New Thermostat and where to buy it?

Associate
The thermostat on my Mini Cooper S (R56) has died, leaking coolant and it seems like its stuck open to keep the engine cool, which means no heating inside the car :mad:. I'm just going to buy the part and fit it myself but I have no idea about the brands on offer, can anyone recommend anything?

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-brands/spare-parts-mini/mini-r56/33054/10195/thermostat.html

Also if there are any other websites you know of for parts that I can check please let me know. I checked ECP/Carparts4less first but they've got nothing.

Cheers

Soldato
I'd rather not buy some chinese garbage...

Many of the aftermarket parts on the website you linked to will be made in China, as will the budget offerings from ECP etc. I've not had much luck with aftermarket thermostats, even when they don't leak externally I've had them leak internally causing the engine to run cold in winter. Unless the genuine OE part is ludicrously expensive, then buy one. You don't really want to be doing the job twice in the bloody freezing weather.

Associate
OP
Many of the aftermarket parts on the website you linked to will be made in China, as will the budget offerings from ECP etc. I've not had much luck with aftermarket thermostats, even when they don't leak externally I've had them leak internally causing the engine to run cold in winter. Unless the genuine OE part is ludicrously expensive, then buy one. You don't really want to be doing the job twice in the bloody freezing weather.

Yep, thats why I was asking about brands incase anyone had an experience with the ones in the link. Don't want to be messing around and replacing it twice.

From that list it'd be Behr / FEBI.
Avoid eBay if you can, it's rife with cheap Chinesium pretending to be 'OE quality' - eBay does have good stuff, but separating it from the chaff is annoying.

Cheers for the actually useful post, will most likely just be going for the Behr.

Soldato
Yep, thats why I was asking about brands incase anyone had an experience with the ones in the link. Don't want to be messing around and replacing it twice.

Cheers for the actually useful post, will most likely just be going for the Behr.

Behr is the original part that was fitted from factory. Top tip - get the Mahle branded part. It is the exact same part as the "Behr" (the full company name is actually Mahle Behr GmbH!), but is 25% cheaper. Part number is TM 46 105.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAHLE-TM-46-105-THERMOSTAT-COOLANT/393026859804?

I've bought quite a few parts from this seller - all are great.

Just be aware, BMW say that you also need to get a thermostat adapter when replacing the thermostat too? It seems like the original factory part has been superseded 5 or 6 times with a new part number. It looks as though if your MINI was made prior to February 2013, you need the adapter cable. If it was made after February 2013, you don't. This is the adapter cable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-GEN...USING-ADAPTER-CABLE-12518611289-/173287709569

Back
Top Bottom