5 is gonna cost me a grand or two to fix all the niggles, enjoy it for a few more months whilst eying up its replacements. M3 is my favourite looks wise, Alfa favourite noise and potential drive and ride quality, RS4 fav for that engine and RS6 for the toys and big power. But the two latter do I need another AWD when I've got a Yaris GR.

Soldato
Thank you mate, cannot remember if you took me out or not in yours. If I go M3 I definitely want a CP or CS, I know all CS will be same as I think all 2017 cars, but the internet seems to suggest the 2018 CP cars may have had further revisions but it does not seem to be really confirmed anywhere, I do particular like the CP's in the lovely green they did some in and if a CS it has to be the metallic blue, think its San Marino.

Still undecided on what I will go for, CP, CS, RS4, RS6 or Alfa, will drive them all in coming months, I suspect the M5 is gonna cost me a grand or two to fix all the niggles, enjoy it for a few more months whilst eying up its replacements. M3 is my favourite looks wise, Alfa favourite noise and potential drive and ride quality, RS4 fav for that engine and RS6 for the toys and big power. But the two latter do I need another AWD when I've got a Yaris GR.
No, you never went out in mine...maybe we can do it when all this COVID stuff is done if you're not sorted by then!

I think the CS colour was a unique matt finish only available on that car (and M4 CS), but maybe it could be ordered in other colours too.

BMW have got a ton of nice blues to choose from though: https://discover.bmw.co.uk/iframes/individual-visualiser

Mine's Tanzanite Blue (with Opal White interior), which is a dark blue that pops hugely in the sun.
M3_pop.jpg

(not sure if that image works...inserting images doesn't seem to work for me anymore)

San Marino blue is a dark purply blue.

F80 M3 noise is a bit marmite...Alfa certainly sounds better (and ofc has more power).

Associate
@Gibbo if you haven't already, check out the E63's.
I had a C63 before the M5 and the sound is just pure lush.

I'm gonna sell the M5 in spring. It's over 6 years old and starting to annoy me (esp. the BMW reps who don't honour parts warranties - fitted a new battery last year and it's already dead).

I'm going for a Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered. I know it's a step down from a performance perspective, but it's no slouch, I like the looks, and I'm expecting less issues than I had on the Merc and Bimmer (fingers crossed).

Associate
I’ve got 2018 comp m3. The lci which cam in around 2016 2017 I think introduced changes to lights etc and I’m sure more. I drive mine daily and it’s great. I did have a 2015 m3 and the power delivery was spiked on that. The 2018 is less spikes

Back
Top Bottom