Arctic freezer 2 280 on 5950x

Soldato
Anyone using one of these on an overclocked ryzen 9?

I have an H110iGT which was doing an admirable job on my 3900x but my 5950x 4.5 all core @ 1.295v is getting very close to 90c when running cinebench r23 and hotter still when running blender benchmark.

Just wondered If the freezer will perform significantly better or if I should accept defeat and try to get something more exotic?
Thanks
Scott

Soldato
OP
what temps do you get doing normal stuff as that is what matters.
I came to the same realisation earlier. I can't get it quite stable at 4.5 with my cooling so I just enabled pbo (which is doing a fantastic job compared to on my 3000 CPU) it's now boosting all core to 4.35 and single core to around 5ghz while never going above 81c

Associate
I came to the same realisation earlier. I can't get it quite stable at 4.5 with my cooling so I just enabled pbo (which is doing a fantastic job compared to on my 3000 CPU) it's now boosting all core to 4.35 and single core to around 5ghz while never going above 81c

I get just over 70c with my 5800x on the 360mm AIO (same result with the 280mm but returned it as I couldn't top mount it in my case) in R23 multi-core (no OC).

I believe that the 280mm is thicker so you should get better cooling but fitment might be an issue.

Associate
There isn't much difference between aios. It depends mostly on the fans. Good fans can mean either a greater total airflow (and thus a tiny bit cooler) or more normally (as I don't know anyone who runs their fans at 100% other mining) quieter at a given airflow.

Fitting your aio with some better fans (such as the artic p12/p14s) on the freezer would allow you to get a bit more airflow for the same volume. But really the effects will be within a few degrees.

A 5950x is a big chip. Overclocking hard is always going to need a big cooler if you want low temps.
What workloads and temperatures are you putting this rig thorough in normal use? Anything in the low 80s is normally considered fine.

Soldato
OP
I've upgraded the fans already to Corsair ML ones. After using PBO my temperatures never seem to go above 82c which isn't too bad for 4.35 all core with an AIO I suppose :)

Soldato
Wouldn’t bother changing the AIO. Just play around with PBO settings and see where it gets you.

the new ryzen tuner should be able to help with undervolting etc when that is released.

Soldato
No I changed my H110iGT ones for ML ones. I was only thinking about buying the Arctic.
I've had the Corsair AIO though don't have it anymore to be able to make a direct comparison but I suspect that you would see it at least a 5 degree difference and probably nearer 10 degree difference for the same noise level.

If I were you I would get the Freezer II 280 and test for yourself to see how big the difference really is for your case. if the improvement is not big enough for you then you can just return it within the 14-days. Just make sure to keep the packaging, contents and unit in as pristine condition as when you opened it. It will just cost you the return postage, which was ~£6 when I tested out the Freezer II 360. (Which was worse than the 280 in my case)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom