Installing a window in a brick wall

Associate
Hi All, The side of my garage is a plain single skin brick wall, I was thinking of adding a window so I could get a bit of light and air in while working without having to have the double garage door open all the time (no other entrance to garage). Was thinking some similar to below. Who would be the best person to call to do this? double glazing company, builder? and could anyone guesstimate now much something like this might cost?

aYbIIsy.jpg

Permabanned
Well, usually with a building that's already built the best thing to do is contact both. The builder will cut a hole, install a lintel, make good the brickwork and then you call the double glazing company and have a window fitted.

Soldato
A roofer would put in a sun tunnel in which would be cheaper easier and cleaner, maybe two?

Also consider what security implications would putting a window in would have and a sun tunnel wouldn't.

Last thing you want to do is have loads of easy to steal and sell valuables on show for someone to relieve you of when you are not home. Outside of electronics and Jewry, garages may hold some of the most attractive stuff to thieves.

I also wouldn't discount how good artificial light is these days, what lighting to you have in there already?

Associate
OP
A roofer would put in a sun tunnel in which would be cheaper easier and cleaner, maybe two?

Also consider what security implications would putting a window in would have and a sun tunnel wouldn't.

Last thing you want to do is have loads of easy to steal and sell valuables on show for someone to relieve you of when you are not home. Outside of electronics and Jewry, garages may hold some of the most attractive stuff to thieves.

I also wouldn't discount how good artificial light is these days, what lighting to you have in there already?

Sun tunnel is great idea not something I had considered off to have a look online now. Cheers guys

Soldato
Well, usually with a building that's already built the best thing to do is contact both. The builder will cut a hole, install a lintel, make good the brickwork and then you call the double glazing company and have a window fitted.

The only thing here is if there's a problem you could end up being piggy in the middle. If you're agreement is with one contractor then the buck stops with them.

Soldato
I have a window in my garage similar to the one you've posted but wider and it provides next to no useful light that you can work with. I have just 2 of the led battens from screwfix for a double garage and they give plenty of light for working on my bikes. I was going to put more in but haven't bothered as there is so much light with just these two.

Although the requirement for air doesn't get solved by lighting it properly.

Associate
OP
I have a window in my garage similar to the one you've posted but wider and it provides next to no useful light that you can work with. I have just 2 of the led battens from screwfix for a double garage and they give plenty of light for working on my bikes. I was going to put more in but haven't bothered as there is so much light with just these two.

Although the requirement for air doesn't get solved by lighting it properly.

Interesting thank you, maybe I should investigate some better roof lighting before knocking holes in walls. I currently have the old style fluorescent tubes which I do know get dimmer over time and to be fair haven't been replaced in a long time.

Soldato
Interesting thank you, maybe I should investigate some better roof lighting before knocking holes in walls. I currently have the old style fluorescent tubes which I do know get dimmer over time and to be fair haven't been replaced in a long time.

Definitely worth chucking some battens in first, amazing how much light they throw out for working, far outweigh what you'll get in the summer from the window and obviously are available year round. If you've already got the fluorescent in there should be an even easier fit.

Associate
We changed to the fluorescent tubes to cheap led batten from Screwfix. They were easy to swap, much slimmer and lighter, and give a bright, clean light. They also come on instantly rather than having to wait several seconds for the previous old lights. Try them first. (Only around £30 pounds I think).

Back
Top Bottom