What game did you play last?

Associate
My girlfriend has came to stay during lockdown so plenty of time for boardgames!

Lately Lost Cities has become the mainstay, it's such a fun and quick game to play (rounds between 5-10 mins, 3 rounds per game), and momentum can be completely different between games that a large loss in the first round can be recovered. Really recommend it if you're looking for a quick setup/teardown card game with plenty of strategy.
I feel the decisions you make are in a similar fashion to Jaipur where in Jaipur you're trying to see what your opponent is collecting and when you should cash in cards, in Lost Cities you're deciding if you should start a column of cards (which comes with an initial cost) or has your opponent been collecting those cards, and
if you should add multipliers to that column if you think you can go huge on your score. Really really good.

Also often bring Patchwork to the table as my girlfriend loves it, maybe because she consistently beats me at it.

Currently awaiting delivery for:
Wingspan - Had to buy it after all the reviews I've seen
Watergate - Often see this being touted as one of the most fun 2 player games.
Patchwork (Christmas edition) - Girlfriend loves Patchwork so think she'll enjoy this retheme, tis the season and all that.
Paris - La Cite de La Lumiere - Similar game to Patchwork where you're placing tiles, it looks there is a bit more engaging with your opponent and directly effecting them.

Man of Honour
Did a digital board game last week over Zoom with some of the group. Actually had to get around to getting a webcam. Was nice to see them, albeit virtually. Had an evening of Codenames and Concept. Now, I'm familiar with both (reviews and such online), but never played them.

Codenames is quite similar to Decrypto, except you have a single person giving the clues instead of everyone on your team taking turns. Quite enjoyable.
Concept is a board game version of charades. It's really good fun as everyone takes a turn and trying to work out how someone's brain works is always fun. People have trouble with my brain... :D

Also picked up a few free games (prototype copies so a bit handmade in places) from a member of the group who reviews games. Ski Tour, With a Smile and a Gun and Overstocked. All look fun.

Soldato
Bought Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion and whilst only having some the first scenario it seems really good.

Had a family game night at the weeks and as always played Mmmmm, Takenoko, Deep Sea Adventure and Camel Up.

Takenoko and Deep Sea are perhaps two of the best additions we've made in ages. Kids adore them both.

Associate
I don't have it, I've heard it's good but was looking to see what you thought. I have the collectors of the base game so I'd have to go that route for the expansion too so I keep putting it on the back burner :p

Man of Honour
Online gaming evening just ended. Haiclue and Welcome to... played tonight.

Haiclue is interesting, irritating as hell. Helps if you know how the other people you play with brains work...

Welcome to... is wonderful. Roll and write where the roll has been replace with cards. It's a simple idea, but it gets tricky very quickly.

Soldato
Welcome to... is wonderful. Roll and write where the roll has been replace with cards. It's a simple idea, but it gets tricky very quickly.

I see there's an unlimited amount of players for this. Is it a game you would actually recommend? I'm looking for things to add to my, currently rather empty, Christmas wish list...

(Happy to take other recommendations. I don't like 'random' games, where you're reliant on the roll of a dice, although I wouldn't rule these out, I like Catan for example)

Man of Honour
I see there's an unlimited amount of players for this. Is it a game you would actually recommend? I'm looking for things to add to my, currently rather empty, Christmas wish list...

(Happy to take other recommendations. I don't like 'random' games, where you're reliant on the roll of a dice, although I wouldn't rule these out, I like Catan for example)

I really like it. Getting a copy for Christmas. The cards are a random element, but everyone has the same 3 sets to choose from. It's all down to where you position them on your board.

The SU&SD review is a good one.

Along the same sort of lines, Welcome to Dino World by Alley Cat Games. Comes with 2 levels of play. Lite and Danger modes. 3 dice get rolled and everyone uses those numbers to build their park. Deluxe version comes with a solo mode too iirc.

img

img

Associate
My girlfriend has came to stay during lockdown so plenty of time for boardgames!

Lately Lost Cities has become the mainstay, it's such a fun and quick game to play (rounds between 5-10 mins, 3 rounds per game), and momentum can be completely different between games that a large loss in the first round can be recovered. Really recommend it if you're looking for a quick setup/teardown card game with plenty of strategy.
I feel the decisions you make are in a similar fashion to Jaipur where in Jaipur you're trying to see what your opponent is collecting and when you should cash in cards, in Lost Cities you're deciding if you should start a column of cards (which comes with an initial cost) or has your opponent been collecting those cards, and
if you should add multipliers to that column if you think you can go huge on your score. Really really good.

Also often bring Patchwork to the table as my girlfriend loves it, maybe because she consistently beats me at it.

Currently awaiting delivery for:
Wingspan - Had to buy it after all the reviews I've seen
Watergate - Often see this being touted as one of the most fun 2 player games.
Patchwork (Christmas edition) - Girlfriend loves Patchwork so think she'll enjoy this retheme, tis the season and all that.
Paris - La Cite de La Lumiere - Similar game to Patchwork where you're placing tiles, it looks there is a bit more engaging with your opponent and directly effecting them.

Bought patchwork for Christmas after reading your post and really good, have you played Paris yet?

Soldato
Have been playing Jaipur and Hive over Christmas. Both great 2 player games, with Jaipur being a card collecting then swap for tokens worth different points, and Hive being a strategic game similar to chess, but a lot quicker and easier to play, and no set board to play the pieces on to. Can get very tactical. Great fun.
Have also got Undaunted Normandy which looks like a fantastic WW2 2 player game, looking forward to that when my brother can come round to play it.

Associate
I really like it. Getting a copy for Christmas. The cards are a random element, but everyone has the same 3 sets to choose from. It's all down to where you position them on your board.

Got my wife it for xmas, played about 5 games so far, really fun filler game - we are looking into Railroad Ink now

Man of Honour
Got my wife it for xmas, played about 5 games so far, really fun filler game - we are looking into Railroad Ink now

It's a simple game that requires a bit of planning. Still enjoy the digital version. Didn't end up getting it... I bought it, it got taken away and I as told I'd get it for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's in Norfolk and I wasn't. :(

Railroad Ink looks really good too. Got the collection coming from Kickstarter at some point this year. Includes Red, Blue, Green and Yellow and all sorts of extras in a single big box.

Take a look at Welcome to Dino World too. We really like that one. I made dry erase sheets for it. Also took it to nearly full A4. Just made it easier to draw on.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been playing Hogwarts battle with the Monsters expansion pack with the wife and kids. We found Game 7 on the original game fairly easy (may have just been lucky with the cards) but the expansion definitely makes it more challenging. Still enjoy playing it though.

Soldato
Going back a few years now, and pre-lockdown, as some of my friends have got young families now, but we were playing Catan, Dark Heresy, and Only War. I still have my character sheets somewhere for the Warhammer games.

Associate
Played a little Forgotten Waters, Unfair & Canvas when my parents visited. I started to learn & play Folklore the Affliction, but I need to sort out all the components for better use of the table space before I continue.

Soldato
Haven't been able to play much lately, but I played Nidavellir on Sunday (decent lightweight tableau builder) and for the last few weeks I've been playtesting the Madrid version of On The Underground.

Back
Top Bottom