What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Noctural Animals 2016 (on Netflix).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4550098/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I'm sure it was mentioned on here recently, but I can't find the reference now.

Amy Adams is fantastic, in fact It think she is good in most roles she's played. No doubt if this were 90s she be one of the huge female leads up for awards. the 90s lacked strong younger female leads and it was left to the likes of Susan Surandon and Meryl Streep that were bossing it back then. Diaz, Bullock, Ryan, and to a lesser extent Roberts were mostly making fluff.

Nocturnal Animals is a revenge, psychological thriller. Its dark, but no particularly twisted, nor is it something where you'll see a the plot being turned inside out. Its straightforward storytelling. Slow by Hollywood standards, and leaves a lot for the viewer to fill in themselves. That may frustrate some who feel it doesn't amount to much, but provided a good evening of viewing for me.

It's worth its 7.5/10 rating in my eyes, but could see some people lowering that 6.5 if they were expecting more forthright and outgoing story telling.

P.S - It seems Adams is also going to star in another dark drama based on A.J Finn's Woman in the Window. I've read the book, hopefully the movie does it justice.

Can’t see this on Netflix :( is it on non-UK?

Man of Honour
Pinocchio (Disney 1940) - This is such an odd film. It's all over the place, jumping from charming to dark and disturbing. I can't honestly say there there is much to enjoy. The premise is just a bit creepy to begin with. The whimsical stuff is drawn out, slow and 'happy clappy' (like Snow White). The dark is too dark. Yes it's a tale of morality but I never really feel like Pinocchio deserved any of the **** that happens to him. He's basically taken advantage of and led astray. It's like the child catcher bits in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... something unsettling in theme, delivery and imagery.

Even the less well remembered bits are savage. I mean just look at this... ****ing hell.

EbdGURf.jpg

The best bit of the film is obviously Jimmy Cricket, who is welcome throughout. But he never really gets to act as a conscience. The set up is there but then it’s just a completely miserable and unfortunate sequence of out of control events.

Watchable for its weirdness but there's way more fun to be had elsewhere.

6/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Molly's Game
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4209788/

The true story of Olympic hopeful Molly Bloom and her rise to running the world's highest stakes poker game before attracting the attention of the FBI.

You know it's going to be good when it's written (for the screen) by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing, Newsroom, Studio 60...), and this doesn't disappoint. It's a good story well told. It's a long film that runs in the same kind of style as Wolf of Wall Street or Catch me if you can, but doesn't get dull.
Jessica Chastain is great. Kevin Costner, is well Kevin Costner, but Idris Elba steals the show.

I believe it deserves a little more than it's 7.5 imdb rating. Perhaps a little more detail and depth especially in some of the relationships and it could have been a solid 8.

P.S since I've exhausted all my favourite TV shows, I'm going to catching up on a fair few movies. I'll try not write about each one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got myself all new AV setup before Christmas, 4K TV, dolby atmos receiver and 4K UHD player. But, I couldn't get any UHD discs delivered before Christmas. And Since then with Lockdown and everything, there has been a very limited selection available. But, I got a finally got some and started watching this week.

The first 3 movies up were, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Everyone knows these movies. And the UHD versions don't magically improve the story or the acting. But, They are a brilliant visual and audio feast with the 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos. It's how these movies were meant to be watched and I really enjoyed them this time around.

7/10 for the first and third movie. 6 out of 10 for the Second one.

The Dark of the Moon, in particular, looked amazing.

Back
Top Bottom