Clueless wife needs PS4 fighting game advice!

Associate
Hey!

Me and my husband play Tekken 7 which we love. I would like to get him another fighting game for us to play but I am clueless as to what to choose.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
If you want a 3D fighting game then there really isn’t much choice, with Virtua Fighter V being the closest alternative that I know of.

The above recommendations along with Street Fighter 4/5 are all 2D fighters not 3D, so be aware of that if it is important to you.

Soldato
If you have Game Pass there's a bunch on there, including Injustice 2, Killer Instinct, and I think one of the Marvel vs Capcom games.

Given you can get 3 months of Ultimate at the moment for £1 it's worth checking out if you're on Xbox.

Edit: Nm, misread the title about PS4.

Associate
Dead or Alive 5 or 6 are often overlooked fighting games but actually do some things better than Tekken 7 like grappling.

I have both on PC pretty sure both good on PS4 too.

Soldato
Dead or Alive 5 or 6 are often overlooked fighting games but actually do some things better than Tekken 7 like grappling.

I have both on PC pretty sure both good on PS4 too.
There over looked generally as they put all the effort into boob physics than the game itself :p

Associate
There over looked generally as they put all the effort into boob physics than the game itself :p

That's partially true but that's not the reason I got the games... honest.

But seriously there are still a lot of conventional characters as well, at least 20 'normal' ones like you'd get in Tekken plus some MMA based female characters that are more serious for a fighting game. It's less juggly style than Tekken 7 and the DoA game's grappling is the best in any of the modern 3D fighting games. I legit prefer the gameplay of DoA 5 or 6 to Tekken 7.

Caporegime
I found Tekken doesn't really have a rival other than dead or alive.

Mortal Kombat felt I don't know a lot harder to master and more complicated for the casual pick up and play.

Street fighter is the obvious choice if your more of a casual fighting game enthusiast.

You could always go in a different direction and try wwe or UFC or boxing?

Caporegime
The competitive scene is bigger than Tekken, heck even Smash Bros is!

It's easier to pick up and play. For me anyway.

I've never been one to spend a great deal of time trying to master a character or learn combos.

I just jump on play for 10 minutes then off again.

Tekken I found was perfect for that as was street fighter and I enjoyed dead or alive too.

However MK I struggled with. Smash Bros again I struggled with but I never gave it a proper chance as I went straight into online and was probably playing against well experienced players and literally my first ever game.

I have bought a razer panthera Evo however that's for a retropie set up for an arcade build. Mainly street fighter, streets of rage, double dragon style games. I'm going to get the hori hayabusa for the switch as well as I have a few games on there like street fighter and streets of rage 4

Man of Honour
It's easier to pick up and play. For me anyway.

I've never been one to spend a great deal of time trying to master a character or learn combos.

I just jump on play for 10 minutes then off again.

Tekken I found was perfect for that as was street fighter and I enjoyed dead or alive too.

However MK I struggled with. Smash Bros again I struggled with but I never gave it a proper chance as I went straight into online and was probably playing against well experienced players and literally my first ever game.

I have bought a razer panthera Evo however that's for a retropie set up for an arcade build. Mainly street fighter, streets of rage, double dragon style games. I'm going to get the hori hayabusa for the switch as well as I have a few games on there like street fighter and streets of rage 4

All fair points.

Associate
Just to add another good thing about Dead or Alive 5, with about 10 officially Sega licenced Virtua Fighter characters as DLC it's also the closest thing to a Virtua Fighter game for years.

Though they both go way overboard on costume DLC, it's all optional. With both DoA 5 and 6 got I got a sale for a total package incl most all characters, though both also offer totally free base game downloads with just a couple of characters unlocked.

Back
Top Bottom