Things that ruined your childhood

Man of Honour
OP
Mr Noseybonk from Jigsaw!

noseybonk.gif
That is most unsettling!

Man of Honour
Yes, the Dwarf in that put me right off dwarfs for years and years. I became dwarfist overnight as a result of The Singing Ringing Tree as a 6 year old kid. The actual program and story itself though is an absolute delight and I see it as a massive nostalgia trip now when I rewatched it on Amazon Prime the other month. The massive goldfish does however still creep me out a bit

The fish also scared me

Permabanned
I remember being maybe 6 and the Twilight zone movie was on at the weekend and I begged my mum to let me stay up and watch it
As soon as the blue face guy came on screen I ran away and went to bed.

Permabanned
One summer holiday in Ireland, Donegal/Brinalack, I was alone with my mum and had just eaten a banana infront of the turf fire, I threw the skin into the fire and it started to squeal!
My mum said that the banana skin was in pain and crying. So I ended of crying to my mum to save the banana skin.

Soldato
Watership Down and The Snowman for me... And being shown JFKs assassination on TV at school during a geography lesson seemed a bit unnecessary!

Associate
the 70's again. that decade has a lot of trauma to account for! Anyway, there was some anti Rabies advert that was shot like a horror movie. It had dogs chewing on pensioners, real footage of rabid dogs spazzing out. Absolutely terrified me.

Oh, and flares.

Soldato
The posters advertising the re-release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre freaked me the hell out when I was ten or so. I remember C4 broadcasting it a year or so later and deliberately detuning all the TVs in the house so I couldn’t turn it on by accident! Part of me thinks I should watch it now to get over it but nah...

Associate
Cor blimey this thread has rekindled some memories :eek: - uh thanks :D

The Wizard of Oz (1939) was it the munchkins?
Anything to do with Charlie and his Chocolate Factory

I'm not saying this wrecked my childhood but it was the start of a change in atmosphere, contributed to some creepiness.

I remember walking to School and some guy in his truck pulled over to offer me a toy, was a cap gun. I had to climb up into the cab to get it - I declined. I later told my Mum and she had a meltdown. I was 5 at the time.

Don't forget it was normal to walk to School and kids played out on the streets, disappear in woods, fields. Nowadays its so different for obvious reasons as above. :(

Soldato
When Lucy Robinson fell down a drain in Neighbours. I think the episode ended with her stuck down there as a cliffhanger. I thought about it a lot....what it would be like and it quite upset me! Lol

The monster munch adverts. The ones with the big creepy fluffy monster suits. Yeah.

Trapdoor.

RoboCop...watched it when I was way too young. Its actually quite brutal the scene where they shoot him many, many times!

Soldato
The episode from Tales of the unexpected with the man in a raincoat.
The green face at the end of Star Trek
Nationwide's report on a haunted house (the shadowy figure at the top of the stairs part scared me so much I wet myself rather than go upstairs to the toilet).
The Crow Man in Worzel Bummage
The queen video for Bohemian Rhapsody with the faces on TOTP.

Back
Top Bottom